Re: gate and new comers and 1st impressions

  • Kimberly Sargen
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2009
      1) I don't think the question was asked simply to see what else folks
      can have heaped on them to do at gate.
      2) yes, chatelaines have tried different things in the past, without
      a huge uptick in "success."
      3) our gate, to my mind, is visually off putting, but that's me.
      4) change is not all bad. If we can get more folks aside from
      constables to invest time and energy in manning the gate, that's all
      to the good.

      Here's my brief, pie in the sky view of things we could do to improve
      gate - for everyone.

      1) more bodies to get the work done at peak times, and ensure that
      the folks manning the gate (usually constables) can eat, pee, sleep,
      etc.
      2) Clean up the look of the thing. There's usually a table or two
      heaped with the things we need in no particular sort of order, under
      a pop up, with a variety of out of period chairs in it. If we could
      START the impression of a "period" event at gate, that would be
      fabulous. Yes, I realize this means an investment in infrastructure
      that we may not be willing to make, but we could at least work at
      covering up the worst of our sins. Table clothes, chair covers,
      etc., aren't that hard to do, and you can get money from kingdom to
      get a limited amount taken care of for the kingdom set up, which is
      what most of us are discussing.
      3) be in garb. I've seen folks sitting gate in other things, and it
      makes me sad.
      4) Happy, smiley people are a much better impression than tired,
      grumpy people. Yes, sometimes, grumpy and tired are unavoidable, but
      we need to work at it...

      Like I said, pie in the sky, but things I think are worth working
      towards.

      8)
      Veronica
    • cathyblancett
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2009
        I sort of relate it to a companies receptionist for the main entrance. If you are an employee you probably don't have much interaction with the receptionist but if you are new to the company or a visitor this is the 1st impression you have for the company.

        I posted the same question to the chatelaines group, constables group and the west peers list. I don't think it is for the constables or the chatelaines or the peers to solve individually, but for the West to solve together.

        Maybe have a joint meeting at sometime with the chatelaines, constables, peers and anyone else that is interested.

        of course this is just my thought.
        Catherine
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2009
          2- It's not just the expense, it's the getting it to the event that's a big problem.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
            And there we have a bit of a disconnect between the Constabulary, and the
            rest of our serivce brethren. As I see it, one things Constables are, and
            to a great degree need to be, is practical. Realistically, we need to be
            onsite before the Gate opens, and we have to ruthlessly process a long, and
            sometimes grumpy, line of people to get them onsite as fast as possible, and
            THEN go set up our own camps. This tends to limit the sort of Gate
            infrastructure that we're willing to engage in.

            Ther EZ-Up is probably the biggest boon to the Gate staff that's ever been
            invented. They take very little space in one's tourney vehicle. And in a
            minute, more or less literally, we can put up a rain/sun shade--which is
            great when you roll onsite less than half an hour before it's time to let
            people in. Downside? It's about as medieval-looking as my desktop
            computer. I agree, maybe some tie-on dags/banners for the sunshade, a good
            long tablecloth, and maybe sleeves for the sunshade uprights would add a lot
            to the ambiance. I know in the days when I was last a Constable with Turf
            (Cynaguan Constable), one of MY personal rules that was if you were going to
            work MY Gate, you did it in garb, even if it was just a tunic (though I
            insisted also on protective and comfortable shoes). It would be good, in my
            personal opinion, to see that pushed again. My "emergency Gate bag", the
            supplies I carry to (nearly) all events HAS a tunic that lives there in case
            I should get to site later than planned and have to be CinC. None of these
            things would greatly add to the bulk to the Gate "stuff", or add much in the
            way of time to set up, but as Veronica says, would make things look much
            better.

            Gwyn

            On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Daniel Wagner <wulfstand@...>wrote:

            > 2- It's not just the expense, it's the getting it to the event that's a big
            > problem.
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Kimberly Sargen
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
              > 2- It's not just the expense, it's the getting it to the event
              > that's a big problem.

              Bingo. But I've got ideas on how to make it less troublesome.
              Most of what we need to dress things up is fabric. Chair covers,
              table clothes, etc., can easily be made out of something lightweight,
              and small to store. Put the bits in a plastic storage bin (which
              could have it's own cover, and be storage when things get nasty rainy
              messy), and away you go. I know the reasoning behind what we
              currently have at gate - Friedrich and I did the same things for
              local constable gigs, because it's fast, easy, and small to
              transport. We just need to look at how we can take it that little
              notch further, without a lot of extra stuff.

              And, that reminds me, I need to get the "constable paperweights"
              someone suggested made. Think ceramic trivets with the badge on
              them. Nice for holding down piles of paper, and nearly
              indestructible. And, if they get broken, I can just make some new
              ones. *LOL*

              Hope that helps!

              8)
              Veronica

            • Matilda
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 15, 2009
                I have fabric, etc. that can be used for constable and chatelaine banners, baldrics, flags, etc. I've spoken to various people about making some of these items, I hope this weekend at Coronet I can talk to the appropriate officers about what is needed. I have been looking for a service project and would like to work on this.

                YIS
                Matilda FitzRichard