Motorola T720 WAP Development

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
      Hi Folks,

      Anyone do any wap site development for this phone? It has a new
      Motorola proprietary browser but I can't find a lick a documentation
      on it anywhere. It's a WML1.3 browser so it does funny sutff like
      create buttons for <do type=xxx>. And as far as I can tell there is
      no way to access the 2nd soft key. Anybody have any info on it? Any
      and all help will be greatly appreciated.

      Cheers,

      Nick
    • luca passani
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        Nick, this is a browser that Motorola built by
        themselves by mimicking the openwave browser.
        I don't know much about it, apart from the things that you have also observed.
        I would like to find more as soon as I have some time.
        In fact, I think this will also have an implication on wurfl
        which may easily lead to the introduction of a motorola_generic browser
        descendent of generic.

        Can you use:

        http://demo1.viven.net/term/index.htm

        and (WAP)
        http://demo1.viven.net/term/term.asp

        to figure out some of the capabilities of the browser?

        Yarden, do you think you can assist Nick wiht that and post the result?

        It would be interesting to know about numbered menus, softkeys, mobile-originated
        prefetch, forms and so on.

        thank you

        Luca

        Nick wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > Anyone do any wap site development for this phone? It has a new
        > Motorola proprietary browser but I can't find a lick a documentation
        > on it anywhere. It's a WML1.3 browser so it does funny sutff like
        > create buttons for <do type=xxx>. And as far as I can tell there is
        > no way to access the 2nd soft key. Anybody have any info on it? Any
        > and all help will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Nick
        >
        > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions: http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

      • yarden_admon
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
          Guys,

          Some new Motorola devices have MIB browser and not OW browser. The
          soft keys behaviour on this browser is strange. But it is possible to
          use 2 soft keys. Try something like this:

          <template>
          <do type="prev" label="PRV">
          <go href="somewhere"/>
          </do>
          <do type="options" label="OPT">
          <go href="someotherplace"/>
          </do>
          <do type="accept" label="ACCT">
          <go href="yetanotherplace"/>
          </do>
          </template>

          What I have noticed is that the browser always adds a link to the
          <do> actions at the buttom of the page, but the soft-keys are also
          used (at least when there screen is filled with text, and you can not
          see the links without scrolling). As you can see, I didn't fully
          understand the functionality, but for sure 2-softkeys are possible...

          I hope this helps...

          Yarden

          --- In wmlprogramming@y..., luca passani <passani@e...> wrote:

          > Nick, this is a browser that Motorola built by
          > themselves by mimicking the openwave browser.
          > I don't know much about it, apart from the things that you have
          also observed.
          > I would like to find more as soon as I have some time.
          > In fact, I think this will also have an implication on wurfl
          > which may easily lead to the introduction of a motorola_generic
          browser
          > descendent of generic.
          >
          > Can you use:
          >
          > http://demo1.viven.net/term/index.htm
          >
          > and (WAP)
          > http://demo1.viven.net/term/term.asp
          >
          > to figure out some of the capabilities of the browser?
          >
          > Yarden, do you think you can assist Nick wiht that and post the
          result?

          > It would be interesting to know about numbered menus, softkeys,
          mobile-originated
          > prefetch, forms and so on.
          >
          > thank you
          >
          > Luca
          >

          > Nick wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Folks,
          > >
          > > Anyone do any wap site development for this phone? It has a new
          > > Motorola proprietary browser but I can't find a lick a
          documentation
          > > on it anywhere. It's a WML1.3 browser so it does funny sutff like
          > > create buttons for <do type=xxx>. And as far as I can tell there
          is
          > > no way to access the 2nd soft key. Anybody have any info on it?
          Any
          > > and all help will be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Nick
          > >
          > > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions:
          http://www.thewirelessfaq.com

          and subscription options

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Ron Mandel
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
            To make things even slightly more confusing, Motorola ships a CDMA
            version of the T720 here in the states on the Verizon network. This
            device has the Openwave 4.1.25 browser on it along with Brew instead
            of Java... Details available in the phones reference at
            http://developer.openwave.com/resources/phones.html

            Enjoy,

            Ron
          • luca passani
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
              thank you for the analysis. Very interesting.
              To me, this sounds like Motorola has been trying to build
              a browser that works with generic and UP.Browser content...

              Can you also check what's the behavior with menus implemented
              with select options? do you get numeric keyboard accellerators?

              luca