Lost Child procedures

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
      My brother and sister constables,

      In the past 2 Kingdom Level events, we have had 4 lost children. All
      of which were found more or less well. But if this continues, we are
      going to have a stressful time on our hands. On one hand, I am quite
      pleased that we are getting a huge influx of kids, pre-teens, and
      teenagers right now. I had over 50 minors on site at Crown which is a
      good sign for the future of our society.

      But our lost child policy needs some work. With a large quantity of
      kids, a few are bound to wander off. Unless we leash them to their
      parents or put some sort of West Kingdom GPS chip into their brains, we
      are going to continue to organize search parties for these kids.

      I'd like to start a discussion here to make a policy that all of us are
      comfortable with and to establish a procedure when dealing with a lost
      child which can be added to the Handbook.

      Let the brainstorming begin.

      -Francisco

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
        Whistles. I hand out whistles to the kids when I do my page school gate class.

        Next, when I cinc I try and get a couple of the older kids to help out. They often know where the kids are congregating, and also they have the energy to round them up. Trust me, having a couple 15 to 17 yo being on call and helping work gate is very useful.

        We should also ask the Queen or Princess if we can borrow their Guard. That is a large number of eager and fit volunteers. Also, having the heralds call for the Queens guard does not alarm the populace.

        Wulfy

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
          I actually feel that this conversation should be taken to a more public list. Yes I agree, we do need to establish a good set of protocols. With that said. The parents are forgetting their kids and what they are doing whilst doing their own things. Sites with water and woods are always attractive to kids and the parents are the ones that are the most responsible. Taking this conversation to a more public list would raise awareness that this is becoming a problem again. Let the populace remind the parents that letting your kids run wild is unacceptable. We are not baby sitters (including Gregor and his lady) and we should not have to spend our SCA event time looking for their child. With a little more parental supervision the problem would solve it's self. Thoughts?

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
            Sven, I totally agree that this should be taken to a more public list.
            But I wanted to get the constables thinking about it for a day or two
            before I dropped it onto SCA west and had the conversation flooded with

            -Francisco

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
              Who me? I rarely need a babysitter cause ima big Viking! ;-)

              Ok, so much for fun. Sven's right, we can try to set up some sort of canned response to missing children but it really needs to be placed back with the parents. They are the primary controls and are the ones who need to be aware of where their kids are. The best we can do is to have a plan for how to conduct a search in place and hope we don't have to use it.

              Gregor

              On Oct 3, 2011, at 4:49 PM, sven gotfriedson <sven_gotfriedson@...> wrote:

              > I actually feel that this conversation should be taken to a more public list. Yes I agree, we do need to establish a good set of protocols. With that said. The parents are forgetting their kids and what they are doing whilst doing their own things. Sites with water and woods are always attractive to kids and the parents are the ones that are the most responsible. Taking this conversation to a more public list would raise awareness that this is becoming a problem again. Let the populace remind the parents that letting your kids run wild is unacceptable. We are not baby sitters (including Gregor and his lady) and we should not have to spend our SCA event time looking for their child. With a little more parental supervision the problem would solve it's self. Thoughts?
              > Sven

            • Glenn Gorsuch
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
                I'd like to recommend a first step, but I'm not sure how we'll implement
                it.

                We need to remind the populace to come see *us* about lost children. Time
                was (gosh, does EVERYTHING have to remind me how old I am?), people would
                hunt up a Constable, and we'd have an organized hunt (with radios, a central
                point to report back to, etc). People are out of that habit, now, and us
                deciding how we're going to handle it isn't going to get people to come to
                us to use our vast organizational skills.

                And yes, I fully understand that a panicked parent is going to, quite
                literally, want to run in circles, yell, etc, especially with water
                harzards, wilderness, or adult predatory types out there. And I certainly
                don't blame them for that. But this may mean we once again need to mark our
                tents with banners, wear (at least on the belt) our baldrics, and be a
                presence again, rather than those nice people at the Gate who also ghost
                through site at night spotting the rare unattended fire

                And this isn't just a matter of hunting up children who've mislaid
                themselves. How many of us have been in an emergency-vehicle point-chain?
                Or been support staff for the Chiurgeonate? Might be time to bring back
                some old habits...

                Gwyn

                PS: And no, of course we're not babysitters, but we HAVE been tasked with
                responsibility for the safety and well-being of those on site, at least
                where hazards are concerned. And the whole point of an Office is a large
                mess of people who've been trained to do something in the same way (the
                "right" way), where just a couple won't do.

