Bounced Checks

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2011
      Good afternoon all,

      I wanted to let everyone here know of an issue which is becoming more
      common that the exchequers are dealing with. Bounced Checks. I
      personally know of an incident that occurred at Mists Investiture where
      a couple paid for six individuals (both their site fee and their feast
      fee) with two checks. Both of those checks (from two separate accounts)
      bounced. This is costing the West a significant chunk of change in fees
      (bounced check fees could end up being more than the actual check with
      the fee being between 10 and 35 dollars depending on the bank).

      What this potentially means is that the Kingdom may be instituting a No
      Check policy from certain individuals. Repeat offenders, or offenders
      which have cost the kingdom over a certain amount. The details are
      being discussed including the length of time an individual will be on
      this list.

      I am not one who enjoys being the badguy, but in this case I can see
      where we will need to step up and take action. I know many of us feel
      that we are an honorable society and should take people on their word
      that their check is good, that of course is what a check is; a guarantee
      for payment that the person is offering in lieu of actual cash. But
      some have, for one reason or another, not been good on that word. This
      in turn means that we are not only not getting their site fee, but we
      are accruing penalties as well. I would rather have a person show up
      and say "I don't have the cash" than pass off a bad check at gate. It's
      better for us, and for them.

      I will have more details on this as it pans out. Most likely I will
      keep a document on the yahoogroup page for constables to download with
      the names of people not allowed to write checks for SCA events and for
      how long. It sucks that it is coming down to this, it really does.
      Hopefully it won't be an issue for too much longer.

      I hope everyone is having a good holiday and I'll see you at 12th Night.
      Stop by gate and sit a few.

      Francisco

      Kingdom Constable

    • Joshua H
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2011
        If we go to a cash only system how long will we have to let the populace know? Will we have a name list of those people who have bounced checks, and at which event it happened at?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2011
          You would only be going to Cash Only for those that have routinely
          bounced checks in this Kingdom. And these individuals will have been
          spoken to already by at least one Seneschal and Exchequer. You will, if
          I get my way, have a document that I will update as necessary in the
          files section of the yahoogroup or it will be a google document where I
          will post the link for it here as well. This whole process is still
          being worked out, I'm just letting you guys know what is going on.

          If we go to a cash only system how long will we have to let the populace
          know? Will we have a name list of those people who have bounced checks,
          and at which event it happened at?

          --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:wkconstabulary%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kenneth Flores"