FW: [sca-west] An Announcement about gate and Sign In Waivers

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
      The announcement I made this morning on SCA West. If you have
      questions, we should discuss it here.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
        Greetings,

        I have a few questions/concerns regarding this policy.
        Without a sign in sheet how would we check to see if certain individuals
        were in attendance, especially if those people were up for awards, or not
        supposed to be there. Also won't this wreak havoc with the exchequers
        trying to figure out the head count, or how many people were comped in. I
        know some indoor events have a limited head count for the buildings. This
        would also make it ridiculously difficult to track someone's attendance if
        it were necessary, say that someone is accusing someone else of something,
        without a sign in sheet to prove or disprove their attendance it might be
        difficult.

        I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, and please also know
        that all of this is said with respect, an open mind, a smile on my face, and
        beer in my hand if off duty. J It's just that after having to deal with too
        many years of pleah and needing those sheets on several occasion my old
        constable senses kick on with this one.

        Good Journey

        Nichollas Keene

        Retired Senior Teaching Constable

        Captain of the Secret Police of the Summits (Sshhh)

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
          All of these questions did come up in our meetings, let me try to
          address them for you.

          - There still will be a sign in sheet for individuals who are
          non-members, white-card holders, and individuals who forgot their blue
          cards at home.

          - Figuring out if someone is there for an award would fall the
          heralds. And the sign in sheets at events are rarely used to see if
          someone is at an event, and probably shouldn't be used in that manner in
          the first place as the waivers could be considered confidential.
          Wherein the information of who was at the event can only be accessed by
          a subpoena by the courts.

          - Gate will still keep a tally of the number of attendees. A
          sheet is being made right now for that purpose. But this sheet will
          only be a series of numbers or tick marks to give to the exchequers for
          their totals. Comps will either end up on this sheet if they are
          members (Royals in some instances) or they will sign the waiver form (if
          the group is comping someone who this is their first event or they are
          just running in to drop something off for example but are non-members)

          - Tracking someone's attendance can be done a number of ways.
          I know that one way I was able to prove that a person was at an event
          that they said they weren't was to simply go to their Facebook page and
          look at the photos they were tagged in. If they are not supposed to be
          at an event, your constabulary should know. If they are banished, or
          have been R&D'd you can request a list from your Kingdom Exchequer of
          the list of those people. But communication with the office of the
          constabulary is key to keeping people out of events that shouldn't be
          there.

          - There have been a few incidents involving lawsuits over the
          past few years where one party was trying to use the sign in sheets as
          evidence. The way they are right now in the West (with 20 names on a
          sheet) they can not be used in that manner without each individual
          person on that list signing a release form to allow their information to
          be released. Freedom of Information Act I believe. (CAID had to deal
          with this issue a few years ago and this was the resulting ruling, so
          said the Society Exchequer who was CAID's Seneschal at the time)

          I hope this helps and answers your questions. But if you have more
          concerns, I'd love to hear them.

          Francisco

          From: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:wkconstabulary%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
          wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wkconstabulary%40yahoogroups.com>
          ]
          On Behalf Of Kenneth Flores

          From: sca-west@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-west%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
            Good Gentles, please pardon the interruption,

            My name is Lord Iohannes Kynith from the Outlands. I used to be the
            Baronial Constable for Caerthe, and since the Outlands does not have a
            Constabulary I opted in to this and a few other lists quite a while ago.

            As a suggestion: We've been taking Blue Cards with no need to sign waivers
            for over a year now. What we do is have everyone sign in at Gate. While
            the attendee is filling out Mundane Name, SCA Name & Home (usually Barony
            name) the Gate person is filling out the Card #, monetary info (non-member
            fee, gate fee, feast fee, check #, etc) on the same form. It provides us
            the maximum amount of info, the least amount of pain for our attendees and
            covers those questions brought up by Nichollas.

            If you are wondering how 2 people can be writing on the same page/line at
            the same time - the line is half right side up (for the attendee) and the
            gate portion is upside down (from the attendee's perspective). I would be
            more than happy to track down a PDF if it is of interest. The waiver book
            is also there for the non-members and white cards of course.

            YIS

            Iohannes, DSB

            From: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com

            From: sca-west@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-west%40yahoogroups.com>

          • cathyblancett@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
              One thought to the proof if some attended or not. Lawyers cost money and
              ours, SCA Inc, would have to be involved costing more money and membersip
              pays for those lawyers.
              Catherine

              Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
                Lord Ioannes,

                Thank you for your reply to this subject. It is great to be hearing
                from other kingdoms on how their sign in process is run. Our old
                process was very similar to your current process in the Outlands, the
                only major change was that we allowed the guest to write their member
                number in the box on the sign in sheet.

                After a meeting with the Society Exchequer and the Society Seneschal it
                was deemed unnecessary to keep such a list at this time. Non-members
                will still be signing that form, which has the SCA release of Liability
                statement on the top of it, however members will no longer have to sign
                that form as their waiver is on file at the corporate office.

                Constabulary will keep a tally of attendees to the event of various
                types: Members, Minor members that are paying a reduced rate, Minor
                members that are free (under a certain age) and comps (Royalty) and any
                other category that need to apply for each event.

                Once again, thank you for your imput and if there are any other
                individuals on this list from other kingdoms who would like to describe
                your sign in process, I would love to hear it.

                Francisco

                Kingdom Constable

                From: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com

                From: sca-west@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-west%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
                  In my experience, checking the sign-in for who is there is almost always a waste
                  of time.

[...]

                • christophedavignon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 15, 2011
                    Holy crap! "Drastically streamlined" indeed!! (And NO! That is by no means a complaint!) Sounds awesome!

                    Christophe

                    --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Flores" <kflores@...> wrote:

                    > The announcement I made this morning on SCA West. If you have
                    > questions, we should discuss it here.

                  • Robin Of Silverwood
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
                      Hello,

                      Just a question to clarify my understanding. In general, I have not seen sign in sheets & waivers at Demos. Last year when Southern Shores combined Warlords (SCA Event) with the Santa Clara County Fair Demo, I presented a "mobile gate" bringing my clipboard around to the SCA attendees for sign-in (there was no gate fee). Sheets for Fair attendees coming by our section was limited to those wanting to be on a list to get more information about the SCA and the Province of Southern Shores.

                      This year, Warlords is not combined with the Demo. It is Demo / Fighter-Practice-as-Demo only (again, no site fee). I am assuming I'll do something like I did last year (although I can only be present for Saturday as I have to work during the Sunday "Fighter-Practice-as-Demo" portion).

                      Given the new show card & tally section.... and given that this is a demo where fair goers may wish to participate in a bout of foam weapons combat but otherwise just be observers:
                      1. Should I be collecting sign-ins / tally as present all SCA participants to submit to the Kingdom?
                      2. What about waivers for foam-weapons participants (if non-SCA members)?
                      3. Given the "Fighter-Practice-as-Demo" part for Sunday, is it necessary for a Constable to be present at a "demo"?

                      YIS,
                      Robin of Silverwood
                      Constable, Province of Southern Shores

                      Cc: Cynthia de Mithamroad, Santa Clara County Fair Demonstration Autocrat
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2011
                        Good question Robin,

                        As I have never run a demo at a county fair before, I am not entirely
                        sure of what the policies of the event require. But what I would like
                        to see is a tally of members attending the event as well as a waiver
                        signed by any non-members participating in an activity that they could
                        be injured.

                        I can't ask you to make everyone who walks past the booth sign the form,
                        but people who do hang around and are interested and want to participate
                        should sign the waiver.

                        Francisco

                        p.s. sorry for getting back to you so late, I was sick for the past few
                        days.