Re: [West Constables] Security at Estrella War

  • The MOMstable
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
      That would be fabulous. I would love to have you as one of my "Ack!!! I
      need another body..." persons. And I wouldn't put anyone on a golf cart
      that didn't want to. In theory, it's a perk. Though I gotta tell ya,
      as I found out last year, at 4 am, in driving rain, it's *not* a perk.

      Na'arah

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
        I am sorry but I will not be able to attend.
        Bethia Kingdom Constable

        The MOMstable <the_momstable@...> wrote:
        Greetings All,

        As some of you know, I helped out on Security at last Estrella War. I
        enjoyed doing it and plan to do so again. To that end, and with the
        permission and approval of the Estrella Security Staff, I am putting
        out a challenge for the West Kingdom contingent attending Estrella, to
        cover Security on the Friday night of the War (February 17, 2006).
        Other groups are also being challenged in this regard, for other nights
        of the war. I have been charged with organizing this for the West. I

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
          Your experience and sense of humor will be greatly missed. And I
          personally will miss your company.

          Hugs,

          Na'arah

          --- Susan Burch-Williamson <lady_bethia@...> wrote:

          > I am sorry but I will not be able to attend.
          > Bethia Kingdom Constable
          >
          > The MOMstable <the_momstable@...> wrote:
          > Greetings All,
          >
          > As some of you know, I helped out on Security at last Estrella War.
          > enjoyed doing it and plan to do so again. To that end, and with the
          > permission and approval of the Estrella Security Staff, I am putting
          > out a challenge for the West Kingdom contingent attending Estrella,
          > cover Security on the Friday night of the War (February 17, 2006).
          > Other groups are also being challenged in this regard, for other
          > nights
          > of the war. I have been charged with organizing this for the West.
          > know that some of the Western Constabulary plans to go to the War.
          > Some
          > plan to volunteer. Please consider working Friday night.
          >
          > I'm putting together a database right now of shifts and jobs. And I
          > thought I'd ask the Constables first, before I opened it up to the
          > general Western populace. Our shift is 8pm Friday to 8am Saturday.
          > I'm trying to work it to be 2 hour shifts only (unless you WANT to
          > work
          > more).
          >
          > Jobs are foot patrol, gate, Security Hut (which means both covering
          > paperwork and being my "Ack!!! I need another body in this slot"
          > person. If you want to have a golf cart patrol you need to 1. work
          > either gate or foot patrol for one hour, then you can have an hour of
          > cart patrol. 2. if you want to DRIVE golf cart, you need to qualify
          > as
          > a driver per the regulations of Estrella (valid drivers license,
          > proof
          > of insurance, membership, etc.)
          >
          > If Friday night isn't convenient, I know Security would love to have
          > your volunteer services, regardless of time slot.
          >
          > Despite the work, it should be fun. I really appreciate all the work
          > you do. Even while I'm asking if you'd like to do a bit more <smile>
          >

          > Yours in service,
          >
          > Na'arah bat Avraham - The Momstable
          > "If you feed them, they will come"

          > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism
          > Medieval time dinner and tournament

          > Service.

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John Groseclose
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
            At 9:56 PM -0800 11/10/05, The MOMstable wrote:
            That would be fabulous. I would love to have you as one of my "Ack!!! I
            need another body..." persons. And I wouldn't put anyone on a golf cart
            that didn't want to. In theory, it's a perk. Though I gotta tell ya,
            as I found out last year, at 4 am, in driving rain, it's *not* a perk.

            Na'arah

            I believe the MOMstable has omitted one of the perks: the Iain and
            Duncan show - every Estrella, sometime around 2-3AM... we're just
            never sure which day.

            I'm pretty sure she laughed a couple of times.

            Iain
            --
            Spam Delenda Est
          • The MOMstable
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
              Ahhhhh, I was saving that as a "surprise". Entertainment by
              ambush....er I mean as a surprise is always better, don't you think?
              Besides, you guys just want a group that hasn't heard all your jokes
              and stories yet.

              Seriously, chatting with the dangerous duo wiled away the less chaotic
              portions of the evening. They are fun to talk with.

              Na'arah

              --- John Groseclose <iain@...> wrote:

              > At 9:56 PM -0800 11/10/05, The MOMstable wrote:
              > That would be fabulous. I would love to have you as one of my "Ack!!!
              > need another body..." persons. And I wouldn't put anyone on a golf
              > cart
              > that didn't want to. In theory, it's a perk. Though I gotta tell
              > ya,
              > as I found out last year, at 4 am, in driving rain, it's *not* a
              > perk.
              >
              > Na'arah
              >
              > I believe the MOMstable has omitted one of the perks: the Iain and
              > Duncan show - every Estrella, sometime around 2-3AM... we're just
              > never sure which day.
              >
              > I'm pretty sure she laughed a couple of times.
              >
              > Iain
              > --
              > Spam Delenda Est

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • John Groseclose
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                At 8:48 AM -0800 11/11/05, The MOMstable wrote:
                Ahhhhh, I was saving that as a "surprise". Entertainment by
                ambush....er I mean as a surprise is always better, don't you think?
                Besides, you guys just want a group that hasn't heard all your jokes
                and stories yet.

