Blue cards and sign-in at gate at Crown

  • Stephen Tripp
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 28 3:04 PM
      A question that came up and was dealt with at Mists Bardic, but I
      thought should be formalized:

      How are blue cards going to be dealt with at Crown? Will
      photographic evidence on smartphones be allowed? I know that Eilis
      and Aldith (while I was working with Aldith at Mists Bardic) were of
      the opinion that such photos were NOT allowable, and the folks who
      didn't have their blue cards on them had to sign the waiver forms.
      If this is going to be the gate policy at Crown, we should let folks
      know as quickly as possible.

      Edric Rannulf
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 28 3:22 PM
        I don't know....
        There is a good argument for both choices. With that being said My two cents worth.
        Wife/husband show up. Husband always holds on to Wife's card due to lists and so she keeps a picture of her up to date card on her smart phone. And the picture is clear enough that you can tell that it hasn't been tampered with I.E. the dates, Why not? I actually think in this day and age it's a great idea.
        YIS/MTC

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 28 3:49 PM
          Thank you, Sven.

          I, like you, happen to be of two minds on the subject. However, not
          being an officer of any significant level, I wasn't willing to
          institute a fight with the Exchequers over this, so I went with what
          would make Aldith happy for the event.

          I just wanted to toss this out so the discussion could happen, and
          possibly be clarified over time.

          Edric

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 28 3:55 PM
            I personally would like to use photos, however the exchequers feel that
            they are too easily photoshopped. I got this information at Mists
            Bardic and haven't had a chance to pitch my side of the argument because
            I could just as easily photoshop my blue card, take it to kinkos and get
            a matching blue card stock.

            I think the membership card style needs to be addressed as the problem,
            not the other way around.

            Francisco

            I, like you, happen to be of two minds on the subject. However, not
            being an officer of any significant level, I wasn't willing to
            institute a fight with the Exchequers over this, so I went with what
            would make Aldith happy for the event.

            I just wanted to toss this out so the discussion could happen, and
            possibly be clarified over time.

            Edric

            On Sep 28, 2011, at 3:22 PM, sven gotfriedson wrote:

            > I don't know....
            > There is a good argument for both choices. With that being said My
            > two cents worth.
            > Wife/husband show up. Husband always holds on to Wife's card due to
            > lists and so she keeps a picture of her up to date card on her
            > smart phone. And the picture is clear enough that you can tell that
            > it hasn't been tampered with I.E. the dates, Why not? I actually
            > think in this day and age it's a great idea.
            > YIS/MTC
            > Sven
            >
            > ________________________________
            > From: Stephen Tripp <stephentripp@...
            > A question that came up and was dealt with at Mists Bardic, but I
            > thought should be formalized:
            >
            > How are blue cards going to be dealt with at Crown? Will
            > photographic evidence on smartphones be allowed? I know that Eilis
            > and Aldith (while I was working with Aldith at Mists Bardic) were of
            > the opinion that such photos were NOT allowable, and the folks who
            > didn't have their blue cards on them had to sign the waiver forms.
            > If this is going to be the gate policy at Crown, we should let folks
            > know as quickly as possible.
            >
            > Edric Rannulf

          • Rivenoak Constable
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 28 4:06 PM
              I'm going to side with the Exchequers on this one. The Blue Cards represent
              a legal document that must be signed if they are to be valid. A photo is
              not a legal document. I realize that this goes a little beyond what the
              folks at Gate are responsible for but, ultimately, it's the CiC's
              responsibility to make sure that all the legal documents are filled out
              properly. I think that allowing for facsimiles to be valid for gate sign in
              can open us up for more legal issues than the slight convenience a picture
              might have.

              Just my twa ducats from an old country constable..

              Gregor

              From: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 28 4:11 PM
                I of coarse will do it the way that the Excequer wants it but I would like to be in on the conversation when it is discussed. BTW I also caught that Elis was there and put the kobosh on photographic proof too. Good luck. ;0)

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 28 4:19 PM
                  Yes she was. But I will sit down and talk with her about it. Other officers are already accepting copies and photos of the blue card (Lists), and they are just as liable for safety and valid proofs of membership. So if I get a chance I will talk to her at Crown.

