Fire Pit Regs

  • Sven_gotfriedson@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2006
      Greetings all,
      I have a question on fire pit height. I am ashamed to say this but, I had actually never read thru the fire pit reg's. I mean I know the the safety rules that we enforce but it was brought to my attention that the part about the pit having to be 18" off the ground is not mention in our handbook or on the West kingdom web-site. I had just always assumed that the regulation was there. I mean it has been beaten in to my brain since I started training to be a constable in the west. Where did the 18" rule come from and why is it not in the handbook. Is it more of a suggestion or is it really a requirement?

    • Willeam (Aros) Grenetrewis
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2006
        Greetings! From what I understand, the only requirement is that it be "raised" off the ground, and that grass, weeds, brush, what have you, be beaten down under the pit. I think there is only one sight that we use that has its own requirement of fire pits being 18" off the ground. Bethia, can you elaborate on this?

        YIS,

        Willeam "Aros" Grenetrewis

        Sven_gotfriedson@... wrote: Greetings all,
        I have a question on fire pit height. I am ashamed to say this but, I had actually never read thru the fire pit reg's. I mean I know the the safety rules that we enforce but it was brought to my attention that the part about the pit having to be 18" off the ground is not mention in our handbook or on the West kingdom web-site. I had just always assumed that the regulation was there. I mean it has been beaten in to my brain since I started training to be a constable in the west. Where did the 18" rule come from and why is it not in the handbook. Is it more of a suggestion or is it really a requirement?

        Sven

        "So may we eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may all die!"

        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2006
          Y'know, I think that may be one of those things that "everyone knows" even
          if it's not true. I've heard the 18" rule, too, and had taken it as gospel
          that it was in the rules, even though I've read those fire regs (and
          published them in various newsletters, both as Constable and as
          Chronicler) I don't know how many times.

          Honestly, though, I think it'd be a good rumor to let die. One of the
          meta-rules (rules *about* other rules) out there is, "never make a rule
          that you *know* won't be followed, it does nothing but weaken the rest of
          the rules." Considering the facts that A) 95% of the fire pits out there
          do *not* adhere to the 18" "rule" and B) that we'd have to force almost
          everyone to either retro-fit their pit or buy new ones in order to adhere
          to this, and C) that it doesn't really increase safety, as long as the
          rest of the fire regs are followed, it seems to me that this one would be
          better off left alone.

          Just my two centimes,
          Christophe

        • hobbit@gigo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2006
            > Greetings! From what I understand, the only requirement is that it be
            > "raised" off the ground, and that grass, weeds, brush, what have you, be
            > beaten down under the pit. I think there is only one sight that we use
            > that has its own requirement of fire pits being 18" off the ground.
            > Bethia, can you elaborate on this?
            >
            > YIS,

            From what I remember someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure:) Is
            that the the CDF and other Firefighters make the suggestion of 18 inches
            off the ground. I too Thought it was in the hand book and part of the
            regs because it was also drummed into me when I first started as a
            constable ...and even before when I first got my Firepit 15 years ago.....
            Regulas (who made my firepit) did not make them 18 inches off the ground
            but one of the other merchants made and sold Extenders so that you could
            add them to your firepit (the were like $5) I've used them since the day
            we bought our firepit. (as an aside Regulas apoligised for our pit not
            being leagal without the addition)

            Hugs

            Danaë aka Hobbit
          • Sven_gotfriedson@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31, 2006
              I can can agree with letting it die. I have noticed that there are a lot of fire pits out there that didn't quite make the 18"'s but most of them do have lips that are are 18" off the ground so I never made a case about it. Now if the fire pit did look unsafe than I would remind them about it but I never made anyone put out a fire for the the 18" "rule"

              From: "Christophe d'Avignon" <christophe@...>
              Y'know, I think that may be one of those things that "everyone knows" even
              if it's not true. I've heard the 18" rule, too, and had taken it as gospel
              that it was in the rules, even though I've read those fire regs (and
              published them in various newsletters, both as Constable and as
              Chronicler) I don't know how many times.

              Honestly, though, I think it'd be a good rumor to let die. One of the
              meta-rules (rules *about* other rules) out there is, "never make a rule
              that you *know* won't be followed, it does nothing but weaken the rest of
              the rules." Considering the facts that A) 95% of the fire pits out there
              do *not* adhere to the 18" "rule" and B) that we'd have to force almost
              everyone to either retro-fit their pit or buy new ones in order to adhere
              to this, and C) that it doesn't really increase safety, as long as the
              rest of the fire regs are followed, it seems to me that this one would be
              better off left alone.

              Just my two centimes,
              Christophe

              > Greetings all,
              > I have a question on fire pit height. I am ashamed to say this but, I
              > had actually never read thru the fire pit reg's. I mean I know the the
              > safety rules that we enforce but it was brought to my attention that the
              > part about the pit having to be 18" off the ground is not mention in our
              > handbook or on the West kingdom web-site. I had just always assumed
              > that the regulation was there. I mean it has been beaten in to my brain
              > since I started training to be a constable in the west. Where did the
              > 18" rule come from and why is it not in the handbook. Is it more of a
              > suggestion or is it really a requirement?
              >
              > Sven

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "wkconstabulary" on the web.

            • Baccus Kaloethes
              Message 6 of 15 , May 31, 2006
                I've had several light weight run ins with welling
                meaning uninformed folk insisting to others that the
                18" rule was in fact regulations. First off, the fire
                policy is a policy not a regulation nor a rule...it
                only says no ground fires.

                I agree with Christophe, we need to let this one die a
                timely death and go quietly into the archives of
                urbane legends....