                On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Daniel Wagner <wulfstand@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Whistles. I hand out whistles to the kids when I do my page school gate
                > class.
                >
                > Next, when I cinc I try and get a couple of the older kids to help out.
                > They often know where the kids are congregating, and also they have the
                > energy to round them up. Trust me, having a couple 15 to 17 yo being on call
                > and helping work gate is very useful.
                >
                > We should also ask the Queen or Princess if we can borrow their Guard. That
                > is a large number of eager and fit volunteers. Also, having the heralds call
                > for the Queens guard does not alarm the populace.
                >
                > Wulfy
                >
                > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              • Stephen Tripp
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
                  Both Sven and Francisco raise good points.

                  The Constables (probably) need a focused idea/policy on how to go
                  about organizing a search for misplaced young ones, maybe stratified
                  based on the age of the missing.

                  We probably need to make a concerted effort (at least once a year,
                  maybe around Beltane, when most folks start to camp again) to remind
                  parents/guardians of their positions of primary responsibility in
                  making sure their minors are where they should be, when they should
                  be there, especially at camping events. Mind you, we don't need to
                  do this in an authoritative style, but more along the lines of: "By
                  the way, if you have minors, please keep track of them an try to
                  locate them before hitting the panic button."

                  I'm sure any reminders can be worded a lot more friendly than when
                  I'm trying to just toss out ideas off the top of my head.

                  Edric

                  On Oct 3, 2011, at 4:49 PM, sven gotfriedson wrote:

                  > I actually feel that this conversation should be taken to a more
                  > public list. Yes I agree, we do need to establish a good set of
                  > protocols. With that said. The parents are forgetting their kids
                  > and what they are doing whilst doing their own things. Sites with
                  > water and woods are always attractive to kids and the parents are
                  > the ones that are the most responsible. Taking this conversation to
                  > a more public list would raise awareness that this is becoming a
                  > problem again. Let the populace remind the parents that letting
                  > your kids run wild is unacceptable. We are not baby sitters
                  > (including Gregor and his lady) and we should not have to spend our
                  > SCA event time looking for their child. With a little more parental
                  > supervision the problem would solve it's self. Thoughts?
                  > Sven

                • christinialynne bonilla
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
                    I agree. As a new step mother, and a constable, I feel its the parents that need to be more aware. That should go without saying. But there will still be those that will put their wants before their duties. Im not saying that this will wholly be the case, but usually it is. I like the idea about the whistles but then we have the problem of not hearing them, or, like in my case, the child will just play with it constantly and then we have people reactting to that. (My little one has auditory processing disorder, so getting her to understand what "dont go over there" means is a challenge as it is.) For an older child, whistler would be a no problem, esspecialy at night. I get lost everyonce and a while sober. But something else for smaller and/ special needs kids would be good i think. IYS Capt. Amabel Star of Amaranth (the ship that was once the pink fuzzy whip)

                  • secretlynx333@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2011
                      When a child is lost. You put in effect a code Adam and have a herald announce. That way everyone stops where they are the gates get closed and then proceed to do a search.

                      Ravn
                      Bestwode shire constable

                      From: christinialynne bonilla <christiniahunter@...>
                      Sender: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:28:14
                      To: <wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com>

                      I agree. As a new step mother, and a constable, I feel its the parents that need to be more aware. That should go without saying. But there will still be those that will put their wants before their duties. Im not saying that this will wholly be the case, but usually it is. I like the idea about the whistles but then we have the problem of not hearing them, or, like in my case, the child will just play with it constantly and then we have people reactting to that. (My little one has auditory processing disorder, so getting her to understand what "dont go over there" means is a challenge as it is.) For an older child, whistler would be a no problem, esspecialy at night. I get lost everyonce and a while sober. But something else for smaller and/ special needs kids would be good i think. IYS Capt. Amabel Star of Amaranth (the ship that was once the pink fuzzy whip)

                      On Mon Oct 3rd, 2011 4:49 PM PDT sven gotfriedson wrote:

                      >I actually feel that this conversation should be taken to a more public list. Yes I agree, we do need to establish a good set of protocols. With that said. The parents are forgetting their kids and what they are doing whilst doing their own things. Sites with water and woods�are always�attractive to kids and the parents are the ones that are the most responsible. Taking this conversation to a more public list would raise awareness that this is becoming a problem again. Let the populace remind the parents that letting your kids run wild is unacceptable. We are not baby sitters (including Gregor and his lady) and we should not have to spend our SCA event time looking for�their child. With a little more parental supervision the problem would solve it's self. Thoughts?
                      >Sven

                    • Joshua Hitchcock
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                        At what time should we contact the police or emergency services?

                        Joshua J. Hitchcock

                        -I am a master magician. I take something alive...& with a wave of my axe. *Poof*! It goes dead

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                          That's a good question. My opinion on this matter is that you should
                          use your judgment on this one. A typical search of even a Kingdom level
                          site shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes at the most. This is from
                          the point which a search party is organized and sent out, not from when
                          the child went missing. After everyone that has confirmed that the
                          child is not found after that time I would then call the authorities to
                          begin a search of the surrounding areas.

