34606Fwd: WURFL Newsletter

    Dec 12, 2013

      WURFL Device Detection Newsletter 4Q 2013

      View this email in your browser
      Tweet
      Forward to Friend
      Device Detection of Smartphones Tablets

      Contents

      WURFL InSight Delivers Device Analytics to Business Group Analysts

      We recently launched WURFL InSight to meet the needs for device detection across the fast-growing field of analytics. With this data service, analysts can use WURFL tables (instead of the WURFL API) to accurately identify mobile devices visiting their web sites or services. They can then extract those devices’ properties, features, and capabilities from the weekly-updated WURFL tables and merge them with their own data marts. The WURFL InSight data service provides easy-to-install and manipulate tables that will work off-the-shelf with analytics tools, while requiring limited support from IT staff.

      WURFL InFuze Diagram
      To learn more about WURFL InSight, visit us at: http://www.scientiamobile.com/insight
      Read this Blog Post about how business analysts will benefit from WURFL InSight.
      And read this Blog Post that explains why you need a frequently-updating service like WURFL InSight to achieve accurate device detection analysis.
      WURFLv15

      WURFL API 1.5 Introduces Filtering, New Virtual Capabilities

      WURFL helps companies optimize their content and services for mobile devices, tablets, Smart TVs and other Internet-connected devices. The new API 1.5 introduces important features and enhancements, both in terms of memory footprint and added functionalities.

      WURFL API 1.5 is available as part of the WURFL OnSite product suite and it offers support for the Java, PHP and ASP.NET platforms, in addition to the popular DB API, geared at enterprises that prefer to maintain their data in an RDBMS.

      ScientiaMobile is also releasing version 1.5 of its WURFL InFuze Product Suite, which includes its C/C++ API and modules for Apache, NGINX and the Varnish Cache content proxy. This API is designed for customers who need WURFL device detection integrated at the network level or with exceptional performance requirements.

      The new API introduces two important enhancements to the WURFL framework:
      • Capability filtering enables users to select the device properties that matter to their applications through API configuration. This will yield significant savings in terms of memory footprint.
      • Virtual Capabilities are a new set of predefined functions that behave very similarly to regular capabilities, but can provide more value thanks to the analysis of other HTTP headers. Built-in virtual capabilities include: is_smartphone, is_robot, is_app and fine grained information about OS, browser and the respective versions for desktop web browsers
      Download our new WURFL API here.
      Read our press release about WURFL API 1.5 here.
      Read our WURFL API 1.5 blog post here.

      New WURFL Device Capabilities Updates

      We are constantly adding devices and capabilities to the WURFL solution.  To ensure you are receiving the best possible device detection service, please make sure your servers are configured to automatically download and update the Device Description Repository xml from your ScientiaMobile account vault on at least a weekly basis. We add over new 800 devices per year, and we want to make sure our customers are detecting them all.
      Here are a few recent additions:
      • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
      • Motorola Moto X
      • LG G Pad 8.3
      • Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 3rd Gen, HDX 8.9
      • Nokia Lumia 1520
      • Nokia Lumia 1320
      • Windows 8.1 OS for ARM devices(formerly Windows 8.1 RT)
      • Google Nexus 5
      • Motorola Moto G

      RESS Combines Responsive Web Design With WURFL's Server-Side Detection

      RESS (REsponsive web design and Server-Side components) is a strategy to have server-side device detection help in overcoming the issues above. WURFL is the ideal tool to implement RESS and solve RWD’s shortcomings, while keeping all of its benefits.

      For example, with a short bit of code, developers can identify whether a device is smartphone, tablet, feature phone, or desktop device. With that information, they can choose to serve two different versions of a complex table: a complex one with all the bells and whistles on desktop and tablets, or a more readable, simpler one on feature phones and smartphones.

      With similar techniques, developers can multi-serve images in different sizes to mobile devices. This may cut download size up to 70% overall. Thanks to WURFL, RESS power is within the grasp of web designers with only a limited amount of server-side coding.

      We call this approach RESS: Responsive Web Design and Server Side components.
      MobileTech WhateverWeb Logo

      Visit ScientiaMobile at Mobile World Congress

      ScientiamMobile is attending Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, February 24-27. Please stop by to visit, tell us about your mobile device detection needs, and learn more about the WURFL device detection products.
      You are on this list because you are a current WURFL customer. If you wish to unsubscribe at any point, press the unsubscribe link at the bottom.
      Copyright © 2013 ScientiaMobile, Inc, All rights reserved.