                Baccus

                --- Sven_gotfriedson@... wrote:

                > Greetings all,
                > I have a question on fire pit height. I am ashamed
                > to say this but, I had actually never read thru the
                > fire pit reg's. I mean I know the the safety rules
                > that we enforce but it was brought to my attention
                > that the part about the pit having to be 18" off the
                > ground is not mention in our handbook or on the West
                > kingdom web-site. I had just always assumed that
                > the regulation was there. I mean it has been beaten
                > in to my brain since I started training to be a
                > constable in the west. Where did the 18" rule come
                > from and why is it not in the handbook. Is it more
                > of a suggestion or is it really a requirement?
                >
                > Sven

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • anastacia
                Message 7 of 15 , May 31, 2006
                  Nope ther wasn't a height requirement at all just off the ground in my
                  experience of nearly 20 years in and 18 of them as a constable and I can't
                  see any advantage to the height requirement.

                  I, for one am, against an 18 inch height requirement for fire pits...for
                  two reasons. One the fire pit height at 18 inches puts it so far off the
                  ground the the wind will not be blocked very well by people sitting around
                  it as witnessed at 30 yr. when this height was enforced as a temporary
                  measure. Sparks flew off in much greater amounts because the wind was not
                  blocked by chairs and bodies.

                  Reason 2 - is very selfish but still valid...as Christophe pointed out many
                  of us have fire pits that are not adjustable and we would have to replace
                  them in order to have a fire. If it's not broken don't fix it!

                  Yours in service,

                  Anastacia - constable at large - Cynagua

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 31, 2006
                    My 2 cents then I'm going to let it die too.

                    My feeling on the subject is if there is a way to extinguish the fire, and a person tending the firepit at all times that it is being used. Then I really don't care how tall it is. However, we must abide by the facilities rules and regulations for the fire pits, if the site needs them to be 18" above the ground, then I will enforce it.

                    Francisco

                    I can can agree with letting it die. I have noticed that there are a lot of fire pits out there that didn't quite make the 18"'s but most of them do have lips that are are 18" off the ground so I never made a case about it. Now if the fire pit did look unsafe than I would remind them about it but I never made anyone put out a fire for the the 18" "rule" Sven

                    From: "Christophe d'Avignon" <christophe@...>

                  • atensheriff@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 31, 2006
                      I don't know where it originated for your unwritten rules, but the 18"
                      minimum
                      above ground rule has been part of the Estrella War regs for years.

                      Reduces the risk of the grass being killed from the heat.

                      Maybe it was just picked up from there.

                      yehudah

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 31, 2006
                        We were enforcing 18" when we were in drought conditions back in the mid 90's.
                        But the rules n ever were changed on the offical regs.
                        Bethia

                        "Willeam (Aros) Grenetrewis" <arosofthegreenpants@...> wrote:
[...]

                        Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval time dinner and tournament

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 31, 2006
                          Did I get a volunteer for CiC for June Crown earlier this spring or was it my imagination?
                          I need to know if it is me or not.

                          I am doing Purg.
                          In Service

                        • Baccus Kaloethes

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
                              At 8:38 AM -0700 6/1/06, Baccus Kaloethes wrote:
                              >LOL Grass being killed from the heat at Estrella. What grass....

                              The rules predate the broken sprinkler system.

                              Iain
                              --
                              Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
                              Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
                                Willeam wrote:

                                > Greetings! From what I understand, the only requirement is that
                                > it be "raised" off the ground, and that grass, weeds, brush, what
                                > have you, be beaten down under the pit. I think there is only
                                > one sight that we use that has its own requirement of fire pits
                                > being 18" off the ground.

                                As others have pointed out, the 18" rule is not in Kingdom policy. It was
                                (and probably still is) a requirement for Rancho Seco Recreation Area, and
                                Bethia correctly notes that there were other times and places, notably
                                during seasons of high fire danger, when park rangers insisted on this as a
                                condition of using fires at their sites. Those who have had their first
                                events at Rancho Seco can be forgiven for assuming that the 18" rule was a
                                Kingdom one, but it was their rule, not ours.

                                By the way, Yehudah, the Estrella War policy is 12", not 16". I just got
                                that off their web page.

                                And Anastacia wrote:

                                > Reason 2 - is very selfish but still valid...as Christophe
                                > pointed out many
                                > of us have fire pits that are not adjustable and we would have to replace
                                > them in order to have a fire. If it's not broken don't fix it!

                                Well, the Flieg-designed firepits (aka Iron Castle, aka Regulus, aka
                                Dragonwing) don't need to be replaced. They just need some leg extenders
                                consisting of three 1/2" diameter pipes, each 24" long, easily made from EMT
                                thinwall conduit or available from Dragonwing for $10.00 per set.

                                Details are found in the owner's manual for the model Dragonwing sells:

                                http://midtown.net/dragonwing/firptom.htm

                                If Auntie's firepit isn't one of those, I'm sure that there are some clever
                                lads in Dark Claw who can figure out another method to elevate it.

                                As for reason 1 (that a higher firepit is more susceptible to wind-blown
                                sparks), Anastacia makes a good point. Presumably the park rangers are more
                                concerned with heat radiation to the ground than they were about sparks,
                                which is probably because their experience has been more with charcoal
                                grills than firepits, and well-watered grass is more likely to be damaged by
                                scorching than by sparks. But I suggest that if it's that windy, it's better
                                to put out the fire or put up a windbreak than rely on the 10" reduction in
                                elevation. That's what I do.

                                Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 1, 2006
                                  Yeah Baccus. Good point. <chuckle>

                                  yehudah

                                  \LOL Grass being killed from the heat at Estrella. What grass....