RE: [wmlprogramming] Problem About Using OMA-DRM with Web Browser Installed in the Device

  • Nicolas Combelles
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
      OMA-DRM is for mobile .. PC browsers doesn't handle such feature.

      You should just forbbid connexion from a PC by filtering IP (allowing only
      those from the country telco gateways).

      But if you want to provide download from PC, then you have to use a
      different method ..

      Cheers,
      Nico.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
        Hi Nico,

        Thanks for your post.

        I am using PHP. So how do I filter IP using PHP, to devide the
        browsers installed in the device?

        It is great if you can give me the PHP code.

        --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolas Combelles"
        <nicolas.combelles@a...> wrote:

        > OMA-DRM is for mobile .. PC browsers doesn't handle such feature.
        >
        > You should just forbbid connexion from a PC by filtering IP
        (allowing only
        > those from the country telco gateways).
        >
        > But if you want to provide download from PC, then you have to use a
        > different method ..
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Nico.

      • Michael Kaye
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
          Anuruddha wrote:

          >Hi Nico,
          >
          >Thanks for your post.
          >
          >I am using PHP. So how do I filter IP using PHP, to devide the
          >browsers installed in the device?
          >
          >It is great if you can give me the PHP code.

          You know you're incredibly lazy, right? From the PHP website search
          function:

          http://uk2.php.net/search.php?show=wholesite&pattern=ip

          Do a bit of reading, and searching before you post such questions to the
          list, especially when this isn't a PHP list.

          I'm sure you can work out how to test the IP returned to see if it
          matches a gateway of one of the mobile operators.

          No I don't have a list, you'll have to go ask them yourself =:) If you
          do find out, then maybe the GURFL project will get off the ground, but
          that's for the future.

          Asking for code is like asking people to do work for you. If you want
          people to do this, then I'd suggest a site such as rentacoder.com, where
          you can pay programmers for small projects.

          Michael
        • Andrea Trasatti
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2005
            Nicolas I think Anuruddha means that the mobile device has an Opera
            browser installed, such as Opera for Symbian.

            Anuruddha, in my opinion we should check this with Opera, for
            example, an in case remove the forward lock support for those
            browsers. On the other side I wonder, when a file is protected with
            DRM, who takes care of it? If it works with the WAP browser
            preinstalled and does not work with Opera installed later, it means
            that the WAP browser does something to the file before storing it.

            - Andrea

            Il giorno 01/lug/05, alle ore 10:35, Nicolas Combelles ha scritto:

            > OMA-DRM is for mobile .. PC browsers doesn't handle such feature.
            >
            > You should just forbbid connexion from a PC by filtering IP
            > (allowing only
            > those from the country telco gateways).
            >
            > But if you want to provide download from PC, then you have to use a
            > different method ..
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Nico.

            Andrea Trasatti
            My Blog: http://trasatti.blogspot.com/
          • Nicolas Combelles
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2005
              Ohh .. Yes I think I've read too fast. Or maybe you're a farseer Andrea :oD.

              Anuruddha > I was talking about filtering in the server config (ex. htaccess
              file for Apache).
              But if Andrea's guess is correct, please give much details about the exact
              browsers you tried on which devices. Which is default browser, and which one
              you installed after.

              Cheers,
              Nico.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6, 2005
                Hi Michael,

                Thanks for your post.

                Sorry for my delay.

                >You know you're incredibly lazy, right?

                No. I am not a lazy guy. I love to work but didn't like to do things
                that someone has already done.

                >I'm sure you can work out how to test the IP returned to see if it
                >matches a gateway of one of the mobile operators.
                >No I don't have a list, you'll have to go ask them yourself =:) If
                you
                >do find out, then maybe the GURFL project will get off the ground,
                but
                >that's for the future.

                Thanks for your suggestions. I will try.

                >Asking for code is like asking people to do work for you. If you
                want
                >people to do this, then I'd suggest a site such as rentacoder.com,
                where
                >you can pay programmers for small projects.

