Re: [wmlprogramming] WURLF and //SCKL

  • Andrea Trasatti
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      Il giorno 01/set/04, alle 00:45, Alejandro Guerrieri ha scritto:

      [.. CUT ..]
      > Regarding Motorolas, many of them accept text-only messages with an
      > iMelody message as a payload (they are limited to only one message,
      > there's not a way to concatenate them as the //SCKL does). The only
      > important thing is to end it with a NewLine, or it will arrive as
      > text. I've tested with C331, C353, v120 and v60 and it worked (only
      > one very old v60 didn't worked). It has nothing to do with EMS, no UDH
      > encoding nore binary headers, just plain text (and NewLines) on the
      > SMS message. It works! Brief melodies, though, since iMelody is
      > somewhat verbose and the headers account for a good third of the 160
      > characters.

      Ok. This is for my own reference and maybe to be posted on the WURFL
      documentation page, is there any spec file that we can refer to about
      the possibility of sending iMelody as a text message?

      - Andrea
    • Alejandro Guerrieri
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:17:47 +0200, Andrea Trasatti <andrea@...> wrote:

        > Il giorno 01/set/04, alle 00:45, Alejandro Guerrieri ha scritto:
        >
        > [.. CUT ..]
        > > Regarding Motorolas, many of them accept text-only messages with an
        > > iMelody message as a payload (they are limited to only one message,
        > > there's not a way to concatenate them as the //SCKL does). The only
        > > important thing is to end it with a NewLine, or it will arrive as
        > > text. I've tested with C331, C353, v120 and v60 and it worked (only
        > > one very old v60 didn't worked). It has nothing to do with EMS, no UDH
        > > encoding nore binary headers, just plain text (and NewLines) on the
        > > SMS message. It works! Brief melodies, though, since iMelody is
        > > somewhat verbose and the headers account for a good third of the 160
        > > characters.
        >
        > Ok. This is for my own reference and maybe to be posted on the WURFL
        > documentation page, is there any spec file that we can refer to about
        > the possibility of sending iMelody as a text message?
        >
        > - Andrea
        >

        > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions: http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Andrea,

        I didn't find any docs. Motorola doesn't provide too much information
        about formats anyway. I did it by trial and error.

        What I do is as follows:

        1. Remove any non-essential tag. The format and version ones are
        completely unnecesary, for example. They waste a lot of space,
        specially when you are limited to only one SMS per melody.

        2. Make sure that you put a newline after the last line or it wont
        work. A regular unix newline worked for me (I didn't tried the windows
        way, <cr><lf> it would waste a byte per line anyway)

        3. Send it as a regular text message. Of course, url-encoded.

        Here is an example for "Chiquitita" from ABBA:

        BEGIN:IMELODY
        NAME:chiquitita
        BEAT:87
        MELODY:*5#c4d4e3#f3e5:d4#c3e1e1:#c4d4e2#f2#g3#f4e5:#g3e0r3#g2.#f4#g4a2.#f3e2.*4b5:*5#c5:d2d2d3#c3*4b3a1
        END:IMELODY

        Note I removed the version/format tags.

        There's no way to concatenate this kind of message on CDMA/TDMA
        networks. I didn't tried this method on GSM networks, maybe setting
        the UDH for concatenation would allow to send iMelodies spanning 2 or
        3 messages, but in that case I would probably use EMS anyway.

        Hope it helps.
      • Andrea Trasatti
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
          Il giorno 01/set/04, alle 13:19, Alejandro Guerrieri ha scritto:

          > I didn't find any docs. Motorola doesn't provide too much information
          > about formats anyway. I did it by trial and error.

          Ok, so the idea would be to add some new capabilities to the new group
          SMS that we are going to introduce.
          My proposal is:
          <capability name="sckl_ringtone" value="false"/>
          <capability name="sckl_operatorlogo" value="false"/>
          <capability name="sckl_groupgraphic" value="false"/>
          <capability name="sckl_vcard" value="false"/>
          <capability name="sckl_vcalendar" value="false"/>
          <capability name="sckl_imelody" value="false"/>

          What do you think? Ed?

          Then we'll need a list of devices that support the format.
        • Alejandro Guerrieri
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
            It seems perfect, at least for my needs.

            The only confusing one is "sckl_imelody". iMelody it's not
            sckl-encoded, it's just the iMelody data sent as text, maybe should
            say something like "text_imelody" or something like that.

            I'll provide all the info I have from my tests. I've tried many TDMA
            and some GSM Nokias and Motorolas. I have a Clickatell account, I
            could spend some credits for tests if you want :)

            Best regards,

            On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:55:03 +0200, Andrea Trasatti <andrea@...> wrote:
            > Il giorno 01/set/04, alle 13:19, Alejandro Guerrieri ha scritto:
            >
            > > I didn't find any docs. Motorola doesn't provide too much information
            > > about formats anyway. I did it by trial and error.
            >
            > Ok, so the idea would be to add some new capabilities to the new group
            > SMS that we are going to introduce.
            > My proposal is:
            > <capability name="sckl_ringtone" value="false"/>
            > <capability name="sckl_operatorlogo" value="false"/>
            > <capability name="sckl_groupgraphic" value="false"/>
            > <capability name="sckl_vcard" value="false"/>
            > <capability name="sckl_vcalendar" value="false"/>
            > <capability name="sckl_imelody" value="false"/>
            >
            > What do you think? Ed?
            >
            > Then we'll need a list of devices that support the format.
            >

            > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions: http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andrea Trasatti
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
              Il giorno 01/set/04, alle 18:11, Alejandro Guerrieri ha scritto:

              > It seems perfect, at least for my needs.
              >
              > The only confusing one is "sckl_imelody". iMelody it's not
              > sckl-encoded, it's just the iMelody data sent as text, maybe should
              > say something like "text_imelody" or something like that.

              That's certainly my mistake!

              > I'll provide all the info I have from my tests. I've tried many TDMA
              > and some GSM Nokias and Motorolas. I have a Clickatell account, I
              > could spend some credits for tests if you want :)

              Let's start with what you already have and then we'll consider other
              tests. I don't want to make you start sending (read wasting) your
              credits to send an SMS to anyone on the list. ;)

              Give me one or two more days and I'll provide the very latest WURFL
              with the new groups and all and then we'll talk of how you could help
              the project.

              Regards,
              Andrea
            • Ed Toon
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                Other than the imelody thing, that looks good... Maybe use something like
                raw_imelody or mot_imelody?

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                  On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:25:07 +0200, Andrea Trasatti <andrea@...> wrote:
                  > Il giorno 01/set/04, alle 18:11, Alejandro Guerrieri ha scritto:
                  >
                  > > It seems perfect, at least for my needs.
                  > >
                  > > The only confusing one is "sckl_imelody". iMelody it's not
                  > > sckl-encoded, it's just the iMelody data sent as text, maybe should
                  > > say something like "text_imelody" or something like that.
                  >
                  > That's certainly my mistake!
                  >
                  > > I'll provide all the info I have from my tests. I've tried many TDMA
                  > > and some GSM Nokias and Motorolas. I have a Clickatell account, I
                  > > could spend some credits for tests if you want :)
                  >
                  > Let's start with what you already have and then we'll consider other
                  > tests. I don't want to make you start sending (read wasting) your
                  > credits to send an SMS to anyone on the list. ;)
                  >
                  > Give me one or two more days and I'll provide the very latest WURFL
                  > with the new groups and all and then we'll talk of how you could help
                  > the project.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Andrea

                  Ok then!

                  Please let me know how can I be of assistance.

                  Regards,