Re: [West Constables] Conformation

  • cathy blancett
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 25, 2009
      I don't know the answer but I would think we would need to know the local laws concerning it as well.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
        Ah, here we go again. :)

        If it's medicinal marijuana (in other words, they have themselves a prescription for that stuff), we need to treat it like any other controlled substance that's also a prescription medication. To wit, there is an implied responsibility for the user to maintain control OVER it and it's effects, and to use it in a responsible fashion. Which means, at the very, very least, that if some authorized to check up on that sort of thing (say, a policeman), meanders by, they had BLOODY well be able to prove they are permitted to use it. ON THEIR PERSONS. Not "Oh, well, yeah, um, it's someplace..."

        If it's NOT an -actual- prescription, it's a controlled substance, as far as I know, anywhere in the US. And the folks of law enforcement may get involved at any point. Unpleasantly. Just as they might if you saw someone engaging in other illicit substances.

        The problem is that unlike most (I'd be tempted to say *any*, but I could be wrong) other drugs, medicinal marijuana has an area effect radius. A pill, you can take, and the effects don't go wafting through your camp, or the camps next to yours. You can't smell that pill across the Eric. So, just doing it in your tent isn't necessarily enough for "out of sight (scent), out of mind".

        My personal recommendation is that if someone DOES have to use this, they ditch the parts of their costume that might get them hurt (just as I'd recommend to anyone planning to go out and get drunk), and have a friend walk them out to their car. Unlock the door, hand over the keys, enter said car, and take care of their business. A car is a much better-sealed environment than your pavillion, and not generally sourrounded by other potentially-sensitive people. It's also as a general rule a ways away from everyone else camping. And keeping your controlled substance locked in your car also makes it that much less likely that someone won't grab themselves a hit, as well.

        ****OPINION ALERT OPINION ALERT OPINION ALERT****

        What follows is STRICTLY MY OPINION. You have been warned.

        It would seem to ME that if anyone were on serious pain medications--and yes, medically prescribed marijuana qualifies--they may well wish to think very carefully before deciding to go camping with the SCA. What we do while camping is a fairly labor-intensive hobby, what with loading, unloading, and setting up/tearing down. Yes, being with our friends is very important to us, but seriously, PAIN IS THE BODY'S WARNING SYSTEM. If you hurt THAT much, should you be doing this? Sure, out friends may help with the labor involved, but if coming out to camp is going to do SUCH a number on your body that you have to chemically switch things off, you MAY want to evaluate your priorities again.

        When I discovered to my chargrin that "pandas don't fly", I ended up hurting, a lot, for most all of one camping season--and periodically for quite a while afterwards. Yes, I missed the chance to hang with my buds, as it were, but I figured it was more important to stay home when I hurt that bad to let myself heal than to make matters worse while masking the effects with chemicals. Especially since EVEN drugged up, I had to impose on my friends to do the things I couldn't.

        ***END SLIGHTLY RANTISH OPINION***

        Gwyn Chwith ap Llyr
      • Joshua Hitchcock
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
          This has to do with CA law. If it is a state park, CA law says they can smoke it with out fear of harassment. If its a federal park they can't smoke at all. If it's a private site it is up to the owner of the site to make the rules. I've heard that sometimes it has been put into contract when we rent the place. I personally say to those who have their card to go and smoke in their cars. I know of some people in the SCA have severe allergic reaction to pot smoke even in open air. But as I have said time and time again. SCA Constables are not police officers, we are just event security. If you think someone is doing something is wrong, say something. If you think you are doing something wrong. Then don't do it. Use common sense.

          Joshua J. Hitchcock
          or
          Captain Angus T. Murphy. Captain of the Gentleman’s Fortune, Grand Master of The Royal Society of Western Citizen for the Preservation of Shastan Fighting Techniques.

          -Despite the fact that my weapons and armor are in desperate need of repair, I blow the entire reward on ale and whores.
        • christiniahunter
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
            Sorry if its an unwarranted issue, the query was put to me, i read what the list had to say, and I relayed back. Maybe i wasn't reading it correctly, and that happens, it just seemed like there wasn't really a firm foundation for this hot seated issue. and rather than get someone/s in a boiling pot with the kingdom or the local authorities, I would rather just ask for a better understanding.