                          There are a few things that come to my mind that may make it so I call
                          them sooner than that. For example, if it is known that there is a
                          situation where a parent isn't supposed to be at an event (i.e.
                          restraining order of some sort) who would want to take the child. Or if
                          the child has some sort of disability that may make it so it cannot or
                          will not respond to people calling out for it (deaf, prone to seizures,
                          mentally handicapped, or other).

                          In my supplies I have about 8 working radios at the moment along with a
                          bunch of flashlights. All of these can be utilized as well as cell
                          phones if you have reception in searching for a lost child. If you need
                          to borrow these for a camping event, please let me know. Also I know
                          the principalities should have some too. If you do not, I would ask
                          your exchequer to see if you can get them budgeted.

                          - Francisco

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                            While Francisco started this conversation as being specifically about looking for lost children, there may be occasions when an adult becomes lost or at least missing. If an adult should happen to take a walk in the woods and then fall and hurt themselves, should we not make the effort to find them? They may know exactly where they are, but we don't, and they can't get back. Alternatively, they could have become lost, rather than injured. Or both. That they are adult, is no reason to fail to search for them.

                            I think we should develop a general search/rescue policy with a graduating scale of "overdrive" modes depending on whether the missing person is an adult, a minor in their teens, a grade school age child, or a pre-school age child. The check list of what to do and when to do it should vary with the age and maturity level of the missing child/person.

                            This actually need not be too complicated. A list of actions to be taken when running a search can be developed. A series of limiting factors can be listed. The range/distance the missing person/child could have traveled is a factor. The physical condition of the person is another factor, as is their relative mental condition. Length of time missing is a factor as is the time of day when this all occurs. Certainly, any search already conducted by parents, family, friends, etc., is a factor. All of the above applies to adults as well as children. We just have to work faster and harder, the younger/smaller the missing child/person is.

                            Gwenhwyfaer

                            >>> Kenneth Flores <kflores@...> 10/3/11 2:19 PM >>>
                            My brother and sister constables,

                            In the past 2 Kingdom Level events, we have had 4 lost children. All
                            of which were found more or less well. But if this continues, we are
                            going to have a stressful time on our hands. On one hand, I am quite
                            pleased that we are getting a huge influx of kids, pre-teens, and
                            teenagers right now. I had over 50 minors on site at Crown which is a
                            good sign for the future of our society.

                            But our lost child policy needs some work. With a large quantity of
                            kids, a few are bound to wander off. Unless we leash them to their
                            parents or put some sort of West Kingdom GPS chip into their brains, we
                            are going to continue to organize search parties for these kids.

                            I'd like to start a discussion here to make a policy that all of us are
                            comfortable with and to establish a procedure when dealing with a lost
                            child which can be added to the Handbook.

                            Let the brainstorming begin.

                            -Francisco

                          • Nichollas
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                              Hi everyone,

                              I think we all agree it's the parents job to make sure they have
                              their kid, or have their kid with someone watching them. In my experience
                              as Constables the "policy" should be simple, we apply the same effort into
                              finding any lost person regardless of age. So that's the public statement,
                              we will do all in our power to find lost persons etc etc. Working this kind
                              of situation is easier than it appears and 90% of it is proper preparation
                              and training. The rest is IF you have the person power to pull it off, and
                              I agree calling in guards, chivalry or whomever it takes should never be a
                              problem, and in all my years I've never had any trouble rounding up those
                              kinds of volunteers. One key factor is as Constables we should never put
                              ourselves in any position that puts us at risk of looking or seeming
                              judgmental, so we can't ever say whose fault it is or lay any blame on
                              someone going lost, and I believe that kind of thinking dilutes the essence
                              of helping find someone anyhow, so we make sure our people know to remain
                              completely professional and just look for them. Once they are found its
                              simple, here's timmy back safe, glad we could help hope you have a nice day.
                              Never here's timmy next time put a leash on him or anything else derogatory.
                              If timmy wanders off again though we could gently say, please duct tape him
                              to your tent, Kidding kidding LOL But I think you all get my point.

                              This may seem like a little overkill but I'm coming from a
                              Kingdom that killed Constables off because of a few bad apples not keeping
                              their mouths shut about this kind of thing and others (loooooooong story)
                              and also the fact we usually have a gaggle of untrained volunteers who
                              sometimes can say the wrong thing when emotions are running high. As far as
                              what kind of policy to use to get parents to be responsible, there are many
                              but without tracking or accountability most won't work. The An-Tir policy
                              of keeping under 12 basically babysat seems reasonable. As to when to call
                              mundane authorities, I think the parent makes that determination. We can
                              recommend it to them once we feel we've exhausted all our resources, but if
                              the parent says they want to call in the mundanes from the very beginning we
                              have no right to tell them otherwise, just help and volunteer.

