For the files section?

  • Dan Wagner
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2004
      I don't know if you know this, but now if you go to the WK site, and then
      click on the Mace, you come here. In that spirit, I suggest this to be
      added/ Several Autocrats have asked for it in th epast.
      Wulfy

      > > I know that an Autocrat has many sources to turn to for help in
      organizing
      > > an event. But not everyone knows everything- or if in the case of our
      > > Consulting Tourneymaster- indeed he may KNOW everything without
      remembering
      > > it all. <g> (And you Autocrats do know to consult with that very
      valuable
      > > resource, yes?). But still, the Constabulary/Autocrat partnership has
      > > several aspects that are best explained by a Constable. Some of this
      only
      > > applies to- and is aimed at- the Autocrats of Kingdom & Principality
      level
      > > events.
      > >
      > > 1. Who is your Constable-in-Charge? Important to know. He will act as
      your
      > > Deputy if needs be, especially if you don't have a large staff and need
      > > leave the site on Friday. The Kingdom/Principality Constable will
      either be
      > > the CinC, or appoint a delegate to handle this. You need to be able to
      get
      > > along with him. Sometimes we put a trainee in this job, in which case
      there
      > > will be a Mentor for him. (Note I use the masculine pronoun to include
      both
      > > sexes here, there are many female Constables). Even if the Kingdom
      Constable
      > > is at a site, if he has appointed a CinC, try to work with the CinC
      first.
      > > The position of the "higher" Constable at a site where they have
      appointed a
      > > CinC is analogous to a Admiral visiting the bridge of a Captain's ship.
      > > At Large events, there is often also a "Gate Captain" Constable who
      handles
      > > the Gate on one or more days. You can go directly to them on gate
      matters.

      > > 2. Seed money for the gate fees. You arrange this with the Exchequer.
      > > Consulting with the CinC as to amounts & types of bill is a good idea,
      tho.
      > > In general, rarely will you need less than $150 for seed money = $100 in
      1's,
      > > $50 in 5's.
      > > On the matter of Site fees, remember to try not to set a site fee with
      weird
      > > amounts of small bills required to make change of a twenty. If you're
      > > looking at a $9 site fee, maybe it is better to go to an even $10. If
      your
      > > site fee is $8, remember the NMS will make that $11. And, when you set
      the
      > > fee for minors, take this into consideration- for example,if the Site
      fee for
      > > adults is $8, don't set the site fee for minors @ $4- make it $5 or 0.
      On
      > > that- if the site fee is high enough, seriously consider a "3 tiered"
      site
      > > fee. So if the site fee is going to be $10, try for a "10/5/0" spread,
      with
      > > 0 for minors 5 and under, and $5 for minors 6 to 14. Or something. Of
      > > course, you're going to set the site fee to make sure you cover your
      expenses
      > > and a bit more, but there is usually "fudge' room on the minor fees, if
      > > nowhere else.
      > > Add'l note- do any get in free? If so, let the CinC or Gate Captain
      know. In
      > > the West, it is Custom for the Royals to pay at camping events- however,
      they
      > > may decide not to pay at any one event, per Their Whim. But you can also
      let
      > > a few Staff in free. In the Mists, those who bring horses to share get
      in
      > > free, too.
      > >
      > > 3. Parking. Setting up the parking falls on the Autocrat. Enforcing
      > > general good parking manners is something both do. So, you will need a
      > > dedicated spot for Royals & "Handicapped'- and maybe Officers, too.
      Make
      > > sure there is plenty of spaces for Handicapped parking! And, if/when
      those
      > > fill up, have a back up plan. If necessary, I'll park Handicapped in
      the
      > > Royal area, but.... Then we have RV's. Some go to an event, but sleep
      in
      > > their RV. You should plan for this, and tell the CinC or Gate Captain
      what
      > > you decided- and that goes for all parking. Equestrians should have a
      > > special parking area, with plenty of room for those trailers & access
      being
      > > more important than "close". At some events, where parking is short,
      and the
      > > lot is not marked, you may want a "Parking Czar" to run the parking.
      > >
      > > 4. Site handouts & tokens- obvious. But try not to have many things for
      the
      > > Gate to remember to tell folks or to hand out. If you know the area
      well,
      > > have a map for the gate crew with hospitals & stores on it. Remember
      the
      > > Gate- send them volunteers! This is critical if the Gate is more than a
      > > casual walk away from Camp. Make sure the Herald mentions this during
      his
      > > Shout. Note that kinder as young as 8 can be a great help at gate.
      > >
      > > 5. Radios- at large spread out events, you'll need these. One for the
      Gate,
      > > maybe one for the Merchants Liaison, the CinC, your Deputy, the
      Chirugeon?

