I need some clarification

  • Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus Mc Stagger
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 13 9:20 PM
      I was approached with this question last week, and I need it answered.
      There's a member who has to smoke medical marijuana in order to take
      their medications. They have a medical marijuana card and a doctor's
      note. But they're afraid that they or their encampment will be asked
      to leave the event if they are caught. I couldn't give them a direct
      answer on this. What is our rule on this issue?

      Joshua J. Hitchcock
      or
      Angus Mc Stagger.

      "You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 14 12:07 AM
        I can only say what it was. It was "don't ask don't tell". Unless folk complained about the smell, I- as High Constable- assumed the smoker had a medical purpose. But I have asked a couple to move it where others won't be bothered as courtesy is an SCA virtue.

        Wulfy

        "Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus Mc Stagger" <mr_hitchcock@...> wrote: I was approached with this question last week, and I need it answered.
        There's a member who has to smoke medical marijuana in order to take
        their medications. They have a medical marijuana card and a doctor's
        note. But they're afraid that they or their encampment will be asked
        to leave the event if they are caught. I couldn't give them a direct
        answer on this. What is our rule on this issue?

        Joshua J. Hitchcock
        or
        Angus Mc Stagger.

        "You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."

      • Larry McCoy
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 14 12:41 AM
          Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus Mc Stagger wrote:

          >I was approached with this question last week, and I need it answered.
          >There's a member who has to smoke medical marijuana in order to take
          >their medications. They have a medical marijuana card and a doctor's
          >note. But they're afraid that they or their encampment will be asked
          >to leave the event if they are caught. I couldn't give them a direct
          >answer on this. What is our rule on this issue?
          >
          >Joshua J. Hitchcock
          > or
          >Angus Mc Stagger.
          >
          >"You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."

          I'd hazard a guess here..

          Basically, if he/she has a medical card, and a note from a doctor, and
          is smoking it in his/her closed pavilion alone, , I could care less.

          However, if they are in public view, or are sharing, they get the boot.

          Sir Trelaine

        • Glenn Gorsuch
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 14 7:20 AM
            I'd toss in a line or two about courtesy, as well. Basically, it is only
            common courtesy to keep anyone else from having to deal with his medical
            issues--your smoke drifting into the next 5 camps is not keeping it to
            yourself, any more than giving yourself an insulin shot on the Eric is.
            They would definitely be advised to have those permissions on hand as
            they do what they do, too...not "Oh, well, it's at home...". Not a bad idea
            to make sure the Constable in Charge AND Chiurgeon in Charge know what's
            going on too, so we can keep our blood pressure down in advance.
            And, lastly...just a thought. If someone has medical problems such that
            they have to take such measures...for their own health and safety, they
            might want to rethink the whole notion of camping for a while. Yes, we have
            had, and no doubt will continue to have, lots of people with serious and
            debilitating conditions camping with us...and that's a wonderful testament
            to not letting bad things get you down. But sometimes it isn't *smart*.
            For instance, one Crown event where we had two women, both over eight and a
            half months pregnant, who INSISTED they *had* to be camping...luckily there
            was an excellent hospital less than 5 minutes from site. But the Chiurgeon
            in Charge was NOT a happy man--he didn't have a catcher's mitt in his kit.

            Okay, one more thing, but not on the above. Figured to hijack the post and
            save an extra email. March Crown--if you're not already aware, we're going
            to have a LOT of non-SCA folks on site...there are events scheduled on that
            fairgrounds for every day we're there...sometimes two other events at once.
            As a result, I rather expect we're going to need to maintain gate longer
            than normal, and keep a bit of an extra eye out with regard to security
            (Cattle roping thing--twice, Motocross racing, and a demolition derby).
            PLEASE hook up with Bethia for some time, because we're going to need the
            help. Oh, and Bethia, yes, I have the seed money.

