HTTP Referer Header Field

  • ALEX HYDE
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
      Hi All,

      Can anyone confirm whether the 'Referer' field is
      included by all manufacturers as a mandatory HTTP
      Request Header? I ask because in the emulators I have
      been testing on, it does not seem to be included, for
      example, Nokia series 40, and YoSpace.

      Thanks alot

      Alex

    • jason marshall
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
        The 'Referer' header is an optional header. Some URLs have no
        referrer (hand-typed, bookmarks), and some browsers omit this data for
        simplicity's sake, privacy, or even security reasons in some case
        (think: hyperlinks from a web mail account).

        I can't comment on why some phones don't provide this data, or which
        phones those might be, but I can say that it's not at all surprising
        to me that some don't.

        -Jason

        On 12/30/05, ALEX HYDE <alex.hyde@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Can anyone confirm whether the 'Referer' field is
        > included by all manufacturers as a mandatory HTTP
        > Request Header? I ask because in the emulators I have
        > been testing on, it does not seem to be included, for
        > example, Nokia series 40, and YoSpace.
        >
        > Thanks alot
        >
        > Alex

        -Jason
      • HARSHEN PARIKH
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2005
          Hi! Everyone how are we? well i guess Referer header has to do of implementing a back button in the mobile site which i have been trying to figure out but doesn't seems to be working as i can't use simply referer header because not all the phones support it? Do u have any idea how to implement the back button on mobile site?

          cheers
          Harshen

          On 12/30/05, ALEX HYDE wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > Can anyone confirm whether the 'Referer' field is
          > included by all manufacturers as a mandatory HTTP
          > Request Header? I ask because in the emulators I have
          > been testing on, it does not seem to be included, for
          > example, Nokia series 40, and YoSpace.
          >
          > Thanks alot
          >
          > Alex

          -Jason

          As of July 14 2005, it's much easier to be banned from WMLProgramming!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
            ALEX HYDE wrote:

            >Hi All,
            >
            >Can anyone confirm whether the 'Referer' field is
            >included by all manufacturers as a mandatory HTTP
            >Request Header? I ask because in the emulators I have
            >been testing on, it does not seem to be included, for
            >example, Nokia series 40, and YoSpace.

            this would actually be a great capability for the XHTML MP browsers:

            xhtml_supports_http_referer

            together with

            xhtml_built_in_back_button_support

            people could use it to decide if they want to implement links which
            replace WML-style back-buttons for devices which do not support back
            buttons, but have the referrer set to true.
            Devices that have neither back buttons nor referrers could be provided
            with a link to the some main or secondary entry point in the application.

            Luca
          • Andrea Trasatti
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
              Il giorno 01/gen/06, alle ore 14:09, Luca Passani ha scritto:

              > ALEX HYDE wrote:
              >
              >> Hi All,
              >>
              >> Can anyone confirm whether the 'Referer' field is
              >> included by all manufacturers as a mandatory HTTP
              >> Request Header? I ask because in the emulators I have
              >> been testing on, it does not seem to be included, for
              >> example, Nokia series 40, and YoSpace.
              >>

              > this would actually be a great capability for the XHTML MP browsers:
              >
              > xhtml_supports_http_referer
              >
              > together with
              >
              > xhtml_built_in_back_button_support
              >
              > people could use it to decide if they want to implement links which
              > replace WML-style back-buttons for devices which do not support back
              > buttons, but have the referrer set to true.
              > Devices that have neither back buttons nor referrers could be provided
              > with a link to the some main or secondary entry point in the
              > application.

              This is just a quick reply, but yes, I have seen devices providing
              the referer and others NOT providing it.
              I think in the future we might even see a "send referer" option in
              the option menus of mobile devices.

              Luca, I think the capability about referer is not very useful. If the
              device provides it, you'll have it in the HTTP headers, if you don't
              have it, it's simply not sent. There's not much the server can do
              about it.

              Andrea Trasatti
              My Blog: http://trasatti.blogspot.com/
              W3C MWI invited expert
            • Laurent Perez
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
                > This is just a quick reply, but yes, I have seen devices providing
                > the referer and others NOT providing it.

                Isn't the referer often hidden by operator gateways or even being the
                gateway ip itself ?

                laurent