                              My to coppers worth.

                              Good Journey

                              Nichollas Keene

                              >>> Kenneth Flores <kflores@... <mailto:kflores%40pahl-mccay.com>
                              > 10/3/11 2:19 PM >>>
                              My brother and sister constables,

                              In the past 2 Kingdom Level events, we have had 4 lost children. All
                              of which were found more or less well. But if this continues, we are
                              going to have a stressful time on our hands. On one hand, I am quite
                              pleased that we are getting a huge influx of kids, pre-teens, and
                              teenagers right now. I had over 50 minors on site at Crown which is a
                              good sign for the future of our society.

                              But our lost child policy needs some work. With a large quantity of
                              kids, a few are bound to wander off. Unless we leash them to their
                              parents or put some sort of West Kingdom GPS chip into their brains, we
                              are going to continue to organize search parties for these kids.

                              I'd like to start a discussion here to make a policy that all of us are
                              comfortable with and to establish a procedure when dealing with a lost
                              child which can be added to the Handbook.

                              Let the brainstorming begin.

                              -Francisco

                              CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
                              confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use
                              of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or
                              disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the
                              Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended
                              recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the
                              communication.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                                One of the other issues we have had recently is the ever fun game of
                                telephone. "We've found them" "No we haven't" "Yes we have, oh wait,
                                sorry." This led to some confusion at Purg as well as at October Crown
                                when looking for two of the four lost ones. My hopes are that radios as
                                well as coordination with the Heralds will sort out that confusion in
                                the future.

                                Also, when looking for a child or adult. Make sure to get their first
                                and last name. Looking for Bob, or Steve, or Catherine... could lead to
                                confusion. Mundane name as well as SCA name could help too.

                                All of these suggestions are great so far, keep them coming and in a few
                                days I'll start putting together a plan to put into the handbook and to
                                discuss on the West List.

                                Thank you all for your service,

                                -Francisco

> [...]

                                and also the fact we usually have a gaggle of untrained volunteers who
                                sometimes can say the wrong thing when emotions are running high. As far
                                as
                                what kind of policy to use to get parents to be responsible, there are
                                many
                                but without tracking or accountability most won't work. The An-Tir
                                policy
                                of keeping under 12 basically babysat seems reasonable. As to when to
                                call
                                mundane authorities, I think the parent makes that determination. We can
                                recommend it to them once we feel we've exhausted all our resources, but
                                if
                                the parent says they want to call in the mundanes from the very
                                beginning we
                                have no right to tell them otherwise, just help and volunteer.

                                <mailto:kflores%40pahl-mccay.com> <mailto:kflores%40pahl-mccay.com>

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                                  This is for training and the handbook? I thought it was just public policy,
                                  I'll put in a whole nickel instead then later. J

                                  Later

                                  Nichollas

                                  From: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
                                    One of the best ways we used to use to handle this issue, and what we
                                    STARTED to do up at Purg this year before the child was found, was sending
                                    people out, not just in a specific direction, but also a specifc distance.
                                    As you get more volunteers, and those tend to increase as the search goes
                                    on, you fill in spaces from those farthest out (who keep moving out) back
                                    towards your central point, so you can get a relay in place, and those
                                    directing the search get word fastest when the child is found. It ends up
                                    acting rather like our emergency-vehicle point-chains.

                                    What this takes is someone to take charge quickly, coolly, and who can
                                    remain organized, when people are pushing for panic. Oh, wait, that'd be
                                    the Constabulary :). And, as a rule, you use the Eric as your center,
                                    because, well, that's usually about the center of site. Better is a
                                    specific location everyone knows at the center, like, say, the Royal or the
                                    BC.

                                    So, under ideal circumstances, distraught parent buttonholes you about their
                                    lost person. You take the parent to your zero-point, gathering information
                                    about the lost person, and grabbing volunteers as you go. At your zero
                                    point, you, and ideally the parent, stay PUT and send out your volunteers in
                                    specific directions (or to specific locations), with the information about
                                    the child and with the instruction that (unless there's a medical issue),
                                    the child is to be brought back to the zero point, and volunteers should
                                    start from the zero point so they can get all the information. Obviously,
                                    if you have known hazard spots on site (a pond, mineshaft, a gate in a
                                    fenced site, etc), send people there first.

                                    If, in your opinion, the site becomes saturated with volunteers and the
                                    child still hasn't been found, or the time is getting unreasonable, that's
                                    when you'd start to think about the mundane experts. Obviously, we can
                                    search the Woodland site much faster than, say, where we were for Purg--but
                                    at Purg, we had more considerable natural problems that might necessitate
                                    getting the pros sooner.

                                    At least, that's my shillings and pence.

                                    Gwyn