RE: [wmlprogramming] Using WURFL or UAProf?

  • geoff freed
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
      Hi, Luca:

      > geoff freed wrote:
      >
      > >Hello, Everyone:
      > >
      > >I am a researcher at the National Center for Accessible Media at the
      > >WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, MA (http://ncam.wgbh.org).
      > >On behalf of a client, I am investigating methods of effectively
      > >transmitting usable, appropriately reformatted Web sites to wireless
      > >devices, especially PDAs. I've been reading a lot about WURFL and
      > >UAProf, and would like to hear from developers who have actually
      > >implemented these technologies. I'd like to know about Web
      > sites that
      > >are delivered using WURFL or UAProf, and I'd like to know
      > how much time
      > >and trouble it cost to put these approaches into use, as well as if
      > >they are judged to be effective.
      > >

      > I don't quite understand if you are thinking of building a
      > mobile site from scratch or if you are looking for ways to
      > dynamically reformat an existing web site.

      Actually, my job is to gather the information and help this particular
      client make the best decision regarding solutions for mobile delivery, and
      eventually the client will do the building. So I guess the answer to your
      question is really "both." Because this client has a large number of pages
      that will need to be made available to mobile devices, I'm thinking that the
      dynamic-reformatting approach may be the most efficient, as well as the most
      cost-effective. But I need to research all options.

      >I suggest you read
      > this and come back with more specific questions later:
      >
      > http://www.passani.it/gap/

      I will definitely read this carefully. Thanks for the lead.

      > >If you'd like to respond, please send a message to me off-list.
      > >

      > this is not good netiquette. Public questions should be
      > answered publicly, unless there are special reasons not to do so.

      Sorry-- I didn't mean to preclude answers on the list. I wanted to give a
      private-response option to those who didn't want to divulge potentially
      sensitive information. Public answers are, of course, welcome!

      Thanks.
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
        geoff freed wrote:

        > I'm thinking that the
        >dynamic-reformatting approach may be the most efficient, as well as the most
        >cost-effective. But I need to research all options.

        I wouldn't be so sure. First, it's operators who set up the
        infrastructure for such dynamic reformatting. There are some free
        services on the internet though. Here is a list of companies in that space:

        http://www.widerweb.com/
        http://www.infogin.com/
        http://www.skweezer.com/
        http://mobileleap.net/

        Google offers the same service too. There are at least another 4 or 5
        smaller companies that offer the same.
        I would also keep in mind that, no matter how good the reformatting
        process is, you will never get near the usability levels of a site built
        for mobile from the ground up. Developers know what makes sense to
        access on a mobile device and what doesn't better than programs. And I
        haven't even mentioned all the flash, frames, javascript, that you
        typically find on web pages and which cannot be ported to mobile