                  Francisco

                  I of coarse will do it the way that the Excequer wants it but I would like to be in on the conversation when it is discussed. BTW I also caught that Elis was there and put the kobosh on photographic proof too. Good luck. ;0)

                  I, like you, happen to be of two minds on the subject. However, not
                  being an officer of any significant level, I wasn't willing to
                  institute a fight with the Exchequers over this, so I went with what
                  would make Aldith happy for the event.

                  I just wanted to toss this out so the discussion could happen, and
                  possibly be clarified over time.

                  Edric

                  On Sep 28, 2011, at 3:22 PM, sven gotfriedson wrote:

                  > I don't know....
                  > There is a good argument for both choices. With that being said My
                  > two cents worth.
                  > Wife/husband show up. Husband always holds on to Wife's card due to
                  > lists and so she keeps a picture of her up to date card on her
                  > smart phone. And the picture is clear enough that you can tell that
                  > it hasn't been tampered with I.E. the dates, Why not? I actually
                  > think in this day and age it's a great idea.
                  > YIS/MTC
                  > Sven
                  >
                  > ________________________________
                  > From: Stephen Tripp <stephentripp@... <mailto:stephentripp%40mac.com>
                  > A question that came up and was dealt with at Mists Bardic, but I
                  > thought should be formalized:
                  >
                  > How are blue cards going to be dealt with at Crown? Will
                  > photographic evidence on smartphones be allowed? I know that Eilis
                  > and Aldith (while I was working with Aldith at Mists Bardic) were of
                  > the opinion that such photos were NOT allowable, and the folks who
                  > didn't have their blue cards on them had to sign the waiver forms.
                  > If this is going to be the gate policy at Crown, we should let folks
                  > know as quickly as possible.
                  >
                  > Edric Rannulf

                • David George
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 28 4:23 PM
                    Here is my thought. Not entirely in jest.

                    Put bar codes on blue cards. Allow electronic images of the cards. Design a bar code reader app that would allow you to scan a blue card into a roster which can be printed out and given to exchequers etc.

                    If they are allowing electronic images for plane tickets/boarding passes, it should probably be okay for our purposes.

                    Dafydd

                    David A. George

                    Ham call sign: KB3SHD

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 28 4:29 PM
                      That is something that has to be done on a Society Level. Which I brought up with Rusty at the last BoD meeting. Either barcode or RFID chips. Something to streamline the process. He’s looking into it. It would also make it so you don’t have to have your most recent slip of paper in your wallet. It would be more like a credit card.

                      It’s in the works. Bear with us, the society is still wrapping it’s head around the whole internet and technology thing.

                      On Sep 28, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Kenneth Flores <kflores@... <mailto:kflores%40pahl-mccay.com> > wrote:

                      > Yes she was. But I will sit down and talk with her about it. Other officers are already accepting copies and photos of the blue card (Lists), and they are just as liable for safety and valid proofs of membership. So if I get a chance I will talk to her at Crown.
                      >

                      > Francisco

                    • Ginni Morgan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 28 4:31 PM
                        The signature on a blue card can be argued as a contract. It is my understanding that in California, photocopies of signed contracts and other legal documents have the same force and effect (validity) as the original itself and can be accepted in court in lieu of a missing original. Or something to that effect. I don't have time to do the actual legal research on it, but some one of our lawyers ought to be able to give you a an opinion on the subject.

                        Gwenhwyfaer

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 28 5:10 PM
                          The point is, in the West we trust people.

                          We can certainly trust folks for the completely insignificant amount of money involved, esp as the wkwk would cover it anyway.
                          Wulfy

                          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 28 5:12 PM
                            The waiver is more or less worthless as legal protection, anyway.

                            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 28 5:35 PM
                              Actually Wulfy,
                              WKWC is having a hard time covering the NMS. The donations to the cause have been very low. I believe that we as a constabulary group should make sure that people that use it aren't abusing it. I realize that That Flieg would say "no no no" As long as I can do it I will" but there are people that I have seen use it just because it's there. There is a misnomer out there that WKWC has an inexhaustible account. Now before I put my foot in it here, please know that I do feel that those that truly needed it should use it, But we as CIC/constables should discourage improper use of the WKWC for anything other than it's intended use.
                              Putting soap box away now.

