Re: [West Constables] West Kingdom Constable's Report

  • Liane Kennedy
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2003
      Note that I also want to say that I completely understand Alberic's problem with this Lady, and his
      desire to talk to her about it. I also agree- based upon the limited info provided here. BUT , we all
      have to make sure we know what Hat we are wearing when we do things like this. I myself, here on this
      board- wore the wrong hat once when I disagree with Alberic- it's easy to do. In my "mundane" life, I
      wear 3 hats- a private taxpaying registered voter, a San Jose City Commisioner, and a US Treasury
      Officer. An opinion or dictate expressed while I was wearing the wrong hat could get me fired- or
      worse. For example, let us say I don't like a new Tax Law. I can write a letter to my Congresswoman
      as 1 or 3, and that would be OK. But if I wrote a "Letter to the Editor" on that subject and signed it
      as a US Treasury Officer, I'd get in serious trouble- and would deserve it.

      When you speak as a Constable- especially the Kingdom Constable- you wear a different "hat" than as a
      private citizen or as a member of the Populace. You represent the SCA Inc, not just the Constables or
      not even just the West Kingdom.

      Do what you think is best, but consider carefuly WHO you are when you do it.

      Wulfstan- not an Officer.
    • Lady Kateryn de Ver
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2003
        > I hope I have made myself clear. A Constable- acting as an Officer
        of the SCA Inc- is different
        > than a taxpayer- acting as a Private Citizen. If you as Albert
        Estacio- another private Citizen-
        > wanted to chide her about wasting your tax dollars- then, yes,
        that's fine & good. But not as
        > Alberic Wolf, a Safety Officer of the SCA inc. Unless of course,
        you get clearance from the
        > Executive VP for Legal Affairs or the Society Seneschal, etc
        >
        > As said Officer you can & should request that she *also* inform the
        Constabulary when she calls the
        > Police- so that we can assist the Police.
        >
        > Wulfstan- not an officer.

        Ok, big suprise here, I disagree......<grin> As a private
        citizen "chiding" her about the use of her own personal phone to call
        a police department and wasting tax payer dollars - would be stupid.
        And, basically it would be none of your business, she could tell you
        to take a flying leap and be totally correct to do so!

        However, as the person responsible for safety and security at a large
        event, who is by extension also concerned for the welfare of the
        other 800 people or so on site, and who is concerned that the SCA
        reputation be preserved as much as possible - who has concerns within
        his office that the SCA be viewed by the police as a "good"
        organization instead of one that has to be "watched" all the time -
        you would be totally correct to discuss with this person that minor
        difficulties can be handled within the framework of the constabulary,
        and letting her know that if she has concerns in the future, you and
        the constables would be willing to help her in any way so that her
        event is as enjoyable and safe for her as possible! That in my
        opinion, is the measure of a good officer.

        But as usual, Wulfstan and I do not agree - anyone who is suprised by
        that is probably a newcomer! <chuckle>

        Kate
        Who is also a Sr. Constable
        *and before you assume, my opinion is my own!
      • Liane Kennedy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2003
          I do agree with the second part- "letting her know that if...." And that can be worked in with "You
          know if you call the Police in, you are doing eveyone a great service-including yourself and the
          Police- by also letting us know. That way we can have the Constable at the gate know what's going
          on, and someone to guide them in, and maybe clear a path". The problem here is that by calling the
          Police this Good gentle has also changed hats- and is no longer "Lady Thus&such" but is now
          "Ms.Taxpayer", and when you're wearing the Constable Hat, you should not be telling "Ms Taxpayer"
          what to do. Hats, roles- very important to keep them separate, and remember which one you're
          wearing- and so easy to forget.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2003
            Hats, roles- very important to keep them separate, and remember
            which one you're
            > wearing- and so easy to forget.

            It is just as easy to forget the hat that you are NOT wearing.

            Kate
          • paul morris
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2003
              Its DEAD Ladies and Gentles let it be. Al was letting us read a report out of courtesy, not out of need, and I wish to say that it is always best to talk to people individually BEFORE the time bomb explodes.... :)
              Rowan

              Hats, roles- very important to keep them separate, and remember
              which one you're
              > wearing- and so easy to forget.

              It is just as easy to forget the hat that you are NOT wearing.

              Kate

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

              Search Smarter - get the new eXact Search Bar for free!
              http://www.exactsearchbar.com/