Fire Rules for Woodland Fairgrounds

  • rivenoakconstable
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2010
      I've had a couple people ask me and I don't know. Plus, I have a new
      firepit and would like to be "legal".

      Gregor

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        As the rules sit now,
        1) fire pits need to be off the ground so as not to char the ground under it, (no such thing as an 18in rule) There must be fire suppression (i.e. Water is fine for wood or charcoal fires but fire extinguishers are required for presto, Dura flame or any other pressed paraffin logs.) Please note that the CiC or fire walk constables judgment on if the fire pit is safe is always respected. If you see a fire pit that is obviously defective and a threat to safety, then by all means shut it down. If they give you any flack refer to the CiC or a senior or higher rank constable. Please do not start a fight.  It can be resolved in a equitable manner and you don't have to take the heat ( no pun intended) that's our job as Principality or Kingdom Level.
        Oil tekki torches are still outlawed but obviously the propane (individual or big tank) are fine as long as they are securely mounted and not just stuck in the ground.(side note, there are some smaller groups that like the look of the tekki torches and as long as there is no oil in the reservoirs that's fine. but if they are lit then they will be put out and confiscated until the end of the event.)
        Fire dancers: this is a very touchy subject.  I have allowed dances in the past for entertainment reasons, but with the follow criteria. 1) the dancer can not be drinking alcohol for intoxication reasons. 2) They must demonstrate that they can handle the equipment and that equipment is in good working order. I.E. no broken parts so as to have a fire pot fly off the chain. 3) There must be a responsible person with a fire extinguishers standing by for emergencies.
        I hope these have answered your question and I encouage other senior constable to give their input on the subject.
        For further information or questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
        YIS
        Sven Gotfriedson
        Kingdom Constable

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
          As an addendum...and yes, a lot of this SOUNDS obvious, but as we've found
          over the years, no point is so obvious it doesn't need to be made...

          Fires need to be attended by someone responsible. If there's a firepit
          going in a camp, and no one's there to watch it, or all you hear are snores
          from a tent, or it's just someone's 6-year old...that fire needs to go out.
          Sure, take the time to make SURE someone hasn't dashed to the privy and
          back, but after a reasonable interval, do what you need to.

          Local conditions can modify these rules--to make them harsher, and almost
          never to relax them. To wit, if there's high winds, and we're all camping
          in tall dry grass...at the call of the CinC...all those fires can go out, no
          matter how high the pit is off the ground. Or...Yes, the site owner may
          have fire rings scattered about, with the plain intent that they be
          used...but we don't use them, except maybe as bases for our own firepits.

          And having two fire-suppression methods is a good idea. A fire extinguisher
          is great, but a near-by bucket of water or sand can save you having to
          replace or refill that extinguisher for just a small spark. If a chunk of
          charcoal hits the grass and it starts to blaze up or even smolder, we'd
          rather have someone act decisively with a convenient bucket of grey-water
          than hesitate to use someone's $25, non-rechargable fire extinguisher.

          Be fire-paranoid. We are OFTEN referred to in other Kingdoms as crazy,
          because we're so...dedicated in our fire-safety. But you know what? We get
          to use fires in places that most groups can't. And the few times we HAVE
          had fire issues (and yes, I can tell stories), it was the West's quick
          action and construtive fire-paranoia that saved the
          day/pavillion/camp/site...

          Gwyn

          On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM, sven gotfriedson <sven_gotfriedson@...

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
            I even said for #3 they had to have their own on site warranted Constable. Being as a number of constables do like to watch the dancing, this wasn't hard to arrange.

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
              My fave is a fire blanket or even a large wool scrap soaking in a bucket. You can find fire blankets on ebay and they last forever. They are very very good for grease or garb fires.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                thank you your Excelency, well said.

> [...]

                > look of the tekki torches and as long as there is no oil in the reservoirs
                > that's fine. but if they are lit then they will be put out and confiscated
                > until the end of the event.)
                > Fire dancers: this is a very touchy subject.  I have allowed dances in the
                > past for entertainment reasons, but with the follow criteria. 1) the dancer
                > can not be drinking alcohol for intoxication reasons. 2) They must
                > demonstrate that they can handle the equipment and that equipment is in good
                > working order. I.E. no broken parts so as to have a fire pot fly off the
                > chain. 3) There must be a responsible person with a fire extinguishers
                > standing by for emergencies.
                > I hope these have answered your question and I encouage other senior
                > constable to give their input on the subject.
                > For further information or questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

              • John LaTorre
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Sven wrote:
                  > no such thing as an 18in rule

                  One small clarification here. In some places, there is an "18 inch rule"
                  but it's not our rule. Rancho Seco required a height of 18" off the
                  ground, and I think that there was at least one other place as well (not
                  enough coffee to access the secondary memory banks). Can anybody
                  refresh my memory on this?

                  --Johann von Drachenfels
                • greg Williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                    I believe I remember reading on SCA-West a month or so back that Flieg
                    commented that "there is not now, nor ever was, a minimum height requirement
                    in the Kingdom". I've always know it to be site specific hence the question
                    regarding Woodland specifically. Thanks to everybody responding and
                    catching me up on the current rules and practices.

                    Gregor

                    --
                    When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
                    Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

                    Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos

                    The Dreaded Blog - http://parrottude.blogspot.com/

                    SCA Photo Pages -
                    http://amberandgregsscaphotos.shutterfly.com/

                  • Glenn Gorsuch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                      And the mention of Fleig reminds me... (doing a Fleig-ish beard-rub, except
                      mine isn't long enough). One site (and it may well have been Rancho Seco,
                      or maybe down in the Scented Lands near the minimum security prison) told us
                      on one occasion, instead of a specific height above ground, that they wanted
                      some extra radiant heat-shielding between the firepits and their lush green
                      turf. Most folks made do with just a square of plywood or some such on the
                      ground beneath their 'pits...but when one person didn't have such, I believe
                      it was Fleig who proposed that they take their spare (square) grill, wrap it
                      a few times around with aluminum foil, and use that as a shield. Works a
                      treat, and has the added bonus of being QUITE fire resistant, and reflects
                      any errant heat back up, where it can do some good.

                      While again, this isn't a KINGDOM rule, it's still not a bad practice,
                      especially as most Regulus-style collapsable firepits DO leak ash. it's
                      also a nice way to make sure that any tall weed-type things are kept out of
                      the potential ignition zone, without doing yard-work.

                      It's sort of ironic, because of all the many marvelous and varied things
                      Fleig keeps in that van of his (up to and including a toilet plunger),
                      aluminum foil isn't one of them.

                      Gwyn

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Yes, that was the rule at a couple of events, and it's a good general rule. No matter any height REQUIREMENT, not burning the grass is just plain good manners.