Re: [wmlprogramming] Motorola T720 WAP Development

  • luca passani
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      Nick, this is a browser that Motorola built by
      themselves by mimicking the openwave browser.
      I don't know much about it, apart from the things that you have also observed.
      I would like to find more as soon as I have some time.
      In fact, I think this will also have an implication on wurfl
      which may easily lead to the introduction of a motorola_generic browser
      descendent of generic.

      Can you use:

      http://demo1.viven.net/term/index.htm

      and (WAP)
      http://demo1.viven.net/term/term.asp

      to figure out some of the capabilities of the browser?

      Yarden, do you think you can assist Nick wiht that and post the result?

      It would be interesting to know about numbered menus, softkeys, mobile-originated
      prefetch, forms and so on.

      thank you

      Luca

      Nick wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > Anyone do any wap site development for this phone? It has a new
      > Motorola proprietary browser but I can't find a lick a documentation
      > on it anywhere. It's a WML1.3 browser so it does funny sutff like
      > create buttons for <do type=xxx>. And as far as I can tell there is
      > no way to access the 2nd soft key. Anybody have any info on it? Any
      > and all help will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Nick
      >
      > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions: http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

    • yarden_admon
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
        Guys,

        Some new Motorola devices have MIB browser and not OW browser. The
        soft keys behaviour on this browser is strange. But it is possible to
        use 2 soft keys. Try something like this:

        <template>
        <do type="prev" label="PRV">
        <go href="somewhere"/>
        </do>
        <do type="options" label="OPT">
        <go href="someotherplace"/>
        </do>
        <do type="accept" label="ACCT">
        <go href="yetanotherplace"/>
        </do>
        </template>

        What I have noticed is that the browser always adds a link to the
        <do> actions at the buttom of the page, but the soft-keys are also
        used (at least when there screen is filled with text, and you can not
        see the links without scrolling). As you can see, I didn't fully
        understand the functionality, but for sure 2-softkeys are possible...

        I hope this helps...

        Yarden

        --- In wmlprogramming@y..., luca passani <passani@e...> wrote:

        > Nick, this is a browser that Motorola built by
        > themselves by mimicking the openwave browser.
        > I don't know much about it, apart from the things that you have
        also observed.
        > I would like to find more as soon as I have some time.
        > In fact, I think this will also have an implication on wurfl
        > which may easily lead to the introduction of a motorola_generic
        browser
        > descendent of generic.
        >
        > Can you use:
        >
        > http://demo1.viven.net/term/index.htm
        >
        > and (WAP)
        > http://demo1.viven.net/term/term.asp
        >
        > to figure out some of the capabilities of the browser?
        >
        > Yarden, do you think you can assist Nick wiht that and post the
        result?

        > It would be interesting to know about numbered menus, softkeys,
        mobile-originated
        > prefetch, forms and so on.
        >
        > thank you
        >
        > Luca
        >

        > Nick wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Folks,
        > >
        > > Anyone do any wap site development for this phone? It has a new
        > > Motorola proprietary browser but I can't find a lick a
        documentation
        > > on it anywhere. It's a WML1.3 browser so it does funny sutff like
        > > create buttons for <do type=xxx>. And as far as I can tell there
        is
        > > no way to access the 2nd soft key. Anybody have any info on it?
        Any
        > > and all help will be greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Nick
        > >
        > > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions:
        http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

        and subscription options

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Ron Mandel
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
          To make things even slightly more confusing, Motorola ships a CDMA
          version of the T720 here in the states on the Verizon network. This
          device has the Openwave 4.1.25 browser on it along with Brew instead
          of Java... Details available in the phones reference at
          http://developer.openwave.com/resources/phones.html

          Enjoy,

          Ron
        • luca passani
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
            thank you for the analysis. Very interesting.
            To me, this sounds like Motorola has been trying to build
            a browser that works with generic and UP.Browser content...

            Can you also check what's the behavior with menus implemented
            with select options? do you get numeric keyboard accellerators?

            luca