Re: [wmlprogramming] IMEI (TAC/FAC) to UserAgent (only Brand and Model)

  • luca
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2004
      Hi there, we discussed this idea of including IMEI information in
      the WURFL last year. We decided not to go ahead with it for a few reasons:

      - programmers do not normally have access to the device IMEI
      programmatically for each request. So this would be only
      limitedly helpful to the people who do need the WURFL.

      - we need a map of how to break down the IMEI number to
      identify the models

      - is there a public list of IMEIs? I couldn't find one...

      If you work for an operator and have access to IMEI, let us know.
      depending on how much info you can provide, we may consider
      adding IMEI info into the WURFL...

      thank you

      luca

      pbmoita wrote:

      > Hi there !
      >
      > Is there any way to convert IMEI TAC/FAC to a Partial UserAgent,
      > only the Brand and Model part (e.g. "Nokia3410") ?
      >
      > Is there any place where to get this information ?
      >
      > The really important issue I must solve is, giving an IMEI, how to
      > use WURFL database in a reliable manner !
      > Any ideas ?

    • pbmoita
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
        Hi Luca,

        I´m gonna try to answer your questions:

        > - we need a map of how to break down the IMEI number to
        > identify the models
        IMEI is composed of 15 digits, decomposed like this:

        TAC (Type Approval Code) - 6 digits
        FAC (Final Assembly Code) - 2 digits
        Serial Number - 6 digits
        Check Digit - 1 digit

        But, from 01/01/2003, IMEI is decomposed like this:

        TAC (Type Approval Code) - 8 digits
        Serial Number - 6 digits
        Check Digit - 1 digit

        Basically, if we can find the first 8 digits, we will be capable of
        uniquely identify the brand and model of a mobile phone.
        Unfortunately, there are several TAC/FAC numbers for one brand and
        model.
        This means that, within a certain mobile phone (e.g. "Nokia7650"),
        we can have a list of TAC/FAC (8 digit) numbers. With it, we would
        be able to get all capabilities from an IMEI (actually just the
        TAC/FAC part).

        > - is there a public list of IMEIs? I couldn't find one...
        No, the only thing that is somewhat public is the TAC/FAC list. This
        is available from the GSM Association, if we are a member.
        The question is: is WURFL a member ?
        I think not, but maybe it can be an associate member. If you want,
        you can see their site page
        http://www.gsmworld.com/about/membership/index.shtml.

        Until now, IMEIs are only available to operators, which have access
        to the mobile phones IMEIs through the core GSM system. And this is
        really the main reason why the IMEI is not so helpful right now.
        But this is changing on the newer phones. Symbian 60 series already
        can get programmatically the IMEI of the phone, and so get the
        TAC/FAC and verify which are their capabilities, at run-time.
        I think the TAC/FAC will be useful at a near future for every
        programmer :-)

        > If you work for an operator and have access to IMEI, let us know.
        > depending on how much info you can provide, we may consider
        > adding IMEI info into the WURFL...
        Yes, you are right, i work at an operator. I cannot get you the IMEI
        list, as it is confidential for the client.
        However i´m trying to get an authorization to pass you the TAC/FAC
        list that i talk about previously. I don´t know if i can have it,
        the most probable answer is no...
        That was why i told you about the GSM world associate member
        possibility, but still a long shot.

        So, when i have some more news about the authorization i will tell
        you, meanwhile please see if you/WURFL are interested in having the
        TAC/FAC numbers attached to each mobile, and in being an associate
        member of GSM Association.

        Thanks, best regards,
        Pedro Moita.

        -- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, luca <passani@e...> wrote:

        > Hi there, we discussed this idea of including IMEI information in
        > the WURFL last year. We decided not to go ahead with it for a few
        reasons:

        > - programmers do not normally have access to the device IMEI
        > programmatically for each request. So this would be only
        > limitedly helpful to the people who do need the WURFL.
        >
        > - we need a map of how to break down the IMEI number to
        > identify the models
        >
        > - is there a public list of IMEIs? I couldn't find one...
        >
        > If you work for an operator and have access to IMEI, let us know.
        > depending on how much info you can provide, we may consider
        > adding IMEI info into the WURFL...
        >
        > thank you
        >
        > luca
        >

        > pbmoita wrote:
        >
        > > Hi there !
        > >
        > > Is there any way to convert IMEI TAC/FAC to a Partial UserAgent,
        > > only the Brand and Model part (e.g. "Nokia3410") ?
        > >
        > > Is there any place where to get this information ?
        > >
        > > The really important issue I must solve is, giving an IMEI, how
        > > use WURFL database in a reliable manner !
        > > Any ideas ?