      > > 6. Access roads & paths thru camp, and into the Eric. Need to be able
      > > bring an ambulance all the way thru. "Stakes & flagging" is your friend
      > > here. If someone sets up blocking this road, don't be afraid to tell
      them to
      > > move.
      > >
      > > 7. Plenty of signage so that folks find the event. You think you have
      > > enough? Do more. Myself, I put out a "flashy-thingee" to mark the
      "turn in"
      > > at night. But I'm not always there (it just seems like it<g>), and
      maybe you
      > > should arrange one of these yourself if the turn in is hard to see in
      the
      > > dark. Folks seem to like this small extra. No one ever complains the
      signs
      > > are too clear & obvious <g>.
      > >
      > > 8. Waivers, sunshade, a table, cashbox, lights etc- these we handle.
      But if
      > > we don't need to bring a table or something, be sure to let us know. At
      one
      > > site there was actually a guard shack for us, with electric lights &
      > > everything. This was wonderful, but then I had schlepped a bunch of
      stuff I
      > > didn't need.
      > >
      > > 9. Noise Curfew. If there is no mundane considerations, consult with
      the
      > > Royals and the CinC. Be sure to let folks know if the site owner has a
      firm
      > > rule.
      >
      > 10 Master map- having a master map at gate with privies, wter & trash
      marked in-
      > an later Offciers & larger groups- can be very useful, esp at large camps
      >

      > > Now, this is a list of 10 things just for the Constable/Autocrat
      interaction.
      > > Maybe the Lists, Marshals, Chirurgeon, etc have similar lists?
      > >
      > > Finally, if some find this useful, you may print it as you wish- just
      spell
      > > my name right <g>.
      > >
      > > Baron Wulfstan Darroldson,

    • The MOMstable
      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2004
        This is a good overview Wulfstan. The only caveat I'd add is to the
        "kinder as young as 8". I'd add "with adult supervision" or "with a
        dedicated adult" or something like that. I wouldn't want a small army
        of 8 - 10 years olds swarming gate with out a parent or parent
        designate. Just my 2 shekels worth, as parent with kids that age who
        has seen how other parents have occasionally acted.

        Na'arah

        === message truncated ===

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
      • Dan Wagner
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2004
          Sure. That was kinda unspoken. And every gate is different. I have no prob
          supervising a kinder or two, others don't care for it. To each his own.

          --- Dan Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:
> [...]
          > the
          > "turn in"
          > > > at night. But I'm not always there (it just seems like it<g>),
          > and
          > maybe you
          > > > should arrange one of these yourself if the turn in is hard to
          > see in
          > the
          > > > dark. Folks seem to like this small extra. No one ever
          > complains the
          > signs
          > > > are too clear & obvious <g>.
          > > >
          > > > 8. Waivers, sunshade, a table, cashbox, lights etc- these we
          > handle.
          > But if
          > > > we don't need to bring a table or something, be sure to let us
          > know. At
          > one
          > > > site there was actually a guard shack for us, with electric

          === message truncated ===

        • The MOMstable
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2004
            You and I and the rest of the members of the list may know its
            unspoken, but I'm not a saguine about said parents who may view us as
            good place to dump their youngsters (I wouldn't do that with mine, but
            not everyone is that way). And you are right, every gate - every event
            - is different. As is every child. I must say its very nice to have
            someone who doesn't have children be so willing to put up with them.
            Thank you .

            Na'arah
            who remembers the first time Wulfstan gave her eldest a piece of candy
            and a compliment, Lo these many years ago.

            === message truncated ===

            http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
          • Dan Wagner
            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2004
              You have good children. Not suprising given their genes & upbringing<g>.

              Yes, I am pretty good with school aged kinder- after all my Scouting
              exp.,etc. But hand me a baby and watch me freeze up!

              But yes, I wouldn't expect every "gate captain" to have the same luck with
              kinder as me- or even want to try! Everyone has different skills &
              expereince they bring....

              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2004
                On the "opposite page"...
                Wulfy has told me a few times that my boys are rather helpful (for a bit) at
                gate.
                It's very gratifying when I hear good things about my boys. Makes me feel
                like at least some part of my life as a parent has been helpful :):)

                But I totally understand that others may not have the same feeling of
                children 'working gate' or doing other constablulary activities. It does
                depend on the child, the parent and the constable in charge of the activity.

                We should remember however that these kids are the ones who will be our
                future in the SCA. We should encourage them to take part in things, to
                volunteer, and enjoy the activities as they are made available.

                --Eirik

                Message 7 of 9 , May 17, 2004
                  Yes, they are. True, Stephen does suffer a bit from "short attention
                  span"<g> when it gets slow at Gate- but he really wants to help, and is
                  eager.

                  Erik has really been a big help at times. I have found out that usually I
                  can't have him and Kyle both there at the same time, as then they start
                  playing.

                  What I love is the eagerness to help with both, and how excited they get
                  when they see that have "more cars!!".

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 17, 2004
                    I know Erik (Ian) really does enjoy working gate. Last year at Purgatorio he
                    went down to gate to help. People running gate told him he needed to get his
                    parent's permission, so he walked back to camp, got big Eirik's permission,
                    and then walked all the way back down to gate. There was a considerable
                    difference between camp and gate at Purgatorio at that event, and I was very
                    proud of him for taking the effort and initiative to do it all on his own.

                    Euriol

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 22, 2004
                      Right. I spoke too soon. I said I'd be there to CinC the Mists Collegium
                      in Concord on June 26th, then I got this new apartment. I take possession
                      of it on June 24th and have to be out of my current apartment by the end
                      of June. Which means, of course, that I have the weekend which includes
                      Collegium to move.

                      "So," some of you are asking, "what is your point, Christophe?" Others are
                      reading ahead and already know that the butler did it...

                      Who's free to be in Concord early in the morning on Saturday, June 26th?
                      I'll be eternally grateful to whoever can do this for me. :-) This is a
                      day event which means all there is to it is gate duty.

                      Thanks,