**The beginning of the end of the web...as we "knew" it/id

  • The River Monnkey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2002
      Mr. Memphis 2004, Rick Reed's
      VeryLastBlast (we hope & pray to God..did you hear of the dyslectic who didn't beleive in doG?))

      In Twelth Grade English at Treadwell High School, Memphis, TN l969... I gave an oral book report rather than a written one for the book FARENHEIT 451.

      I wanted to make sure the kids heard about it as opposed to it being a report on paper that only the teacher would see.

      Decades later, I would get to see the author of that book receive his STAR on the Hallywood Walk of Fame in Hollywod, CA days after attending the Academy Awards.

      (I was the only one that screamed my guts out each and everytime they mentioned Charlton Heston's name. The 3rd time, he was looooking around for me...Ooooops.)

      So....the idea behind the following editorial is one I share, but I did not author this...just forwarding it on.

      I AM pretty upset by this whole internet thing, our government, the world, the universe and everything.

      I get countless hate emails daily, hardly ANYthing in support of my work which is phenominal if I say so myself.

      I average 12 hrs a day frdn my work as well as others'

      Just ready to quit again and go tour. Rick.

      FROM: Miss Universe 2004:
      I find this disturbing.. because they are now going to contol everything we learn.. they are "burning" our books.. HEIL HITLER!

      Subject: The Beginning of the End of Freedom on the Internet

      The Beginning of the End of Freedom on the Internet

      On Monday, July 1, Microsoft announced plans for a new product known as
      'Palladium' that it claims will assure 'security' and 'copyright
      protection' on the internet. Advocates for freedom of _expression and
      privacy, though, point out that the processor-based digital
      authentication system will enable Microsoft to effectively
      remote-control home PCs. If the system becomes widely adopted, people
      will be forced to buy Palladium-enabled computers.

      Palladium is only roughly outlined, but what is known indicates that it
      is almost certain to put an end to Open Source software as we know
      it�i.e., Linux. Palladium would also give Microsoft unlimited access to
      your personal internet history, email history, email encryption keys and
      even the contents of your hard drive. It would also enable
      centrally-controlled, hardware-based blocking of websites that it deems
      'insecure' and hence 'non-Palladium-approved'.

      "It's the ultimate in an Orwellian presentation of the issue," says
      Chris Hoofnagle, the legislative counsel at the Electronic Privacy
      Information Center. "You dress up an invasive tool as a helpful one."

      Once this sort of external control is enabled, it is not only Microsoft
      that would have what is, in effect, complete control of your computer.
      For example, if the government were to label an organization as
      'terrorist', a 'threat to national security', 'illegal', or 'socially
      inappropriate', that organization's website could be blocked to anyone
      with a Palladium-enabled computer. Non-Palladium-enabled computers would
      be identified as 'insecure' and have limited or no access to the

      Sites like Indymedia that feature creative and radical individual
      expressions could be marginalized and kept from public view. Likewise,
      anyone who has unauthorized music or software on their machine would not
      be able to play/use it. If the government does not like what you are
      doing on your computer, they can wipe your hard-drive and lock you out
      of it.

      The internet has become a powerful tool for individuals to communicate,
      educate themselves, organize and oppose centralized domination. This
      initiative is a primary component in seizing the internet from the
      individual and putting it under centralized control.