            Gwyn Chwith ap Llyr

            On 3/14/07, Larry McCoy <trelaine@...> wrote:

            > Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus Mc Stagger wrote:
            >
            > >I was approached with this question last week, and I need it answered.
            > >There's a member who has to smoke medical marijuana in order to take
            > >their medications. They have a medical marijuana card and a doctor's
            > >note. But they're afraid that they or their encampment will be asked
            > >to leave the event if they are caught. I couldn't give them a direct
            > >answer on this. What is our rule on this issue?
            > >
            > >Joshua J. Hitchcock
            > > or
            > >Angus Mc Stagger.
            > >
            > >"You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."
            > >

            > I'd hazard a guess here..
            >
            > Basically, if he/she has a medical card, and a note from a doctor, and
            > is smoking it in his/her closed pavilion alone, , I could care less.
            >
            > However, if they are in public view, or are sharing, they get the boot.
            >
            > Sir Trelaine

          • Marc
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 14 8:26 AM
              Hello and long time no hear,
              I am in complete agreement with Gwen. There are other things we need
              to consider about this also. Yes, there is a state law that makes
              it "legal" to smoke marijuana if you have doctors permission. The
              problem with this is it is still federally illegal to smoke. This is
              why I have always been concerned with this entire question. So in my
              opinion, as Gwen has said, the person needing to use this for medical
              reasons should maybe think on if is a good idea to be camping in the
              first place.

              Thank you for the time and space.
              YIS
              Fearghus MacAirt

              --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus Mc

            • Sven_gotfriedson@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 14 9:05 AM
                Greetings,
                Touchy subject. I was always told that we are not police or forest rangers so it's not so much our job to "police" but to watch over our fellow SCAdians. In training I tell new constables that we don't go into people tents or pavilions if they are in a public place I.E. at their campfire then we ask them to take it off site and yes a little something about that an event really isn't the place. It's at every event and it always has been. A prescription does not change the offencivness of the oder and be polite to our neighbors is just the right thing to do. I could say more but a lot of good things have been said and I'm sure even more will be.
                My 2 cents

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 14 9:47 AM
                  Ok, normally I just sit here and read all of the post
                  and let others decide the rights or wrong of
                  something. So far, ( after 5 post ) on the subject,
                  all I have seen is people trying to be P.C. about it.
                  Here's my question, do we have an option of which
                  local, state or federal laws we enforce? Is it up to
                  the C.I.C. to decide? Let say someone is caught
                  smoking pot and they are told to keep it in the there
                  tent, they then turn around and does something stupid
                  and it comes down to" well they let me smoke on site".
                  Do we face numerous law suites? Do we lose the site?.
                  Do we lose the society. Don't think we can? Just look
                  at all the new waivers that we have " just in case"
                  something might happen.
                  How about this side of the coin, you find someone
                  smoking " medical " marijuana and tell them that they
                  can use it only in there tent. Mean while your getting
                  a wonderful contact high, which could affect your own
                  behavior. Monday morning you go to work and surprise,
                  its your name out of the hat for random drug testing
                  and you happen to fail the test and loose your job.
                  Then what. So far as I know, ( I just moved into this
                  state ), is that medicale marijuans was an " in home "
                  persciption not public, What about those people that
                  are allergic to cigarett smoke let alone marijuana
                  smoke.
                  Even the devils advocates want to know.
                  Abu

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 14 10:23 AM
                    Very Good Point Abu.

                    Daria Christinialynne

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 14 11:54 AM
                      We don't normally enforce laws at all. We are *not* Law enforcement or Police. Or job is to protect the public safety and do what is needed to make the site owners happy. We don't arrest dudes for speeding (unless the site owners have asked us to enforce speeding or unless the speeding is unfafe or rude), or for having outdated registration tags, carrying a concealed "dirk or dagger", or any of thousands of other minor code violations of CA law. In fact, we don't arrest folks at all- altho we have other sanctions. In CA, the possession of a small amount of MJ for personal use is enforced by the issuance of a citation, much like a speeding ticket.

                      And, you can't get a contact high from a breif conversation with a toker in the open.

                      Constables are not Cops.

                      Wulfy

                      Mark Eldred <michaelrodelli@...> wrote: Ok, normally I just sit here and read all of the post
                      and let others decide the rights or wrong of
                      something. So far, ( after 5 post ) on the subject,
                      all I have seen is people trying to be P.C. about it.
                      Here's my question, do we have an option of which
                      local, state or federal laws we enforce? Is it up to
                      the C.I.C. to decide?
                      How about this side of the coin, you find someone
                      smoking " medical " marijuana and tell them that they
                      can use it only in there tent. Mean while your getting
                      a wonderful contact high, which could affect your own
                      behavior.
                      Even the devils advocates want to know.
                      Abu

                    • Brendan McNeill O'Neill
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 14 12:50 PM
                        Greetings good gentles all,

                        I feel as though I should add another consideration here:

                        There are those who are -- literally -- mortally allergic to marijuana (I'm married to one). A tiny amount in the air makes breathing dificult at best. More can be genuinely life threatening (and scary to watch, by the way).

