RE: [West Constables] Proper parking procedures

    Message 1 of 18 , May 12, 2004
      Ok. Several who've let me know they'll be at Crown and will/will not be
      able to help. THANK YOU! To all of you...

      Now, back to the meat of the question. What do people think of the
      dashboard parking passes? Lets us know who's car it is, gives us some kind
      of standard when we need parking passes, as we do for medium sized events
      at Coyote Lake (small events, we don't use the overflow parking, large
      events won't fit anymore). Gives us a starting point when we need to tell
      someone to move their car, or if an alarm is going off, or other types of
      "something's wrong" and we need to find the car owners.

      Having *them* fill them out, at their earliest convenience (remember that
      phrase, it's useful, especially for things like this), means minimal extra
      work for those of us sitting at gate.

      Basically, I'm seeing lots of upside and no real downside. Feel free to
      burst my bubble!

      Christophe
    • Dan Wagner
      Message 2 of 18 , May 12, 2004
        Well, the question is- do we have a parking "problem" at that site? Will the
        'site owner" get on our case for improperly parked cars? From that last
        time we were there, it did seem like folks would park where WE didn't
        nessesarily want them to, but there wasn't a lot of parking where the County
        Fairgrounds would get on our case- if you see the difference. I feel we
        should only get strict with parking when the site owner wants us to.

        If the site owner isn't going to get his nose bent out of shape, I'd suggest
        the "parking tickets" instead. And as suggested- make them very brightly
        coloured. These have the huge advantage as they only "cost us trees" for
        BAD parking, and they can be issued when there is excess staff.

        Now, back to the meat of the question. What do people think of the
        dashboard parking passes? Lets us know who's car it is, gives us some kind
        of standard when we need parking passes, as we do for medium sized events
        at Coyote Lake . Gives us a starting point when we need to tell
        someone to move their car, or if an alarm is going off, or other types of
        "something's wrong" and we need to find the car owners.

        Having *them* fill them out, at their earliest convenience (remember that
        phrase, it's useful, especially for things like this), means minimal extra
        work for those of us sitting at gate.

        Basically, I'm seeing lots of upside and no real downside. Feel free to
        burst my bubble!

        Christophe
      • euriol
        Message 3 of 18 , May 12, 2004
          I understand about not wanting to hold things up at gate, but how much extra
          time would it take for these to be filled out then and there? Would less
          than a minute be that much of a deal?

          Euriol

          Message 4 of 18 , May 12, 2004
            Well, it depends. It SHOULD take only a minute. But there's the arguement
            in the vehicle over WHO they are camping with, etc. In reality, it slows
            down the process by about half again. That is quite a bit during the "dinner
            rush". How long should it take someone to sign in their name on a waiver?
            And we know sometimes that process can be much longer than it should be.
            Oddly, about half the vehicles won't know their vehicle lic #, and then we
            have to go to the back of the vehicle and read it off to them. Then again,
            that info may not be nessesary, I just know we always had a blank for it.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 12, 2004
              How about at least having them fill out their SCA Name on the slip at gate?

              Euriol

              Having *them* fill them out, at their earliest convenience (remember that
              phrase, it's useful, especially for things like this), means minimal extra
              work for those of us sitting at gate.

            • Francisco Acero
              Message 6 of 18 , May 12, 2004
                Idea... Maybe something that they could download and
                just keep with them in their vehicles, or if you want
                it to be a different one per event, they could still
                just print it out for themselves (along with the
                directions to the site occasionally) and the
                constables on gate could also have copies of it for
                people who forget.

                This could also help out at the Coyote Lake site where
                the ranger wants something saying your with the SCA in
                the front window or else they may ticket your car.

                Just stirring the pot.

                Francisco Acero
                --- Dan Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                Terms of Service.
                Message 7 of 18 , May 12, 2004
                  You know, thinking about it, I'm thinking all that would really need to be
                  on the tag would be the person's SCA name. No need to put the license
                  number on it, that's on the car the tag should be inside of anyway. As for
                  who they're camped with... I was thinking more along the lines of having
                  one generic tag that could theoretically be used repeatedly. For that,
                  well, people camp with different groups at different times. And, just
                  speaking for me, half the time, I camp with my friends. No group to name.

