the constabulary and its purpose in life

  • ladyarabella@succeed.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2006
      I have been reading the current brouhaha with much trepidation, and I don't
      like the direction it is taking the constabulary as a whole. We are, more
      and more, being asked to do the jobs of mundane security officers, (not
      the police, but hired security) and that is not what I joined the
      constabulary to do. If I wanted to wear a badge and throw my weight
      around, I would go to the local college and take security officer
      training, or I would join the police force. I became a constable to make
      sure that people would be safe while having fun, not to enforce ever more
      rules and regulations. I am not very happy with this mentality, and
      therefore am tendering a public resignation from the ranks of rostered
      constables. I will no longer work for a group (the SCA) that I see as
      becoming ever more dictatorial and autocratic with each passing year. I
      may still occcasionally work at gate, but that is dependant on whether or
      not I actually stay in the SCA. After my terrible experiences at
      Estrella, and then this mess, my belief in honor and chivalry is near
      dead. This is not a knee-jerk reaction to just this incidence; this has
      been building in me for the last 5 or more years. Yes, there are some
      wonderful people out there, but they are being overshadowed by all the
      bad.
      So, I quit.

      Arabella
    • John Groseclose
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2006
        At 4:51 PM -0800 3/12/06, ladyarabella@... wrote:
        >I have been reading the current brouhaha with much trepidation, and I don't
        >like the direction it is taking the constabulary as a whole. We are, more
        >and more, being asked to do the jobs of mundane security officers, (not
        >the police, but hired security) and that is not what I joined the
        >constabulary to do.

        This would be one of several reasons that the Estrella War hires
        several professional security guards to work during the War.

        Iain
        --
        Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
        Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum: