my page school class

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 2:10 PM
      At A&S on Saturday, I am leading a Page school class, on "Service".

      I am also asking a couple young Lords and Ladies who are still minors (altho past "page
      school" of course), but who have recently rcvd their AoA to join me as a co-instructors. Parents, if you have a teen who qualifies here, you can contact me and maybe they can join us.

      Assuming any attendance at all, what we're going to do is teach kids
      how to run clipboards at Gate. While doing so, I will lead a discussion
      on Service.

      1st- Why Service? Why should we Volunteer? The participants will each come up
      with a reason why Service is important to the Society and to each of
      us.

      2. What are the objections, or why not volunteer? Here, I'll ask the
      participants to tell me various excuses folks have for not helping- and
      then I'll ask the other participants to tell us why that objection is
      weak.

      Other than me showing (and having them do it!) how to run clipboards for Gate, I am mostly going to let
      the youngsters themselves "teach" the class, with myself as Moderator.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1 4:14 PM
        Sounds good Wulfy,  Just remember, Gate volunteers need to be able to count change ;)

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1 5:17 PM
          Well, the Gate Captain does. The clipboard runners can just hand the person behind the cashbox the cash and say how many are being paid for. <g>

          ________________________________
          Sounds good Wulfy, Just remember, Gate volunteers need to be able to count change ;)
          Sven

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2 7:13 AM
            Daniel Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:

            > Well, the Gate Captain does. The clipboard runners can just hand the person behind the cashbox the cash and say how many are being paid for. <g>

            Except it DOES make for a really good check on things to have the clipboard runner count the change back to the person/people in the car. It greatly reduces the chance we're giving back the wrong change, which means your cash drawer is more likely to be spot on.

            Gwyn
            Who really misses the days when people working at real cash registers did that as a matter of course, and who was _trained_ to do that in his own many years of retail work, dadgummit! (yes, I'm feeling old and crochety today)
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2 9:26 AM
              Certainly. But getting an influx of new Constables is worth having us cash-box sitters be extra careful for a few new trainees.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2 9:41 AM
                I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Page school.  Is there something that I missed?  Because while I am more than willing to work with young people as helpers at the gate, Not sure I'm ready to have a bunch of half pint constables running around (tongue in cheek).

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2 9:55 AM
                  We were. I am training the page schoolers to help at gate and also to encourage them to volunteer. The older kids can be a big help at gate, trust me.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2 10:50 AM
                    Maybe this is a good time to introduce a discussion on this too the list.
                    Help at the gate is always appreciated, but it also can be a detriment.  I have had too many people at the gate wanting to help and while never wanting to be rude and chase off good help, distractions lead to mistakes.  We (constables) are in-trusted with the running of the gate.  Not so in a lot of other kingdoms.  It is important for our gate counts and box money to be correct.  I would never say that you can't have a friend or two to hangout with you as box constable , But... Distractions become a problem when our gate box comes up short on cash.  I would never ever insinuate that someone stole from the box ( it has happened ) but distractions lead to counting mistakes.  The Kingdom Exchequer gets upset when the box is short.  So please, if You are in-trusted with the safe keeping and running of the box I would ask that you keep your distractions to a minimum.  Thank you
                    YIS
                    Sven Gotfriedson
                    CoW
                    Give me two hours and we all get to have a good time.