> [...]
            > >
            > > When I discovered to my chargrin that "pandas don't fly", I ended up hurting, a lot, for most all of one camping season--and periodically for quite a while afterwards. Yes, I missed the chance to hang with my buds, as it were, but I figured it was more important to stay home when I hurt that bad to let myself heal than to make matters worse while masking the effects with chemicals. Especially since EVEN drugged up, I had to impose on my friends to do the things I couldn't.

          • cathy blancett
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
              In my opinion the only stupid question/issue is the unasked question. I would say it is better to have the question/issue asked twice than not to have it asked at all.

> [...]

              > When I discovered to my chargrin that "pandas don't fly", I ended up hurting, a lot, for most all of one camping season--and periodically for quite a while afterwards. Yes, I missed the chance to hang with my buds, as it were, but I figured it was more important to stay home when I hurt that bad to let myself heal than to make matters worse while masking the effects with chemicals. Especially since EVEN drugged up, I had to impose on my friends to do the things I couldn't.

            • preshusbane
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                I would like to point out that pain management is not the only reason
                medical marijuana is prescribed. Some use it to combat, for instance, the
                nauseating effects of chemotherapy. If someone undergoing that feels up to
                coming out to camp, I say go for it! Enjoy life while you can! It is also
                prescribed to anorexics, HIV/AIDS patients and so many more. My point is, if
                someone has a prescription for it the reason may not be pain management.
                Please do not assume that someone using it is in so much pain they need not
                camp. Also, day trippers may need to use it while at an event and asking
                someone to stop attending SCA events altogether because of illness, be it
                chronic or acute, is a bit prejudicial.

                If you do need to smoke at an event, going to your car is a good idea.
                Another way to get around smoke bothering others is to consume your medical
                marijuana in edible form. And of course, always have your prescription on
                your person!

                -Solange
                (who kindly reminds folks to please sign your posts, not all of us know
                everyone and it is hard to learn folks names if you don't :)

                --
                An it harm none,
                Do what thou will.

              • christiniahunter
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Once again, Thank you all that have put into the discussion. You have no idea how much this has helped so that I may pass on the correct information to others.

                  IYS,

                  Capt. Amabel L. Urbana
                  Pink Fuzzy Whip.

                • say_oyez@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                    I'd like to add that smoke mitigation strategies are very much appreciated by those with severe marijuana allergies.

                    As an example, my wife's allergy is so bad that even the slightest bit on the breeze closes up her airways and does various other unpleasant things. The net result is that she can't breathe with it in the air, even in amounts that most wouldn't notice.

                    Smoke's a tricky, sneaky, tough-to-control thing, so smoking in the car, or better yet ingesting, is very much recommended and very much appreciated in view of pragmatism and for the sake of courtesy.

                    Yours humbly in service,
                    Brendan
                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    --
                    An it harm none,
                    Do what thou will.

                  • KELLEY HENRY
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                      Thank you to everyone for their input on this issue, I have spoken to the Kingdom Senechal and also the Kingdom Constable concerning this. The information has been passed on to the gentleman that had the question.

                      E'tai'n ingen Chellaig
                      CIC for Coronet

                      Kelley Henry

                      Once again, Thank you all that have put into the discussion. You have no idea how much this has helped so that I may pass on the correct information to others.

                      IYS,

                      Capt. Amabel L. Urbana
                      Pink Fuzzy Whip.

                      --- In wkconstabulary@ yahoogroups. com, cathy blancett <cathyblancett@ ...> wrote:

                      > In my opinion the only stupid question/issue is the unasked question. I would say it is better to have the question/issue asked twice than not to have it asked at all.
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    • Glenn
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                        Trust me, I'd rather it get brought up, discussed, and hashed out (if you'll pardon the expression) so that we're all working in the same direction rather than at cross-purposes.