                        As has already been pointed out, smoke carries/drifts. I also recognize that we can't control for every little thing to which people are allergic.

                        In a case like this though, it's a little harder than steering clear of bumblebees that one may be mortally allergic to. If there's a shift in the wind, it's ridiculously hard to avoid in a timely, effective fashion unless you're steps away from a car to make good your escape. Buildings are only useful if they don't vent in air from outside. Pavilions necessarily don't do an adequate job of keeping it out (or in) if one is close to the scource.

                        In fairness, I only recall our having had relatively minor problems at events, beacause (I guess) most who smoke it do so in out-of-the way locales that she accordingly steers clear of. That only partially reduces my personal concern, because it can still ruin the next day or so for someone.

                        I don't want to step on someone else, but I do need to speak up for those with (unfortunate) conflicting health considerations. I don't have a proposed solution for this, but it seems as though it should be entered in the discussion.

                        En Sevicio Societatis,
                        Brendan McNeill O'Neill

                        "Vert, three escutcheons Or."

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 14 2:28 PM
                          What I’m going to tell them is what California law
                          says. You make smoke in your house or in your car.
                          But not at event due to the open-air law. If they need
                          to take their medication, they can smoke inside their
                          vehicle if the engine is off and the keys are not in
                          the ignition. Because our events are held in public
                          places and there is a chance the police or landowner
                          can kick us out without any warning. I’m sorry to
                          disturb all of you with this question. Good day to you
                          all.

                          Joshua J. Hitchcock
                          or
                          Angus Mc Stagger.

                          http://www.myspace.com/mr_hitchcock

                          "You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."

                          Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                          http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
                        • Glenn Gorsuch
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 14 4:40 PM
                            Mr. Hitchcock...or good Angus, take your pick...don't you DARE apologize for
                            your question. Not even for a moment. It's a valid question, it's one I
                            think we all have reason to be interested in the answer to, and very, very
                            on-topic for us all. And it's not like this list, of late, has been
                            o'er-burdened with traffic.

                            Heh. Unlike SOME SCA forums, this one as been delightfully apt, flame-free,
                            and informative. And, speaking entirely for myself, I think in your last
                            post you hit on a perfectly good solution.

                            No, we're not the police, thank heavens. We don't get paid enough for
                            that. And if we're required to be such, then we're responsible to stay
                            such--and I'd just not want to slide down that slope. That said, we ARE
                            responsible to our fellows...which is why we're Constables, and not some
                            other office. Those fellows include those who have a need to use
                            marijuana...and those that get violently ill from it, as well as those
                            people who own the site we use.

                            California law permits people to use marijuana to use this controlled
                            substance in their homes with a perscription (Anyone who wants to debate the
                            -appropriateness- of this rule will be cheerfully ignored by me). One might
                            point out that some significant fraction of our West events take place
                            outside the boundaries of California, and that a traveller would be
                            well-advised to know the laws of the place you're in. I seem to recall that
                            there was recently a man with one of those medical perscriptions who lit up
                            (in a smoking-allowed) hotel room in Nevada, and was fined big time for it.
                            The judgement was later upheld when appealed. One might, if one's a lawyer,
                            try to argue that under California Penal Code such-and-so, an inhabited tent
                            counts as a home. I'd just point out that legal or not, if the local police
                            show up, and they do, they STILL can choose to cite you, and let the courts
                            deal with it later, thus ruining your event, and probably for days
                            afterwards.

                            Just as someone who must take injections of insulin is responsible for their
                            needles and other bio-wastes--I'd think a medical marijuana user is
                            responsible to make sure his "Stuff" doesn't end up being someone else's
                            problem. Smoking in one's tent is no guarantee of that. I think Angus'
                            suggestion about using one's car, out in the parking lot, is a far more
                            reliable solution--not least of which because parking is usually well away
                            from camp. They'd still best have their paperwork on hand, however. Just
                            as when we remind people that noise doesn't care about lines on a map, smoke
                            goes where the wind takes it. Last Ducal there was "that smell", during the
                            Auction...and given the way the wind was blowing, it's entirely possible
                            that came in from offsite...or in any of a dozen camps in that direction.

                            Truthfully, it's not been as much of a problem as one might think. I've
                            personally only been alerted about it twice in oh, about 15 years. Okay,
                            maybe one more time, but that third didn't involve an SCA-er--it was a pair
                            of local jokers who wanted to come on site to sell their "really good stuff,
                            man"...they couldn't seem to figure out how we'd manage to pick them out of
                            the crowd if they managed to sneak in...what a pity that when they drove
                            away in a huff I had a clear view of their licence plate and a land-line
                            phone at hand...