                I don't think so. I just ask for the code because sometimes, someone
                already had the code.I thought this way is better than searching the
                BIG WEB.

                Am I wrong?

                --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaye <michael@m...>
                wrote:
                > Anuruddha wrote:
                >
                > >Hi Nico,
                > >
                > >Thanks for your post.
                > >
                > >I am using PHP. So how do I filter IP using PHP, to devide the
                > >browsers installed in the device?
                > >
                > >It is great if you can give me the PHP code.
                > >

                > You know you're incredibly lazy, right? From the PHP website search
                > function:
                >
                > http://uk2.php.net/search.php?show=wholesite&pattern=ip
                >
                > Do a bit of reading, and searching before you post such questions
                to the
                > list, especially when this isn't a PHP list.
                >
                > I'm sure you can work out how to test the IP returned to see if it
                > matches a gateway of one of the mobile operators.
                >
                > No I don't have a list, you'll have to go ask them yourself =:) If
                you
                > do find out, then maybe the GURFL project will get off the ground,
                but
                > that's for the future.
                >
                > Asking for code is like asking people to do work for you. If you
                want
                > people to do this, then I'd suggest a site such as rentacoder.com,
                where
                > you can pay programmers for small projects.
                >
                > Michael
              • Andrea Trasatti
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Il giorno 07/lug/05, alle ore 07:01, Anuruddha ha scritto:

                  > Hi Michael,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your post.
                  >
                  > Sorry for my delay.
                  >

                  >> You know you're incredibly lazy, right?
                  >>

                  > No. I am not a lazy guy. I love to work but didn't like to do things
                  > that someone has already done.
                  >

                  >> I'm sure you can work out how to test the IP returned to see if it
                  >> matches a gateway of one of the mobile operators.
                  >> No I don't have a list, you'll have to go ask them yourself =:) If
                  >>
                  > you
                  >
                  >> do find out, then maybe the GURFL project will get off the ground,
                  >>
                  > but
                  >
                  >> that's for the future.
                  >>

                  > Thanks for your suggestions. I will try.
                  >

                  >> Asking for code is like asking people to do work for you. If you
                  >>
                  > want
                  >
                  >> people to do this, then I'd suggest a site such as rentacoder.com,
                  >>
                  > where
                  >
                  >> you can pay programmers for small projects.
                  >>

                  > I don't think so. I just ask for the code because sometimes, someone
                  > already had the code.I thought this way is better than searching the
                  > BIG WEB.
                  >
                  > Am I wrong?

                  That is often true. We already posted some code to you, that is what
                  we had ready.

                  - Andrea
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Anuruddha wrote:

                    >>You know you're incredibly lazy, right?
                    >>

                    >No. I am not a lazy guy. I love to work but didn't like to do things
                    >that someone has already done.

                    what if I got even lazier in dealing with this crap and I banned you
                    from the list?

                    Luca
                  • Anuruddha
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 7, 2005
                      Hi Andrea,

                      Thanks for your post.

                      Yes. you are correct. I am talking about the mobile device has an web
                      browser installed, such as Opera for Symbian.

                      >Anuruddha, in my opinion we should check this with Opera, for
                      >example, an in case remove the forward lock support for those
                      >browsers.

                      How do I check this with opera? Is using the headers sent by the
                      browser.

                      >On the other side I wonder, when a file is protected with
                      >DRM, who takes care of it? If it works with the WAP browser
                      >preinstalled and does not work with Opera installed later, it means
                      >that the WAP browser does something to the file before storing it.

                      Yes. I think you are correct. It worked well with default browser
                      installed in the device. But made problems with the opera browser.
                      Actually I test this with the Nokia 6600.

                      Do you have any solution for this issue?

                      --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Trasatti <andrea@t...>

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 7, 2005
                        Hi Nico,

                        Thanks for your post.

                        Yes, Andrea's guess is correct.

                        I used Nokia 6600 device to test the forward lock support files.
                        First I test with the default wap browser which came with the
                        device. It worked well and no problem occured.