                            • oldwolf1@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 28 10:55 PM
                                --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Tripp <stephentripp@...> wrote:

                                > A question that came up and was dealt with at Mists Bardic, but I
                                > thought should be formalized:
                                >
                                > How are blue cards going to be dealt with at Crown? Will
                                > photographic evidence on smartphones be allowed? I know that Eilis
                                > and Aldith (while I was working with Aldith at Mists Bardic) were of
                                > the opinion that such photos were NOT allowable, and the folks who
                                > didn't have their blue cards on them had to sign the waiver forms.
                                > If this is going to be the gate policy at Crown, we should let folks
                                > know as quickly as possible.
                                >
                                > Edric Rannulf

                                I was told from on high that I need to see either the Blue Card, a current Page, or printed membership receipt to validate membership, and afterall, that's what this is about. Validating ones membership. Imho I think it's just more makework for us at Gate. I know most faces when I see them, so I know who's who. And tell them the fees that they need to know if they don't already.

                                Brian
                                Constable of Fettburg.
                              • Glenn Gorsuch
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 29 7:44 AM
                                  Um, I don't think we can do this, acting as Constables. The WKWC is
                                  something that a non-official group of good-hearted individuals is doing,
                                  and discouraging ANYONE from using it, no matter how much the abuse the
                                  priviledge, is counter to the wishes of the founder of the WKWC, as I
                                  understand it.

                                  What we CAN do, if time and such permit, is remind people that the WKWC is
                                  largely funded by donations...and make sure we're willing to answer
                                  questions about it, and make sure the donation box is prominently visible.

                                  Then again, I have a couple good friends who don't like the whole NMS thing,
                                  and as a result, refuse to become members of the Society. They take the
                                  WKWC up on their offer every time...and donate $5 or more to the WKWC each
                                  and every time they do so. Just to prove their point.

                                  And Brian, the point of those whole card kerfuffle is that we AREN'T
                                  supposed to rely on fallible memory any more or anything like trust. After
                                  all, *I* am a friend of yours, right? Can you tell me when MY card
                                  expires? Or even say if I have a blue or white card?

                                  One other thing--the waiver-text *isn't* of "negligible value". Of course,
                                  people have the right to sue whomever, whatever they sign. But the waiver
                                  text goes a long way to showing the judge if they DO sue that hey, we tried
                                  to tell them this was potentially dangerous, and it's not OUR fault if Bobo
                                  the Earless didn't listen when we yelled at him NOT to go wandering out onto
                                  the Lists Field when fighting was happening.

                                  On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM, sven gotfriedson <
                                  sven_gotfriedson@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Actually Wulfy,
                                  > WKWC is having a hard time covering the NMS. The donations to the cause
                                  > have been very low. I believe that we as a constabulary group should make
                                  > sure that people that use it aren't abusing it. I realize that That Flieg
                                  > would say "no no no" As long as I can do it I will" but there are people
                                  > that I have seen use it just because it's there. There is a misnomer out
                                  > there that WKWC has an inexhaustible account. Now before I put my foot in it
                                  > here, please know that I do feel that those that truly needed it should use
                                  > it, But we as CIC/constables should discourage improper use of the WKWC for
                                  > anything other than it's intended use.
                                  > Putting soap box away now.
                                  > Sven
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • John LaTorre
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 29 8:31 AM
                                    Wulfstan wrote:

                                    > The waiver is more or less worthless as legal protection, anyway.

                                    Not so. The United States Hang Gliding association has been relying on
                                    the protection of waivers for decades. In every case where the waiver
                                    has been contested, courts have confirmed their validity.

                                    This assumes, of course, that the waiver is properly written, but that
                                    issue I'll leave to the lawyers.

                                    --Johann von Drachenfels
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 29 8:51 AM
                                      In regards to the WKWC: His Grace has stated that as long as at least
                                      50% of the cost of the providing it is donated by the populace, he will
                                      continue to run it. Now I know that we are not getting 50% at a
                                      kingdom level. And from what I have seen, we are far from getting that
                                      at a local level. Unless people find a means to be generous the WKWC
                                      will go away within a year or two.

                                      Personally, I believe in the WKWC and oppose the NMS, I just want to lay
                                      that out on the table.

                                      I would encourage all the local constables to put together a WKWC box
                                      for your local group, but only if you believe in the cause. I won't
                                      force anyone to make a donation box if they don't want to. And
                                      encourage people to donate if they can. This is one of the only ways
                                      we'll be able to keep the WKWC going now that the NMS is 5 bucks a
                                      person.