                  So if we just had a name line, then the holdup at gate would be minimal
                  and they could do it in marker.

                  Christophe

                  euriol said:
                  > I understand about not wanting to hold things up at gate, but how much
                  > extra time would it take for these to be filled out then and there?
                  > Would less than a minute be that much of a deal?
                  >
                  > Euriol

                • Willeam (Aros) of Green Pants
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 13, 2004
                    I don't think we need a different sign for each event,
                    one should suffice. I don't know off hand which sites
                    require dashboard signs, or what information they
                    require on them, but this one should incorporate it
                    all on one universal sign. I don't think it would be
                    too much to ask to "write your SCA name while signing
                    in at gate, and fill in the rest at your earliest
                    convenience." Then, we know we at least have a name
                    to go off of later.

                    So what exactly do sites require on their parking
                    pass? What else should we include? I think a
                    household / local group name would be helpful when
                    hunting people down (and if we can't find the person,
                    we might find their household on our handy little
                    white board). Perhaps also a check box for handicap /
                    royal parking? How about a line at the bottom for
                    "official use" (i.e. Autocrat, Chiurgeon, CIC...)? Or
                    a separate sign for Autocrat, Chiurgeon, CIC...? If
                    we're going to try this at June Crown, we only have a
                    month to figure this all out and get them printed.
                    Suggestions?

                    Willeam of green pants
                    Cassandra Raven

                    --- Francisco Acero <francisco_acero@...>
                    wrote:
                    > Idea... Maybe something that they could download and
                    > just keep with them in their vehicles, or if you
                    > want
                    > it to be a different one per event, they could still
                    > just print it out for themselves (along with the
                    > directions to the site occasionally) and the
                    > constables on gate could also have copies of it for
                    > people who forget.
                    >
                    > This could also help out at the Coyote Lake site
                    > where
                    > the ranger wants something saying your with the SCA
                    > in
                    > the front window or else they may ticket your car.
                    >
                    > Just stirring the pot.
                    >
                    > Francisco Acero

                  • Dan Wagner
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 13, 2004
                      Different colours for functions? handicapped= blue, regular=yellow, and
                      Special= Green? The blue would have the word handicapped, and we would
                      write in "royals" "constable" etc on the green. "West kingdom" on them all?

                      Very few sites *require* the info- and they all want different stuff, and by
                      the time folks will need them again for THAT reason, everyone mostly will
                      have lost theirs and we'll need more anyway. So, no use trying to predict
                      what THEY will want, lets just put on what WE want. SCA name, Group camped
                      with, I think is all we need.

                      wrote:
                      > Idea... Maybe something that they could download and
                      > just keep with them in their vehicles, or if you
                      > want
                      > it to be a different one per event, they could still
                      > just print it out for themselves (along with the
                      > directions to the site occasionally) and the
                      > constables on gate could also have copies of it for
                      > people who forget.
                      >
                      > This could also help out at the Coyote Lake site
                      > where
                      > the ranger wants something saying your with the SCA
                      > in
                      > the front window or else they may ticket your car.
                      >
                      > Just stirring the pot.
                      >
                      > Francisco Acero

                    • wulfy95113
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 13, 2004
                        Christophe, why not go back over to SCA West and issue another invite
                        for folks to join us here? It's been quite some time.

                        Wulfy
                      • The MOMstable
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 13, 2004
                          Wulfstan,

                          Stop reading my mind. I'd already had some of these colors in mind
                          when I was talking to the Baroness last night. I'm going to try this
                          out as a pilot program at the War of Southern Agression in a couple of
                          weeks. Then we can refine it from there. I will be doing the
                          screaming bright form of these colors. Much easier to see on a
                          dashboard, much harder to claim that it went missing among other
                          papers.

                          Na'arah
                          The MOMstable