The Moratorium Campaign - E-Newsletter

  • jeneokeefe33 <jokeefe@moratoriumcampaign
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2003
      Sorry for the cross posts.

      The Winter / Spring 2003 Moratorium Campaign E-Newsletter is now
      available on line at the following link:

      http://www.moratoriumcampaign.org/newsletter/index.lasso

      This latest issue is overflowing with information and action tips to
      get you more involved in the death penalty moratorium movement. And
      if you haven't already, now is a good time to renew your support for
      The Moratorium Campaign with a tax-deductible contribution online!

      Here's a quick look at the topics covered in the Winter / Spring
      Newsletter:

      Illinois Governor Commutes All Death Sentences!
      Less than three days before the end of his final term, Illinois
      Governor George Ryan commuted the death sentences of all Illinois'
      167 death row inmates.

      Greetings from Sister Helen Prejean
      In 2002, the death penalty took a number of hits. I think it is
      important to start the new year off with remembering some of the
      major events.

      Maryland Governor Lifts Moratorium Despite Flaws in System While
      Illinois is stepping away from the death penalty, Maryland is rapidly
      moving in the opposite direction.

      103rd Death Row Inmate Exonerated
      After spending 16 years on death row, Rudolph Holton walked out of
      prison a free man on January 24, 2003.

      Rare Look Inside Execution Process
      An interesting new set of recordings offers a unique glimpse into the
      workings of the death penalty system.

      Juvenile Death Penalty on the Decline
      The death penalty for juvenile offenders is facing sharp criticism
      lately, both in the states and from the nation's high court.

      Election Results Indicate Much Work to be Done
      The November 2002 election produced a number of results that have
      important implications for The Moratorium Campaign.

      Dead Man Walking Opera Thrills New York and Austin
      The opera has now been performed in five U.S. cities and heads to
      Detroit, Michigan and Australia next!

      Death Row Inmates Put Focus on Compassion
      On death rows around the country, prisoners have been contributing –
      both creatively and financially – through an amazing newsletter
      called Compassion.

      Supreme Court Faces Tough Decisions on Death Penalty
      One of the most significant controls of the death penalty in the
      United States exists outside the realm of lobbying and protest.

      Gulf War Veteran Explains His Opposition to the Death Penalty "I
      oppose the death penalty on utilitarian grounds," says Erik Larson
      firmly.

      Our New Executive Board, 11 Strong and Growing
      We have added eight new board members and we want you to
      briefly `meet' the people who will be helping us advance moratorium
      public education campaigns.

      PLUS take a look at Sister Helen Prejean's updated speaking schedule,
      or check on the progress of the Moratorium Petition in your state!

      Spread the word! Pass this message along to your friends and e-mail
      networks.

      Jene' O'Keefe
      Development Director
      The Moratorium Campaign