Re: [West Constables] Fire Pit Regs

  • Baccus Kaloethes
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
      LOL Grass being killed from the heat at Estrella. What grass....

      Baccus - still getting the Estrella dust beaten out of his shield...

      atensheriff@... wrote:

      I don't know where it originated for your unwritten rules, but the 18"
      minimum
      above ground rule has been part of the Estrella War regs for years.

      Reduces the risk of the grass being killed from the heat.

      Maybe it was just picked up from there.

      yehudah

      Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval time dinner and tournament

    • John Groseclose
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
        At 8:38 AM -0700 6/1/06, Baccus Kaloethes wrote:
        >LOL Grass being killed from the heat at Estrella. What grass....

        The rules predate the broken sprinkler system.

        Iain
        --
        Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
        Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
          Willeam wrote:

          > Greetings! From what I understand, the only requirement is that
          > it be "raised" off the ground, and that grass, weeds, brush, what
          > have you, be beaten down under the pit. I think there is only
          > one sight that we use that has its own requirement of fire pits
          > being 18" off the ground.

          As others have pointed out, the 18" rule is not in Kingdom policy. It was
          (and probably still is) a requirement for Rancho Seco Recreation Area, and
          Bethia correctly notes that there were other times and places, notably
          during seasons of high fire danger, when park rangers insisted on this as a
          condition of using fires at their sites. Those who have had their first
          events at Rancho Seco can be forgiven for assuming that the 18" rule was a
          Kingdom one, but it was their rule, not ours.

          By the way, Yehudah, the Estrella War policy is 12", not 16". I just got
          that off their web page.

          And Anastacia wrote:

          > Reason 2 - is very selfish but still valid...as Christophe
          > pointed out many
          > of us have fire pits that are not adjustable and we would have to replace
          > them in order to have a fire. If it's not broken don't fix it!

          Well, the Flieg-designed firepits (aka Iron Castle, aka Regulus, aka
          Dragonwing) don't need to be replaced. They just need some leg extenders
          consisting of three 1/2" diameter pipes, each 24" long, easily made from EMT
          thinwall conduit or available from Dragonwing for $10.00 per set.

          Details are found in the owner's manual for the model Dragonwing sells:

          http://midtown.net/dragonwing/firptom.htm

          If Auntie's firepit isn't one of those, I'm sure that there are some clever
          lads in Dark Claw who can figure out another method to elevate it.

          As for reason 1 (that a higher firepit is more susceptible to wind-blown
          sparks), Anastacia makes a good point. Presumably the park rangers are more
          concerned with heat radiation to the ground than they were about sparks,
          which is probably because their experience has been more with charcoal
          grills than firepits, and well-watered grass is more likely to be damaged by
          scorching than by sparks. But I suggest that if it's that windy, it's better
          to put out the fire or put up a windbreak than rely on the 10" reduction in
          elevation. That's what I do.

          Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
            Yeah Baccus. Good point. <chuckle>

            yehudah

            \LOL Grass being killed from the heat at Estrella. What grass....