      Read more here....>>>http://victoria.indymedia.org/features/technology

      Another article

      Head For The Hills,
      The End Is Nigh
      By Tom White

      On December 20 (2002), the New York Times published a story with an
      exceedingly ominous headline: "Bush Administration to Propose System for
      Monitoring Internet." I can think of some reasons not to be as alarmed
      as I am at this bit of news and to greet this is just another ho-hum
      from a big journal. When you ask, Who is so na�ve as to suppose the
      administration was not monitoring already? This simply appears as
      confirmation of what is going on. Another yawn comes from realizing this
      news is actually old stuff, as noted in the article. The proposal was
      adumbrated September last in "draft form." (When the draft appeared it
      called for "industry" to do the monitoring, but now, in the current
      version, government will undertake to do it. Surprise! Surprise!) And I
      am sure you can find other notes of "business as usual" in the article.
      The dead-pan reporters, John Markoff and John Schwartz, who never come
      even close to saying the dread word censorship, run on for a couple of
      dozen short paragraphs about how the purpose of the proposal is, of
      course, the urgent search for terrorist activities and not at all about
      invading privacy, etc., etc., which is the worry of the Internet service
      providers and others they interviewed. But any lover of the Internet is
      going to get cold chills from, if nothing else, the story's lead: "The
      Bush administration is planning to propose requiring Internet service
      providers to help build a centralized system to enable broad monitoring
      of the Internet and, potentially, surveillance of its users."
      Surveillance! Ah, how deliciously World War II (movie version). Can you
      see those marvelous Nazi officers that Hollywood always had on tap,
      asking for your papers as you attempt to escape on the last train out of
      Berlin? They'll surveillance you all right, have no fear. Ach! Ceeteezen
      Weiss, strengst verboten! (I remember those words from some war movie).
      I have long felt the Bush Administration is not shaping up as the most
      glorious friend of freedom the world has ever seen. I have said before
      in this space that whenever the boilerplate rolls out from the Oval
      Office you can usually do a direct Orwellian translation: peace means
      war, security means danger, freedom means government control, etc.
      That's when they are talking platitudes or denying the obvious. But when
      they are telling you what's coming they manage to be a bit more direct:
      the title of this proposal is "The National Strategy to Secure
      Cyberspace." Also one Ms. Tiffany Olson, deputy chief of staff for the
      President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board (don't you love
      those titles?) said, according to the Times article, that the need for a
      large-scale operations center is real, because Internet service
      companies and other online companies only have a view of the part of the
      Internet that is under their control. "We don't have anybody that is
      able to look at the entire picture. When something is happening we don't
      know it's happening until it's too late." (Like 9/11 presumably?) Or
      this from an unidentified official with a "major data services company":
      "Am I analogizing this to Carnivore? Absolutely. But in fact it's 10
      times worse. Carnivore was working on much smaller feeds and could not
      scale. This is looking at the whole Internet." Gary North has made a
      virtuoso demonstration of the miracle of the Internet in offering just
      three or four links that revealed the depth and extent of the linkage of
      the CFR, the OSS and CIA, the Rockefeller interests, and the national
      government under a whole string of Presidents since FDR. Just for
      starters, FDR was a Rockefeller man through and through and his alter
      ego, Harry Hopkins, often credited with "winning the war," carried water
      for the Rockefellers all his life. The Rockefellers hired a couple of
      historians (academics are notoriously cheap) to falsify the record of
      FDR's role in the start of WW II, and that's just one thing to their
      credit. As a friend of mine said, they rigged up a long-lasting
      depressed stock market in the 30s and then "bought the country back with
      sandwiches." Missing from the panorama North opened to view was any
      comment on a particular b�te noir of mine, Beardsley Ruml, the inventor
      of the withholding tax, a Rockefeller employee and later government
      official, who is deserving of a special day on the national calendar set
      aside for the burning of his effigy in every county public square. Money
      buys loyalty big-time, but loyalty to the commonwealth? Not a bit of it.
      I hope that somebody who knows more about the possibilities in this
      area, and the technical side of whether or not it is possible for the
      Powers That Be to control the Internet as they now control the major
      media, will now come forward to reassure us that I am wrong to see this
      as a real threat to the ability to check the suppressed history of the
      age just past and to find out what is really going on today. I have
      great respect for people mastered by the desire to dominate. In the end
      they are headed for ruin, but they are the devil's own instruments while
      they are in action, and they famously don't like criticism. They are
      very thin-skinned and, like Orcs, very ugly when aroused. Tom White
      writes from Odessa, Texas. Copyright � 2002 LewRockwell.com

      Love and peace... Miss Universe

      INTOLERANCE is just ignorance to such a great measure that it only amounts to INNOCENCE. Contempt PRIOR to investigation is the HEIGHT of ignorance, and no effort AT ALL is DOOMED to failure, so let's see what we can get OUT once we get INTO it, as death would be too kind and too brief.

      What do you call Cybill SHEPHERD with a fraction of a half of a brain?
      GIFTED ! ! !

      Do you Yahoo!?