                            So, Angus, GOOD question, and a good solution as well!

                            Gwyn, recycled Constable

                            (Much snippage)

                            >>>What I'm going to tell them is what California law
                            says. You make smoke in your house or in your car.
                            But not at event due to the open-air law. If they need
                            to take their medication, they can smoke inside their
                            vehicle if the engine is off and the keys are not in
                            the ignition. Because our events are held in public
                            places and there is a chance the police or landowner
                            can kick us out without any warning. I'm sorry to
                            disturb all of you with this question. Good day to you
                            all.

                            Joshua J. Hitchcock
                            or
                            Angus Mc Stagger<<<

                          • Abu
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 14 5:10 PM
                              I would have to agree with Glen on this one. Anything in question
                              needs to be brought up for discussion. This is by far the best
                              discussion about anything I've read in a long time. Is'nt that what
                              this group is for? I for one thank Angus for bringing up the topic,
                              stuff like this needs to be brought out into the open so that it can
                              be talked about. I am sure that there are constables out there that
                              my have wondered about this and wanted to know what to do but was
                              afried of the " Stupid question" gardage that happens, the "I know
                              the anwser there for every one knows" mentality. This is were we can
                              get the anwsers to questions that have not come up yet. This is afer
                              all a discussion group.
                              Abu
                              --- In

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 14 9:16 PM
                                Thanks Gywn.
                                Yes please I will need help.

                                As for the smoking I think the only place I would turn my back on would be the car.
                                I really do not want it in our sites. I am allergic!!!
                                Besides does anyone know how to tell the difference between a real prescription and joe blow making one up to smoke illegally!
                                If someone causes a problem about it call the police and let them handle it. I would rather error on the side of legal than illegal.
                                Bethia

> [...]

                                > Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus Mc Stagger wrote:
                                >
                                > >I was approached with this question last week, and I need it answered.
                                > >There's a member who has to smoke medical marijuana in order to take
                                > >their medications. They have a medical marijuana card and a doctor's
                                > >note. But they're afraid that they or their encampment will be asked
                                > >to leave the event if they are caught. I couldn't give them a direct
                                > >answer on this. What is our rule on this issue?
                                > >
                                > >Joshua J. Hitchcock
                                > > or
                                > >Angus Mc Stagger.
                                > >
                                > >"You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."
                                > >

                                > I'd hazard a guess here..
                                >
                                > Basically, if he/she has a medical card, and a note from a doctor, and
                                > is smoking it in his/her closed pavilion alone, , I could care less.
                                >
                                > However, if they are in public view, or are sharing, they get the boot.

                                What do you mean rice can't be plaid? And no my food is not molesting you, it's just friendly.

                                In Service
                                Lady Bethia

                              • aliofthealiness
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 14 10:56 PM
                                  I just wanted to put in my two cents here. As for the whole "well
                                  maybe you shouldn't be camping" thing, I know alot of people with
                                  their cards who take it for quality of life just as someone who
                                  takes vicodin everyday would. I also understand how some people are
                                  deathly allergic to smoke and I as most smokers I know are courteous
                                  to those around them. While we are not the police and don't "arrest"
                                  people and the law does state with a card you can smoke it your car
                                  or home and not publicly, I would think that the expectation of
                                  privacy would transfer over to ones personal tent or pavillion.
                                  Sorry if you wanted to end this topic Mcstagger but I find it a very
                                  good debate.

                                  -Ali/Alianora Of Prymrose/Ali Fighter Of Ninjas

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 15 2:24 AM
                                    OK, amendment time. this was read over by my fiance and i was advised
                                    to say that by smoker i was referencing cigarettes and the cigarette
                                    smoke.

                                    -Ali/Alianora Of Prymrose/Ali Fighter Of Ninjas

                                    --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, "aliofthealiness"

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 15 7:41 AM
                                      Ali...