                                      Francisco

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 29 10:56 AM
                                        --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Gorsuch <ggorsuch@...> wrote:

                                        > Um, I don't think we can do this, acting as Constables. The WKWC is
                                        > something that a non-official group of good-hearted individuals is doing,
                                        > and discouraging ANYONE from using it, no matter how much the abuse the
                                        > priviledge, is counter to the wishes of the founder of the WKWC, as I
                                        > understand it.
                                        >
                                        > What we CAN do, if time and such permit, is remind people that the WKWC is
                                        > largely funded by donations...and make sure we're willing to answer
                                        > questions about it, and make sure the donation box is prominently visible.
                                        >
                                        > Then again, I have a couple good friends who don't like the whole NMS thing,
                                        > and as a result, refuse to become members of the Society. They take the
                                        > WKWC up on their offer every time...and donate $5 or more to the WKWC each
                                        > and every time they do so. Just to prove their point.
                                        >
                                        > And Brian, the point of those whole card kerfuffle is that we AREN'T
                                        > supposed to rely on fallible memory any more or anything like trust. After
                                        > all, *I* am a friend of yours, right? Can you tell me when MY card
                                        > expires? Or even say if I have a blue or white card?
                                        >
                                        > One other thing--the waiver-text *isn't* of "negligible value". Of course,
                                        > people have the right to sue whomever, whatever they sign. But the waiver
                                        > text goes a long way to showing the judge if they DO sue that hey, we tried
                                        > to tell them this was potentially dangerous, and it's not OUR fault if Bobo
                                        > the Earless didn't listen when we yelled at him NOT to go wandering out onto
                                        > the Lists Field when fighting was happening.
                                        >
                                        > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM, sven gotfriedson <
                                        > sven_gotfriedson@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > **
                                        > >

                                        > > Actually Wulfy,
                                        > > WKWC is having a hard time covering the NMS. The donations to the cause
                                        > > have been very low. I believe that we as a constabulary group should make
                                        > > sure that people that use it aren't abusing it. I realize that That Flieg
                                        > > would say "no no no" As long as I can do it I will" but there are people
                                        > > that I have seen use it just because it's there. There is a misnomer out
                                        > > there that WKWC has an inexhaustible account. Now before I put my foot in it
                                        > > here, please know that I do feel that those that truly needed it should use
                                        > > it, But we as CIC/constables should discourage improper use of the WKWC for
                                        > > anything other than it's intended use.
                                        > > Putting soap box away now.
                                        > > Sven
                                        > >
                                        > > ________________________________

                                        Point is, that at some point we have to rely on trust(My own issues not withstanding). As Francisco already stated, Blue Cards can be made from card stock at Kinko's. Especially from those that have been in longer than others, we should expect equal or more trust from them than from other newer members. For what will we be as a Society without it? I will not let this turn me into some paranoid individual sitting at gate asking for a pound of flesh, and birth certificates from at least 3 of their grandparents to prove who they are(Although holding an SCA Blood Drive isn't a bad idea). If we can't trust ourselves, or our Society, who can we trust??? For without it, society collapses.

                                        Brian

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 29 2:36 PM
                                            Indeed, as our esteemed Francisco has stated (and others already noted) the
                                            membership card is about as easy to forge as a identification token can be.
                                            And for heavens' sake, let's not give the BoD the idea to do something more,
                                            like bar-codes, or plastic cards, or embedded RFID tags.

                                            But right now, the rule is to present those little, easily-forgable pieces
                                            of paper. Even when it offends the Western notion of honor (and,
                                            truthfully, having to do so annoys me too.) In point of fact, that's why
                                            the waiver text used to be on all the sign-in forms until recently--we were
                                            able to argue to the BoD that it didn't MATTER what color card, if any that
                                            you had, we made sure EVERYONE had that waiver for a given event.

                                            Just remember, if having to view someone's pasteboard offends your sense of
                                            honor, that our office is also in fealty to the King and our jobs ARE to
                                            follow the rules--doing your job, even if distasteful, is in itself a mark
                                            of honor.

                                            Oh, and it's VERY period, especially for us Welsh folk, to be able to spew
                                            out our lineage back to at least 9 generations at the drop of the proverbial
                                            liripipe. Insist that all pounds of flesh be properly trimmed and seasoned
                                            for cooking.

                                            Gwyn