                Seriously, chatting with the dangerous duo wiled away the less chaotic
                portions of the evening. They are fun to talk with.

                Na'arah

                Important distinction: the Iain and Duncan show (Or Duncan and Iain
                show) is NOT the same as the Dunstan and Duncan (or Duncan and
                Dunstan) show.

                The former is amusing, and the latter has been known to frighten off
                the volunteers... or at least cause them to run off in search of a
                brass brush to use on their frontal lobe.

                Iain
                --
                Spam Delenda Est
              • atensheriff@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                  Bethia,

                  That's too bad. I was looking forward to meeting the OTHER Bethia. :)

                  yehudah

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                    Shhhhhhhhh, you're scaring the children.

                    __________________________________
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • atensheriff@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                      Na'arah,

                      Chatting with Iain and Duncan is LESS chaotic?"

                      They don't call him "Duncan the mad Scot" for nothing!.
                      Trust me! Over 15 years of these two...

                      When these two Scots work together, you can't understand a
                      damn word they are saying!

                      It's painful to hear a Scott's brough / Jersey slang in a compound dialect.
                      <shiver>. Not unlike the frightening sounds produced if Louis Armstrong
                      played the pipes.

                      yehudah

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                        At 12:18 PM -0500 11/11/05, atensheriff@... wrote:
                        Na'arah,

                        Chatting with Iain and Duncan is LESS chaotic?"

                        They don't call him "Duncan the mad Scot" for nothing!.
                        Trust me! Over 15 years of these two...

                        When these two Scots work together, you can't understand a
                        damn word they are saying!

                        It's painful to hear a Scott's brough / Jersey slang in a compound dialect.
                        <shiver>. Not unlike the frightening sounds produced if Louis Armstrong
                        played the pipes.

                        We (Duncan and I) been trying to get some 15th Century Italian court
                        garb done in gray pinstripes...

                        :)

                        Iain
                        --
                        Spam Delenda Est
                      • The MOMstable
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                          Less chaotic then fires, brawls, and drunks...kind of.

                          You know, I've been looking into making pinstripe garb myself. I'm
                          partner in an SCA casino, and thought that a pinstriped cotehardie
                          would be wonderful.

                          Na'arah

                          __________________________________
                          http://farechase.yahoo.com

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                              You could always come up to one of our events, Yehudah. I'd feed you.

                              __________________________________
                              http://farechase.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                                Okay. At this point, I'm *hoping* to make it. And I'll know for sure
                                before pre-reg closes. And if I *can* go, of course sign me up. 2 hour
                                shifts? I must've CinC'd just one too many events because a 2 hour shift
                                sounds too short. <shrug> In other words, I'll take at two, they're small.
                                Ok, so I'm a nutter. <grin>

                                Wherever needed. I'm not picky.

                                Christophe

                                > I'm putting together a database right now of shifts and jobs. And I
                                > thought I'd ask the Constables first, before I opened it up to the
                                > general Western populace. Our shift is 8pm Friday to 8am Saturday. I'm
                                > trying to work it to be 2 hour shifts only (unless you WANT to work
                                > more).
                                >
                                > Jobs are foot patrol, gate, Security Hut (which means both covering
                                > paperwork and being my "Ack!!! I need another body in this slot"
                                > person. If you want to have a golf cart patrol you need to 1. work
                                > either gate or foot patrol for one hour, then you can have an hour of
                                > cart patrol. 2. if you want to DRIVE golf cart, you need to qualify as
                                > a driver per the regulations of Estrella (valid drivers license, proof
                                > of insurance, membership, etc.)
                              • John LaTorre
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 13, 2005
                                  Na'arah doesn't mention two other perks:

                                  First, if you volunteer for work, your hours qualify your group for payments
                                  from the Estrella War profits ... a small amount of money kicked back to the
                                  group you specify.

                                  Second, you get tickets for a drawing of stuff donated by the merchants, in
                                  proportion to your time. I think you have to be present to win the drawings,
                                  which are held daily (IIRC).

                                  I've donated a lot of hours to Estrella. I always give them my group for the
                                  "kickback" payment, but tear up the tickets.

                                  Unfortunately, I won't be able to volunteer for the Constabulary on Friday
                                  night, as I'm not entirely sure at this point whether I'll be attending this
                                  year. And even if I do, I'm usually too busy that night.

                                  Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)
                                • John Groseclose
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 13, 2005
                                    At 11:37 AM -0800 11/13/05, John LaTorre wrote:

                                    Second, you get tickets for a drawing of stuff donated by the merchants, in
                                    proportion to your time. I think you have to be present to win the drawings,
                                    which are held daily (IIRC).

                                    I've donated a lot of hours to Estrella. I always give them my group for the
                                    "kickback" payment, but tear up the tickets.

                                    Oh, don't do that.

                                    Keep the tickets. If you spot folks doing things that you approve of,
                                    pass your tickets on - I usually carry a few bits of brass, bronze,
                                    garnet, and quartz to use as largesse, but the tickets are more
                                    appreciated by some of the folks because they can win stuff that's
                                    bigger or more expensive than convenient for me to carry in my
                                    sporran.

                                    Iain
                                    --
                                    Spam Delenda Est