                        Solange, you're absolutely right that of course marijuana is used for other things than for pain management. However, in my personal experience, whenever this subject has been brought up at SCA events in my hearing in the last *mumblemumble* years, it's been for pain management. Every time. And yes, the consumable form is a LOT more discreet, and I would heartily recommend that method to ANYONE who needs to use it who is going to use it on site. Not only is it discreet, and safer for those around, it's a lot more manageable, and probably more precise in dosage. It surely doesn't "Spread the joy" to those that might be next to you.

                        However, I do have to say I'm -not- being "a bit prejudicial". I said, in *my opinion*, people in bad physical circumstances *might* want to re-evaluate their priorities, that's all. We are a remarkably stubborn, foolish, and hardheaded group, as a whole, when it comes to doing the smart thing vs the thing that is more fun. I could give examples, but they tend to cause headaches as you slap your forehead and say "What were they THINKING?" In like vein, what would be your reaction to a camp setting up next to you wherein half the people were coughing and wheezing in the throes of the H1N1 flu?

                        If they were daytripping, and needed their medically-prescribed marijuana, I'd like to believe they had someone else driving them to and from the event...but I've seen too many cases where people didn't quite think things through to believe that happens all the time.

                        The problem is that SO many good things happen at SCA events that people don't want to believe that anything BAD can happen there. But we're not immune. If we were, odds are pretty good we wouldn't be in this Office we're in. We wouldn't need us.

                        Caveat: Mundanely, I work in a job where I deal, day in and day out, with a LOT of people who DON'T or didn't think things through and who now have to (or want to) get other people to bail them out. It is not impossible that this has lowered my tolerance for such.

                        --Gwyn Chwith ap Llyr

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 26, 2009
                          Exactly.Illegal is not really our concern. We are not cops, we aren;t even security guards.What is our concern is anything that is a "clear and present danger" (in which case we call the police), or is annoying our fellow attendees (in which case we can ask them to stop or leave). Now certainly, if it's something done under the flag of being an SCA sponsored thing ("The 1st annual Mists Smoke-off") then the SCA can put it's foot down. But that's the Seneschalate, not us.

                          A tent is kinda a "home" under the law. Thus, we have no business at all trying to regulate what goes on inside- unless we hear screams of murder or something (see "clear and present danger").

                          We don;t enforce traffic laws- but we do tell folks to slow down for safety and for the sake of being polite.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 27, 2009
                            I wanted to bring up a caveat to suggesting that people go smoke in their cars. As far as know if you are in a car and under the influence of a controlled substance, even if you are not driving, even if you don't have any keys on you; you can be arrested for driving under the influence.

                            I was listening to a case on the radio where a guy came out of a bar drunk and knowing this walked to his car, got into the passenger seat and went to sleep to sober up. He was latter arrested for drunk driving. I am not sure if this was a state or local statute or is state wide - but before we start telling the populous to partake in their vehicles we may want to make sure we're not suggesting that they commit a crime.

                            Your's in*sanity
                            Carrick McBrian O'Bedlam.

                            --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Hitchcock <mr_hitchcock@...> wrote:

                            > This has to do with CA law. If it is a state park, CA law says they can smoke it with out fear of harassment. If its a federal park they can't smoke at all. If it's a private site it is up to the owner of the site to make the rules. I've heard that sometimes it has been put into contract when we rent the place. I personally say to those who have their card to go and smoke in their cars. I know of some people in the SCA have severe allergic reaction to pot smoke even in open air. But as I have said time and time again. SCA Constables are not police officers, we are just event security. If you think someone is doing something is wrong, say something. If you think you are doing something wrong. Then don't do it. Use common sense.
                            >
                            > Joshua J. Hitchcock
                            > or
                            > Captain Angus T. Murphy. Captain of the Gentleman’s Fortune, Grand Master of The Royal Society of Western Citizen for the Preservation of Shastan Fighting Techniques.
                            >
                            > -Despite the fact that my weapons and armor are in desperate need of repair, I blow the entire reward on ale and whores.

                          • RowenB
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                              You where correct, its a state law with cases to back it up. If the suspect is in their vehicle with possession of their keys. Even if they are passed out they can and will be prosecuted for driving under the influence.
                              Rowan B.