A question...well, several

  • Glenn Gorsuch
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2011
      I see that our upcoming Crown event has, as an option, family-pack entry
      pricing. Being an old and fussy sort of Constable person, and hoping for
      uniformity in dealing with things (as well as being mundanely in a job where
      'family' has some pretty specific rigid meanings, with a burden of proof), I
      have to ask:

      What constitutes a "family"? Parents and kids? What about adults related
      one way or another with them (i.e., bringing along my adult brother who's
      interested but who doesn't live with us)? Unmarried-but-significant-others
      who live in the home? A family bringing along a neighbor kid (hopefully
      with properly executed medical authorization in hand)?

      Do they need to be travelling together? (Example: Mom drives in with their
      4 kids, gets the family rate. Dad shows up later from work--is he
      included?).

      What would you LIKE us to do when the family claims get...well, ridiculous
      ("Oh, yeah, well, my whole SCA household IS my family, I declare them so,
      because I don't like my parents!")?

      Just to open a 6-pack of annelids, as I understand it, the NMS doesn't apply
      to discounted rates (as in children, with their discounted rate, don't pay a
      NMS). Does that rule apply to THIS discounted rate as well?

      And lastly, how do we note this on the sign-in sheets? The amount paid
      ($40) for the first person, and nothing for everyone else? Or an 'F', maybe
      for the others?

      Gwyn Chwith ap Llyr,
      Constabulus Persnicitatus

      PS: All this said, I don't actually think the family-pack pricing will be
      taken advantage of TOO often, and hey, if it brings more whole families in
      who otherwise might not pay the extra $10 or $20 or whatever, so much the
      better. -G

      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2011
        A good question, where I have a few answers for you.

        Firstly I am looking for the specific wording for you in regards to who
        is allowable to be part of the "family". But I believe it does allow
        some leeway in that regards. Parents and children. Grandparents and
        grandchildren if the Grandparents are the primary parental units.
        Adoptions of course. I believe same sex couples are also covered under
        the policy with any children between them. I believe immediate family
        also counts. Like a brother, or if you're taking your 87 year old
        mother and your kids to the event (as an example).

        Family units are difficult to determine in modern society. If a group
        of people do show up saying that they are family and are taking the
        group rate, use your best judgment. I will try to make this part as
        clear as possible; According to the SCA, your SCA Household is not
        considered your "Family" for this rate. Your Family can be in your
        Household, but if your household is 50 people, they aren't all getting
        the group rate. It is a privilege that isn't to be abused, and so far
        from what I have seen, it hasn't.

        They do not need to arrive in the same car, but that sort of thing does
        get complicated, especially when they show up at two different times.

        NMS issues - This is the part that makes the Family rate confusing. The
        5$ NMS still does apply to the individuals that have to pay full price
        for the event normally. Example: Two Parents with Three children. The
        Parents are members, the children are not. The children are 13, 15, and
        18. The total would end up being 45$ (as the 18 year old is not a
        member, but still can take advantage of the Family plan with his/her
        parents but still must pay the NMS on that individual).

        As for bookkeeping for the family plan, on the First person who is
        signing in, put the total amount paid. For the rest of the people,
        please put "F". Please remember that this sort of discount does not
        apply to additional fees for events, such as tickets for feasts.
        Typically the feast tickets are separate from the "Day Event" portion of
        the Event Fee. This portion is not applicable to the Family Rate.

        I hope this helps,

        Francisco

        Kingdom Constable

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2011
          From the exchequer $$ side of gate.... Please also see Francisco's email.

          Family gate fees are:
          A Family Membership would include two (2) adults (parents, parental units, or
          guardians) and any children 17 and under.

          Gate Fee:

          Family Max Members $40.00
          1 Adults & children Family Max Non Member $45.00
          2 Adults & children Family Max Non Member $50.00

          I hope this helps.

          Also see for SCA Membership information:
          http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/commentary.html?id=16