                        Then I test it with the opera browser which installed by myself.
                        When I click to download the forward lock support files, instead of
                        downloading file, it gave me an option to download the ".dm" file.

                        What do you think?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 7, 2005
                          Hi Andrea,

                          Thanks for your post.

                          I did't see your new post. I am very sorry about that. I posted my
                          reply to your earlier post. Please look my previous post for you.
                          thanks.

                          wrote:

                          > Il giorno 07/lug/05, alle ore 07:01, Anuruddha ha scritto:
                          >
                          > > Hi Michael,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your post.
                          > >
                          > > Sorry for my delay.
                          > >

                          > >> You know you're incredibly lazy, right?
                          > >>

                          > > No. I am not a lazy guy. I love to work but didn't like to do
                          things
                          > > that someone has already done.
                          > >

                          > >> I'm sure you can work out how to test the IP returned to see if
                          it
                          > >> matches a gateway of one of the mobile operators.
                          > >> No I don't have a list, you'll have to go ask them yourself =:)
                          If

                          > > you
                          > >
                          > >> do find out, then maybe the GURFL project will get off the
                          ground,

                          > > but
                          > >
                          > >> that's for the future.
                          > >>

                          > > Thanks for your suggestions. I will try.
                          > >

                          > >> Asking for code is like asking people to do work for you. If you
                          > >>
                          > > want
                          > >
                          > >> people to do this, then I'd suggest a site such as
                          rentacoder.com,

                          > > where
                          > >
                          > >> you can pay programmers for small projects.
                          > >>

                          > > I don't think so. I just ask for the code because sometimes,
                          someone
                          > > already had the code.I thought this way is better than searching
                          the
                          > > BIG WEB.
                          > >
                          > > Am I wrong?
                          >
                          > That is often true. We already posted some code to you, that is
                          what
                          > we had ready.
                          >
                          > - Andrea
                        • Andrea Trasatti
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 8, 2005
                            Il giorno 07/lug/05, alle ore 20:14, Anuruddha ha scritto:

                            > Hi Nico,
                            >
                            > Thanks for your post.
                            >
                            > Yes, Andrea's guess is correct.
                            >
                            > I used Nokia 6600 device to test the forward lock support files.
                            > First I test with the default wap browser which came with the
                            > device. It worked well and no problem occured.
                            >
                            > Then I test it with the opera browser which installed by myself.
                            > When I click to download the forward lock support files, instead of
                            > downloading file, it gave me an option to download the ".dm" file.
                            >
                            > What do you think?

                            The only solution, IMO, is to send non-drm files to Opera, or, when
                            you see it and you know that the device also has a built-in browser
                            that supports DRM, tell the user to use the other browser.... Some
                            users might not be happy about this, though.

                            WRT WURFL, we should change the settings and make sure that Opera
                            browsers have the DRM support set to false. I will also see if I can
                            get any extra information from the Opera guys.

                            Ciao

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 8, 2005
                              Yes, if it's downloading it as any unkown file, it is either that :

                              - Browser doesn't handle such files (no DRM support).
                              - Browser doesn't recognize the file type (maybe a http header ContentType /
                              Server mime type issue ???).

                              Cheers,
                              Nico.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 10, 2005
                                Hi Andrea,

                                Thanks for your post.

                                >The only solution, IMO, is to send non-drm files to Opera, or,
                                when
                                >you see it and you know that the device also has a built-in
                                browser
                                >that supports DRM, tell the user to use the other browser.... Some
                                >users might not be happy about this, though.

                                Yes, I think your solution is correct. But the users definitely will
                                not like this. However if we have no choice, we have to do this.

                                >WRT WURFL, we should change the settings and make sure that Opera
                                >browsers have the DRM support set to false.

                                Yes, I think so.
                                How can we do this? Using patch file or make changes to the original
                                wurfl.xml.

                                >I will also see if I can
                                >get any extra information from the Opera guys.

                                Thanks Andrea. that's great.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 10, 2005
                                  Hi Nico,

                                  Thanks for your post.

