Re: [West Constables] For the files section?

  • The MOMstable
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2004
      This is a good overview Wulfstan. The only caveat I'd add is to the
      "kinder as young as 8". I'd add "with adult supervision" or "with a
      dedicated adult" or something like that. I wouldn't want a small army
      of 8 - 10 years olds swarming gate with out a parent or parent
      designate. Just my 2 shekels worth, as parent with kids that age who
      has seen how other parents have occasionally acted.

      Na'arah

      === message truncated ===

      http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
    • Dan Wagner
      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2004
        Sure. That was kinda unspoken. And every gate is different. I have no prob
        supervising a kinder or two, others don't care for it. To each his own.

        --- Dan Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > the
        > "turn in"
        > > > at night. But I'm not always there (it just seems like it<g>),
        > and
        > maybe you
        > > > should arrange one of these yourself if the turn in is hard to
        > see in
        > the
        > > > dark. Folks seem to like this small extra. No one ever
        > complains the
        > signs
        > > > are too clear & obvious <g>.
        > > >
        > > > 8. Waivers, sunshade, a table, cashbox, lights etc- these we
        > handle.
        > But if
        > > > we don't need to bring a table or something, be sure to let us
        > know. At
        > one
        > > > site there was actually a guard shack for us, with electric

        === message truncated ===

      • The MOMstable
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2004
          You and I and the rest of the members of the list may know its
          unspoken, but I'm not a saguine about said parents who may view us as
          good place to dump their youngsters (I wouldn't do that with mine, but
          not everyone is that way). And you are right, every gate - every event
          - is different. As is every child. I must say its very nice to have
          someone who doesn't have children be so willing to put up with them.
          Thank you .

          Na'arah
          who remembers the first time Wulfstan gave her eldest a piece of candy
          and a compliment, Lo these many years ago.

          === message truncated ===

          http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
        • Dan Wagner
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2004
            You have good children. Not suprising given their genes & upbringing<g>.

            Yes, I am pretty good with school aged kinder- after all my Scouting
            exp.,etc. But hand me a baby and watch me freeze up!

            But yes, I wouldn't expect every "gate captain" to have the same luck with
            kinder as me- or even want to try! Everyone has different skills &
            expereince they bring....

            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2004
              On the "opposite page"...
              Wulfy has told me a few times that my boys are rather helpful (for a bit) at
              gate.
              It's very gratifying when I hear good things about my boys. Makes me feel
              like at least some part of my life as a parent has been helpful :):)

              But I totally understand that others may not have the same feeling of
              children 'working gate' or doing other constablulary activities. It does
              depend on the child, the parent and the constable in charge of the activity.

              We should remember however that these kids are the ones who will be our
              future in the SCA. We should encourage them to take part in things, to
              volunteer, and enjoy the activities as they are made available.

              --Eirik

              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2004
                Yes, they are. True, Stephen does suffer a bit from "short attention
                span"<g> when it gets slow at Gate- but he really wants to help, and is
                eager.

                Erik has really been a big help at times. I have found out that usually I
                can't have him and Kyle both there at the same time, as then they start
                playing.

                What I love is the eagerness to help with both, and how excited they get
                when they see that have "more cars!!".

                Message 7 of 9 , May 17, 2004
                  I know Erik (Ian) really does enjoy working gate. Last year at Purgatorio he
                  went down to gate to help. People running gate told him he needed to get his
                  parent's permission, so he walked back to camp, got big Eirik's permission,
                  and then walked all the way back down to gate. There was a considerable
                  difference between camp and gate at Purgatorio at that event, and I was very
                  proud of him for taking the effort and initiative to do it all on his own.

                  Euriol

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 22, 2004
                    Right. I spoke too soon. I said I'd be there to CinC the Mists Collegium
                    in Concord on June 26th, then I got this new apartment. I take possession
                    of it on June 24th and have to be out of my current apartment by the end
                    of June. Which means, of course, that I have the weekend which includes
                    Collegium to move.

                    "So," some of you are asking, "what is your point, Christophe?" Others are
                    reading ahead and already know that the butler did it...

                    Who's free to be in Concord early in the morning on Saturday, June 26th?
                    I'll be eternally grateful to whoever can do this for me. :-) This is a
                    day event which means all there is to it is gate duty.

                    Thanks,