Re: [West Constables] Fire Rules for Woodland Fairgrounds

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
      As the rules sit now,
      1) fire pits need to be off the ground so as not to char the ground under it, (no such thing as an 18in rule) There must be fire suppression (i.e. Water is fine for wood or charcoal fires but fire extinguishers are required for presto, Dura flame or any other pressed paraffin logs.) Please note that the CiC or fire walk constables judgment on if the fire pit is safe is always respected. If you see a fire pit that is obviously defective and a threat to safety, then by all means shut it down. If they give you any flack refer to the CiC or a senior or higher rank constable. Please do not start a fight.  It can be resolved in a equitable manner and you don't have to take the heat ( no pun intended) that's our job as Principality or Kingdom Level.
      Oil tekki torches are still outlawed but obviously the propane (individual or big tank) are fine as long as they are securely mounted and not just stuck in the ground.(side note, there are some smaller groups that like the look of the tekki torches and as long as there is no oil in the reservoirs that's fine. but if they are lit then they will be put out and confiscated until the end of the event.)
      Fire dancers: this is a very touchy subject.  I have allowed dances in the past for entertainment reasons, but with the follow criteria. 1) the dancer can not be drinking alcohol for intoxication reasons. 2) They must demonstrate that they can handle the equipment and that equipment is in good working order. I.E. no broken parts so as to have a fire pot fly off the chain. 3) There must be a responsible person with a fire extinguishers standing by for emergencies.
      I hope these have answered your question and I encouage other senior constable to give their input on the subject.
      For further information or questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
      YIS
      Sven Gotfriedson
      Kingdom Constable

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        As an addendum...and yes, a lot of this SOUNDS obvious, but as we've found
        over the years, no point is so obvious it doesn't need to be made...

        Fires need to be attended by someone responsible. If there's a firepit
        going in a camp, and no one's there to watch it, or all you hear are snores
        from a tent, or it's just someone's 6-year old...that fire needs to go out.
        Sure, take the time to make SURE someone hasn't dashed to the privy and
        back, but after a reasonable interval, do what you need to.

        Local conditions can modify these rules--to make them harsher, and almost
        never to relax them. To wit, if there's high winds, and we're all camping
        in tall dry grass...at the call of the CinC...all those fires can go out, no
        matter how high the pit is off the ground. Or...Yes, the site owner may
        have fire rings scattered about, with the plain intent that they be
        used...but we don't use them, except maybe as bases for our own firepits.

        And having two fire-suppression methods is a good idea. A fire extinguisher
        is great, but a near-by bucket of water or sand can save you having to
        replace or refill that extinguisher for just a small spark. If a chunk of
        charcoal hits the grass and it starts to blaze up or even smolder, we'd
        rather have someone act decisively with a convenient bucket of grey-water
        than hesitate to use someone's $25, non-rechargable fire extinguisher.

        Be fire-paranoid. We are OFTEN referred to in other Kingdoms as crazy,
        because we're so...dedicated in our fire-safety. But you know what? We get
        to use fires in places that most groups can't. And the few times we HAVE
        had fire issues (and yes, I can tell stories), it was the West's quick
        action and construtive fire-paranoia that saved the
        day/pavillion/camp/site...

        Gwyn

        On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM, sven gotfriedson <sven_gotfriedson@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
          I even said for #3 they had to have their own on site warranted Constable. Being as a number of constables do like to watch the dancing, this wasn't hard to arrange.

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
            My fave is a fire blanket or even a large wool scrap soaking in a bucket. You can find fire blankets on ebay and they last forever. They are very very good for grease or garb fires.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
              thank you your Excelency, well said.

> [...]

              > look of the tekki torches and as long as there is no oil in the reservoirs
              > that's fine. but if they are lit then they will be put out and confiscated
              > until the end of the event.)
              > Fire dancers: this is a very touchy subject.  I have allowed dances in the
              > past for entertainment reasons, but with the follow criteria. 1) the dancer
              > can not be drinking alcohol for intoxication reasons. 2) They must
              > demonstrate that they can handle the equipment and that equipment is in good
              > working order. I.E. no broken parts so as to have a fire pot fly off the
              > chain. 3) There must be a responsible person with a fire extinguishers
              > standing by for emergencies.
              > I hope these have answered your question and I encouage other senior
              > constable to give their input on the subject.
              > For further information or questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

            • John LaTorre
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                Sven wrote:
                > no such thing as an 18in rule

                One small clarification here. In some places, there is an "18 inch rule"
                but it's not our rule. Rancho Seco required a height of 18" off the
                ground, and I think that there was at least one other place as well (not
                enough coffee to access the secondary memory banks). Can anybody
                refresh my memory on this?

                --Johann von Drachenfels
              • greg Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                  I believe I remember reading on SCA-West a month or so back that Flieg
                  commented that "there is not now, nor ever was, a minimum height requirement
                  in the Kingdom". I've always know it to be site specific hence the question
                  regarding Woodland specifically. Thanks to everybody responding and
                  catching me up on the current rules and practices.

                  Gregor

                  --
                  When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
                  Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

                  Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos

                  The Dreaded Blog - http://parrottude.blogspot.com/

                  SCA Photo Pages -
                  http://amberandgregsscaphotos.shutterfly.com/

                • Glenn Gorsuch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                    And the mention of Fleig reminds me... (doing a Fleig-ish beard-rub, except
                    mine isn't long enough). One site (and it may well have been Rancho Seco,
                    or maybe down in the Scented Lands near the minimum security prison) told us
                    on one occasion, instead of a specific height above ground, that they wanted
                    some extra radiant heat-shielding between the firepits and their lush green
                    turf. Most folks made do with just a square of plywood or some such on the
                    ground beneath their 'pits...but when one person didn't have such, I believe
                    it was Fleig who proposed that they take their spare (square) grill, wrap it
                    a few times around with aluminum foil, and use that as a shield. Works a
                    treat, and has the added bonus of being QUITE fire resistant, and reflects
                    any errant heat back up, where it can do some good.

                    While again, this isn't a KINGDOM rule, it's still not a bad practice,
                    especially as most Regulus-style collapsable firepits DO leak ash. it's
                    also a nice way to make sure that any tall weed-type things are kept out of
                    the potential ignition zone, without doing yard-work.

                    It's sort of ironic, because of all the many marvelous and varied things
                    Fleig keeps in that van of his (up to and including a toilet plunger),
                    aluminum foil isn't one of them.

                    Gwyn

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Yes, that was the rule at a couple of events, and it's a good general rule. No matter any height REQUIREMENT, not burning the grass is just plain good manners.