                                  Yes, Sometimes your guess may be correct.

                                  In Andrea's last post, he told he try to get more information from
                                  Opera. If it works, we can resolve this issue.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 11, 2005
                                    Il giorno 10/lug/05, alle ore 11:26, Anuruddha ha scritto:

                                    > Hi Andrea,
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your post.
                                    >

                                    >> The only solution, IMO, is to send non-drm files to Opera, or,
                                    >>
                                    > when
                                    >
                                    >> you see it and you know that the device also has a built-in
                                    >>
                                    > browser
                                    >
                                    >> that supports DRM, tell the user to use the other browser.... Some
                                    >> users might not be happy about this, though.
                                    >>

                                    > Yes, I think your solution is correct. But the users definitely will
                                    > not like this. However if we have no choice, we have to do this.
                                    >

                                    >> WRT WURFL, we should change the settings and make sure that Opera
                                    >> browsers have the DRM support set to false.
                                    >>

                                    > Yes, I think so.
                                    > How can we do this? Using patch file or make changes to the original
                                    > wurfl.xml.
                                    >

                                    >> I will also see if I can
                                    >> get any extra information from the Opera guys.
                                    >>

                                    > Thanks Andrea. that's great.

                                    My suggestion is that you do it in a patch file, in the meantime.
                                    When I will get a confirmation from Opera (hopefully soon) we can
                                    patch the main XML.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 12, 2005
                                      Hi Andrea,

                                      Thanks for your reply.

                                      Thanks again. I will use patch file.

                                      But the problem is currently I am using WEB PATCH. So in the latest
                                      PHP Library (v2.1 beta 2) there is no method to use the multiple
                                      patch files.

                                      May I append my own code to the web_browsers_patch.xml?

                                      >When I will get a confirmation from Opera (hopefully soon) we can
                                      >patch the main XML.

                                      That's nice. Because I think it is better than using the patch file.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 14, 2005
                                        Il giorno 12/lug/05, alle ore 21:02, Anuruddha ha scritto:

                                        > Hi Andrea,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for your reply.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks again. I will use patch file.
                                        >
                                        > But the problem is currently I am using WEB PATCH. So in the latest
                                        > PHP Library (v2.1 beta 2) there is no method to use the multiple
                                        > patch files.
                                        >
                                        > May I append my own code to the web_browsers_patch.xml?

                                        You may modify the web browsers patch and include your own
                                        modifications (within the wurfl_patch tag) or use the XSL tools to
                                        apply more patches to an XML and generate a single XML.

                                        I received a few modifications the PHP library, so we might soon have
                                        the PHP tools 2.2 with multiple patch support.

                                        >> When I will get a confirmation from Opera (hopefully soon) we can
                                        >> patch the main XML.
                                        >>

                                        > That's nice. Because I think it is better than using the patch file.

                                        Opera has quickly confirmed that Series 60 devices with Opera
                                        installed by the end-user does NOT support OMA DRM. Devices with
                                        Opera pre-installed might support it. My contact at Opera told me he
                                        would let us have a list as soon as possible. The Opera guys are
                                        always nice and prompt at replies!

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 16, 2005
                                          Hi Andrea,

                                          Thanks for your reply.

                                          >You may modify the web browsers patch and include your own
                                          >modifications (within the wurfl_patch tag) or use the XSL tools to
                                          >apply more patches to an XML and generate a single XML.

                                          Ok. I will append my code to the web_browsers_patch.xml.

                                          >received a few modifications the PHP library, so we might soon have
                                          >the PHP tools 2.2 with multiple patch support.

                                          Thanks, That is nice to hear.

                                          >Opera has quickly confirmed that Series 60 devices with Opera
                                          >installed by the end-user does NOT support OMA DRM. Devices with
                                          >Opera pre-installed might support it. My contact at Opera told me he
                                          >would let us have a list as soon as possible. The Opera guys are
                                          >always nice and prompt at replies!

                                          Andrea, thanks a lot. Also thanks for Opera guys.