      • luca
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
          Pedro, thank you for sharing this info.

          The idea of adding the first 8 digits of the IMEI info
          is tempting, particularly because it might make the WURFL more
          palatable to operators.
          Of course, I think that ANdrea is the one who has to tell us if he is
          willing to support this idea, since this means more info that he has to maintain.

          Also, I wouldn't embark in this before we know that someone can provide the
          info on many phones. It can only be confidential to a point, given that
          you can display the IMEI on every phone...

          thank you

          luca

        • Jacques Caron
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
            At 13:30 05/03/2004, luca wrote:
            >- is there a public list of IMEIs? I couldn't find one...

            If I remember correctly, the first two digits identify the authority which
            delivers the next 4 or 6 digits. Some of those authorities publish the list
            of their assignments, but I don't believe that is the case for all (or at
            least I didn't find them last time I checked).

            Jacques.

            -- Interactive Media Factory SARL
            SMS, SMS+, IVR & WAP development and services
            http://www.imfeurope.com/
          • philippe bertramo
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2004
              Just by curiosity, can you name some of the authorities ?
              Thanks
              Philippe

              ns.groups.yahoo.com]On Behalf Of Jacques Caron
              Sent: 23 March 2004 14:01
              To: wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [wmlprogramming] IMEI (TAC/FAC) to UserAgent (only Brand
              and Model)

              At 13:30 05/03/2004, luca wrote:
              >- is there a public list of IMEIs? I couldn't find one...

              If I remember correctly, the first two digits identify the authority which
              delivers the next 4 or 6 digits. Some of those authorities publish the list
              of their assignments, but I don't believe that is the case for all (or at
              least I didn't find them last time I checked).

              Jacques.

              -- Interactive Media Factory SARL
              SMS, SMS+, IVR & WAP development and services
              http://www.imfeurope.com/

              Please read the FAQ before you ask questions: http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

              subscription options
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Jacques Caron
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                At 22:49 25/03/2004, philippe bertramo wrote:
                >Just by curiosity, can you name some of the authorities ?

                Mmm...

                One is BABT:

                http://docdb.babt.com/docdb/list/list.asp?List=GSM+List&Field=DocType

                Don't remember where I found the list of the others.

                Jacques.
              • pbmoita
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                  I know only one authority, the GSM Association
                  (http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml).

                  Bye,
                  Pedro Moita.

                  --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "philippe bertramo"
                  <philippe.bertramo@w...> wrote:
                  > Just by curiosity, can you name some of the authorities ?
                  > Thanks
                  > Philippe

                  Brand
                  > and Model)
                  >

                  > At 13:30 05/03/2004, luca wrote:
                  > >- is there a public list of IMEIs? I couldn't find one...
                  >
                  > If I remember correctly, the first two digits identify the
                  authority which
                  > delivers the next 4 or 6 digits. Some of those authorities publish
                  the list
                  > of their assignments, but I don't believe that is the case for all
                  (or at
                  > least I didn't find them last time I checked).
                  >
                  > Jacques.
                  >

                  > -- Interactive Media Factory SARL
                  > SMS, SMS+, IVR & WAP development and services
                  > http://www.imfeurope.com/
                  >

                  > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions:
                  http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

                  > subscription options
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                • pbmoita
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 26, 2004
                    About BABT: "...terminals where BABT has been involved in the
                    conformity assessment procedure...".

                    By authority i think on who assigns a range of TAC/FAC numbers to a
                    mobile manufacturer. I don´t think that BABT is an issuer.

                    But i can be wrong :-)

                    Bye,
                    Pedro Moita.