Re: [West Constables] Good morning, cousins!

  • Sven_gotfriedson@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
      Hello Bethia, I have some markers for the board. as far as you being stuck at gate this weekend, I have every intention of working gate. I was planning on takeing the late shift so that you can take care of the other stuff. The CiC should never be tied to the gate. at least not for very long. We are there for you and will make sure you are well hydrated. I talk to Sil and she in planning watch gate for most of Sat. ("Her contribution to the Constable of the West:") she says. :0)
      Anyway dont you worry about anything we're all there for you. By the way Is MacStager going to bee at this event? I have alot of lost and found.
      Yours in Service always
      Sven Gotfriedson
      Constable of Cynagua

      From: Susan Burch-Williamson <lady_bethia@...>

      Here is a tidbit for you when the west has had someone run off with the money it has been a seneschal in one case and an exchequer in another.

      If some one is not on the magic list just contact me or the Principality constables we can say yeah or nay for the individuals. If the local exchequer/seneschal says the person is ok with them then it is fine.

      It sounds bad but we will just keep doing what we have been doing for the most part.
      If you have any more questions I will be chain to the gate all weekend;-) And bring ice for me when you come visit. heeheehee
      Bethia

      Glenn Gorsuch <ggorsuch@...> wrote:
      Ok, you'll probably want to resend that to the group, since I just sent my reply to you only, as is this one. Wrangling should be private.

      And since this IS just between us, what in the Knowne World is going on with that policy??? Have the Kingdom Officers gone insane?

      Yes, I can understand the need to restrict access to the cashbox--hence the previous policy of having only rostered constables sitting cashbox, no matter who else helps out. This is fine, this is dandy--it's part of our job. And when need arose, on a case by case basis, we could circumvent that. But this comes across STRONGLY as "We don't trust you--we want only our handpicked people doing this sort of thing."

      Frankly, if they WANT the "power" of controlling access to the cashbox, then LET the Exchequer find their own staff and volunteers. They should, in all fairness, also take over hauling the cashbox to and from events, getting to site early enough to help set up and run the Gate, and find their own staff for collecting money and making change. What's that? You think they don't want to do all that? No kidding! But hey, with great power...well, tell Kiriana to go read Spider-Man comic books. Hey, and the Senschals can take back getting people signed in, and we'd ALL have more time to enjoy the event, rather than being out there in all sort of weather being exiles. Yes, it's sarcasm.

      Now, besides the emotionalism above, WHY is this a bad idea? Already, at anything above a local event, we have an incredibly difficult time finding enough volunteers to man the cashbox and run the gate at overnight events. This is going to make it, most definitely, WORSE. The poor schmo who gets stuck sitting cashbox is going to be there--not for a two, or maybe a four hour shift, but for MUCH longer while the CinC tries desperately to find someone who has completed this extra magic piece of paper, who has passed whatever scrutiny the Kingdom Exchequer has imposed...and who is actually WILLING to volunteer--knowing in advance that if they do, they're going to lose a BIG chunk of their event--for which they had the priviledge of paying money, time, and effort. And is there going to be some magic "list" available, updated constantly, so whoever the CinC is, can check and make sure they're "approved"? Wait, what do you do if your CinC isn't on the magic list? Or,
      gosh, no one willing to volunteer n that list on site at all? Oh, dear. Pft. Realistically, this magic list will NEVER be up to date and don't believe anyone who tells you it will be. MAYBE, if the positions were involved were paid, but certainly not in a volunteer organization.

      Per Sven, any Seneschals and Exchequers are also automatically on this magic list--which strikes me as rank foolishness. The Exchequer of the Canton of Nowhere, who got his job because he was on a beer run when he was elected in absentia can just walk up and say "Hi, I'm an exchequer, gimme the cashbox?" How do WE know who the exchequers and seneschals are? No one wears badges that say so. And what does this do to the hardworking local and at-large Constables, who aren't on this list? "Hey, we like you, and trust your judgement enough to help ensure the safety of hundreds (or thousands) of people, and deal with delicate situations like domestic violence, but you can't sit behind the cashbox and make change. Sorry." Yeah, I want to work for an organization like THAT. Built in inferiority complex, waiting to happen.