                                      When I shattered my heel a few years ago (yes, Abu, Auntie, I know, Pandas
                                      don't fly!), I made the difficult decision that for a while, *I* shouldn't
                                      be doing that much camping. It's important to remember that what we do here
                                      is only a PART of our lives (no, it's not *just* a game, but I don't think
                                      too many folks have died for lack of SCA contact). If I was in enough pain
                                      that I needed a morphine drip to stay functional, should I be camping? I
                                      would sincerely hope that if someone had -that- much of a health issue,
                                      they'd carefully consider what they should and shouldn't be doing...as well
                                      as what their attendance means to those around them. I mean, I *could* have
                                      made it to more events. I wouldn't have been able to set up my own portion
                                      of camp, I wouldn't have been able to help much in the kitchen, and...I
                                      wouldn't have been able to do diddly for the Constabulary, as it happens.
                                      So I limited my participation until I COULD participate safely and
                                      healthily...since in my mind, the SCA isn't a spectator sport. I didn't
                                      want to "force" my friends and family to accomodate me, even though I knew
                                      they would.

                                      That said, I do admire those who don't let personal adversity drive them
                                      under. I'll gladly take a hand if asked to help push someone's wheelchair
                                      around an event, or help out with getting a pavillion set up. But to
                                      paraphrase something that someone I admire once said, "You don't have the
                                      right to force *your* SCA event on someone else." I shouldn't have to deal
                                      with someone's marijuana any more than you should be *compelled* to sit with
                                      me and study early Welsh period cooking techniques and foodstuffs in our
                                      camp kitchen (but do stop by if you're interested!).

                                      As to the expectation of privacy in one's tent...would that it were so...but
                                      it isn't. We camp in a world of nylon and canvas...and those aren't going
                                      to do a thing to stop smoke from drifting. Especially since, at most
                                      events, we're ALL rather close neighbors. Your car is able to be sealed
                                      nearly air-tight, and your home has the same capacity...along with space
                                      between it and those living near you. Your tent? Not so much. It's much
                                      the same thing with noises from one's tent. Do you really have the
                                      expectation of privacy when you utter those screams of rapturous delight
                                      with your partner's prowess, while camping at an event? (yes, I'm grinning.
                                      Hugh, Kellyn, cue up Silhouettes, please :)).

                                      And just to add a little more fuel to the smoking fire...another current
                                      court case. Californian woman, with marijuana perscription. According to
                                      medical testimony, she'll *die* without it. She's been convicted in a
                                      FEDERAL court for drug possession...and the case is currently working its
                                      way up the appeals ladder. And yes, she was IN the State when accused. So,
                                      please pardon the pun, but remember, at this time, California law is NOT the
                                      highest in the land...

                                      Gwyn

                                      On 3/14/07, aliofthealiness <achrutherford@...> wrote:

                                      > I just wanted to put in my two cents here. As for the whole "well
                                      > maybe you shouldn't be camping" thing, I know alot of people with
                                      > their cards who take it for quality of life just as someone who
                                      > takes vicodin everyday would. I also understand how some people are
                                      > deathly allergic to smoke and I as most smokers I know are courteous
                                      > to those around them. While we are not the police and don't "arrest"
                                      > people and the law does state with a card you can smoke it your car
                                      > or home and not publicly, I would think that the expectation of
                                      > privacy would transfer over to ones personal tent or pavillion.
                                      > Sorry if you wanted to end this topic Mcstagger but I find it a very
                                      > good debate.
                                      >
                                      > -Ali/Alianora Of Prymrose/Ali Fighter Of Ninjas
                                      >
                                      > --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com <wkconstabulary%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > "Joshua J. Hitchcock or Angus
                                      > Mc Stagger" <mr_hitchcock@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I was approached with this question last week, and I need it
                                      > answered.
                                      > > There's a member who has to smoke medical marijuana in order to
                                      > take
                                      > > their medications. They have a medical marijuana card and a
                                      > doctor's
                                      > > note. But they're afraid that they or their encampment will be
                                      > asked
                                      > > to leave the event if they are caught. I couldn't give them a
                                      > direct
                                      > > answer on this. What is our rule on this issue?
                                      > >
                                      > > Joshua J. Hitchcock
                                      > > or
                                      > > Angus Mc Stagger.
                                      > >
                                      > > "You try making up a good song when you're an illiterate drunkard."

                                    • Adam
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 17 12:05 AM
                                        there are different types of pain in this world, the severe pain
                                        caused by injury and the pain caused by conditions and things that
                                        cant be helped, lets say i had a chronic pain condition, would that
                                        mean i shouldn't play at all? my apologies if that sounded rude or
                                        scathing it was not meant as such, and i am in no way disagreeing with
                                        the "in the car" idea, but the idea that a person should stop doing
                                        something that they love.

                                        adam