      Another tidbit from Sven--he thinks this policy stems from changes in Society and West Policy that we've only now decided to "enforce". Uh, I just spent some time reading through the West and Society's financial and cash handling policies, and the ONLY things it has to say about cashboxes and Gate are: One, the person ultimately responsible for the cashbox at an event MUST be over 16, and Two, must also be a member, even if the site owner wants to have oversight of the entry fees. That's it. Since we don't roster kids, and since to BE an active constable, you have to be a member, I'd say we fulfilled those requirements already.

      Let me point another thing out, if I might. Under this system, by completing one of these rosters for the Exchequer, we fall under their purview. And under the brand new Administrative Sanction Policy, that means if they (meaning a "more senior" Exchequer) doesn't like our performance, they HAVE THE POWER TO FORCE US OUT OF OFFICE FOR THE DURATION OF THEIR TENURE AS EXCHEQUER. There IS a reason that the offices are separate, and this is part of it. Separation of responsibility makes for a smaller chance that Group X is going to seize control of the larger whole. And if you think this wouldn't happen in your SCA, then I'd advise you to take another look at human behavior. Further, I've had the experience of knowing and working with both Seneschals and Exchequers that were less trustworthy than any person I've signed a warrant for. I'm not sure I like the idea of one office being responsible for collecting funds and comparing them to what they "Should" be, accounting
      for them, and being the primary people who have access to those funds.

      You say that you and Kiriana are working to make this as "Smooth" as possible. Uh, since the general run of the Constabulary (much less the populace) hasn't even heard about this yet, I have to wonder if the "smoothing" process isn't anything more than a steamroller approach--hold off on telling most people, get a few key people in place for a while, and announcing a fait accompli by telling everyone it's been this way for months, now, so deal with it. When was this thought up? Do you really expect to have it in effect at June Crown?

      I'll finish this off with a bit of history, which is appropriate for a historical group. Time was, the Constabulary had been a deputy office of the Senschalate. But it was eventually realized that by forming their own greater office, the Constabulary were able to do their varied jobs better--which is why we're still a greater office, that doesn't have to answer to a superior whole office everytime you want to sneeze. If somehow, the Exchequer warrants are "better" than ours, then fine, perhaps we should look into changing our warrant process. However, if you find that the people who are being warranted aren't worthy of the trust already accorded them, why are they still warranted? Why were they warranted to begin with?

      This isn't a bother. It's a disaster in the making that could easily destroy this office. However, I'm waiting to be convinced that this is a good, or even necessary step to take.

      Baron Gwyn Chwith ap Llyr, Senior Constable for 10+ years, Principality and Kingdom Constable for 3 years each.

      On 6/21/06, Susan Burch-Williamson <lady_bethia@... > wrote: Yep. I will need you to fill out an exchequer warrant form I have and I turn it in to Kirianna as one of my trusted people.
      Sorry guys it is a bother but Kirianna and I are doing things to try to make this smooth.
      So everyone who is going to Crown that is a senior constable or lesser constable that has worked box for years come see me. I am CiC.
      Bethia

      Glenn Gorsuch <ggorsuch@...> wrote:

      Sorry, Alembics of any sort are security level Indigo. Your clearance is Green. To upgrade your security clearance, please report to the nuclear reactor shielding processing station immediately. Thank you!

      --the Computer

      Say, Bethia....what's this I hear rumors of a "Cash box-specific warrant"???? From what I hear, this is quite possibly the worst idea to hit the Constabulary since I was approached by a couple of people who wanted to do a fire-juggling and -breathing demo at the van Vleck ranch in mid-summer.

      Gwyn

      What do you mean rice can't be plaid? And no my food is not molesting you, it's just friendly.

      In Service
      Lady Bethia

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
        Sorry Bethia,

        I'm barely going to this event as it is. Hay field and Allergies don't
        mix. I'll be daytripping this one. And even then I don't know how long
        I'm staying.

        Francisco

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
          > Sorry Bethia,
          >
          > I'm barely going to this event as it is. Hay field and Allergies don't
          > mix. I'll be daytripping this one. And even then I don't know how long
          > I'm staying.
          >
          > Francisco

          Sorry I will be missing the event for the same reasons stated by Francisco:(

          Hugs

          Hobbit
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 23, 2006
            Yeah, I'll be doped to the gills on allergy meds, so me handling money=
            not a good idea.

            Francisco