Re: [West Constables] Security at Estrella War

  • Willeam (Aros) Grenetrewis
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
      Greetings! At this point I am planning on attending Estrella War, though as I saw last year, only time will tell for sure. If I do make it, I would be happy to work security Friday night, or whenever is needed. I'm not particularly fond of golf carts, but I do well in the "Ack!!! I need another body..." slot. I'll let you know for sure as it gets closer.

      YIS,

      Willeam "Aros" Grenetrewis

      The MOMstable <the_momstable@...> wrote:
      Greetings All,

      As some of you know, I helped out on Security at last Estrella War. I
      enjoyed doing it and plan to do so again. To that end, and with the
      permission and approval of the Estrella Security Staff, I am putting
      out a challenge for the West Kingdom contingent attending Estrella, to
      cover Security on the Friday night of the War (February 17, 2006).
      Other groups are also being challenged in this regard, for other nights
      of the war. I have been charged with organizing this for the West. I
      know that some of the Western Constabulary plans to go to the War. Some
      plan to volunteer. Please consider working Friday night.

      I'm putting together a database right now of shifts and jobs. And I
      thought I'd ask the Constables first, before I opened it up to the
      general Western populace. Our shift is 8pm Friday to 8am Saturday.
      I'm trying to work it to be 2 hour shifts only (unless you WANT to work
      more).

      Jobs are foot patrol, gate, Security Hut (which means both covering
      paperwork and being my "Ack!!! I need another body in this slot"
      person. If you want to have a golf cart patrol you need to 1. work
      either gate or foot patrol for one hour, then you can have an hour of
      cart patrol. 2. if you want to DRIVE golf cart, you need to qualify as
      a driver per the regulations of Estrella (valid drivers license, proof
      of insurance, membership, etc.)

      If Friday night isn't convenient, I know Security would love to have
      your volunteer services, regardless of time slot.

      Despite the work, it should be fun. I really appreciate all the work
      you do. Even while I'm asking if you'd like to do a bit more <smile>

      Yours in service,

      Na'arah bat Avraham - The Momstable
      "If you feed them, they will come"

      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

      "So may we eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may all die!"

    • The MOMstable
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 10, 2005
        That would be fabulous. I would love to have you as one of my "Ack!!! I
        need another body..." persons. And I wouldn't put anyone on a golf cart
        that didn't want to. In theory, it's a perk. Though I gotta tell ya,
        as I found out last year, at 4 am, in driving rain, it's *not* a perk.

        Na'arah

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
            Your experience and sense of humor will be greatly missed. And I
            personally will miss your company.

            Hugs,

            Na'arah

            --- Susan Burch-Williamson <lady_bethia@...> wrote:

            > I am sorry but I will not be able to attend.
            > Bethia Kingdom Constable
            >
            > The MOMstable <the_momstable@...> wrote:
            > Greetings All,
            >
            > As some of you know, I helped out on Security at last Estrella War.
            > enjoyed doing it and plan to do so again. To that end, and with the
            > permission and approval of the Estrella Security Staff, I am putting
            > out a challenge for the West Kingdom contingent attending Estrella,
            > cover Security on the Friday night of the War (February 17, 2006).
            > Other groups are also being challenged in this regard, for other
            > nights
            > of the war. I have been charged with organizing this for the West.
            > know that some of the Western Constabulary plans to go to the War.
            > Some
            > plan to volunteer. Please consider working Friday night.
            >
            > I'm putting together a database right now of shifts and jobs. And I
            > thought I'd ask the Constables first, before I opened it up to the
            > general Western populace. Our shift is 8pm Friday to 8am Saturday.
            > I'm trying to work it to be 2 hour shifts only (unless you WANT to
            > work
            > more).
            >
            > Jobs are foot patrol, gate, Security Hut (which means both covering
            > paperwork and being my "Ack!!! I need another body in this slot"
            > person. If you want to have a golf cart patrol you need to 1. work
            > either gate or foot patrol for one hour, then you can have an hour of
            > cart patrol. 2. if you want to DRIVE golf cart, you need to qualify
            > as
            > a driver per the regulations of Estrella (valid drivers license,
            > proof
            > of insurance, membership, etc.)
            >
            > If Friday night isn't convenient, I know Security would love to have
            > your volunteer services, regardless of time slot.
            >
            > Despite the work, it should be fun. I really appreciate all the work
            > you do. Even while I'm asking if you'd like to do a bit more <smile>
            >

            > Yours in service,
            >
            > Na'arah bat Avraham - The Momstable
            > "If you feed them, they will come"

            > Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism
            > Medieval time dinner and tournament

            > Service.

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • John Groseclose
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
              At 9:56 PM -0800 11/10/05, The MOMstable wrote:
              That would be fabulous. I would love to have you as one of my "Ack!!! I
              need another body..." persons. And I wouldn't put anyone on a golf cart
              that didn't want to. In theory, it's a perk. Though I gotta tell ya,
              as I found out last year, at 4 am, in driving rain, it's *not* a perk.

              Na'arah

              I believe the MOMstable has omitted one of the perks: the Iain and
              Duncan show - every Estrella, sometime around 2-3AM... we're just
              never sure which day.

              I'm pretty sure she laughed a couple of times.

              Iain
              --
              Spam Delenda Est
            • The MOMstable
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                Ahhhhh, I was saving that as a "surprise". Entertainment by
                ambush....er I mean as a surprise is always better, don't you think?
                Besides, you guys just want a group that hasn't heard all your jokes
                and stories yet.

                Seriously, chatting with the dangerous duo wiled away the less chaotic
                portions of the evening. They are fun to talk with.

                Na'arah

                --- John Groseclose <iain@...> wrote:

                > At 9:56 PM -0800 11/10/05, The MOMstable wrote:
                > That would be fabulous. I would love to have you as one of my "Ack!!!
                > need another body..." persons. And I wouldn't put anyone on a golf
                > cart
                > that didn't want to. In theory, it's a perk. Though I gotta tell
                > ya,
                > as I found out last year, at 4 am, in driving rain, it's *not* a
                > perk.
                >
                > Na'arah
                >
                > I believe the MOMstable has omitted one of the perks: the Iain and
                > Duncan show - every Estrella, sometime around 2-3AM... we're just
                > never sure which day.
                >
                > I'm pretty sure she laughed a couple of times.
                >
                > Iain
                > --
                > Spam Delenda Est

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • John Groseclose
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                  At 8:48 AM -0800 11/11/05, The MOMstable wrote:
                  Ahhhhh, I was saving that as a "surprise". Entertainment by
                  ambush....er I mean as a surprise is always better, don't you think?
                  Besides, you guys just want a group that hasn't heard all your jokes
                  and stories yet.

                  Seriously, chatting with the dangerous duo wiled away the less chaotic
                  portions of the evening. They are fun to talk with.

                  Na'arah

                  Important distinction: the Iain and Duncan show (Or Duncan and Iain
                  show) is NOT the same as the Dunstan and Duncan (or Duncan and
                  Dunstan) show.

                  The former is amusing, and the latter has been known to frighten off
                  the volunteers... or at least cause them to run off in search of a
                  brass brush to use on their frontal lobe.

                  Iain
                  --
                  Spam Delenda Est
                • atensheriff@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                    Bethia,

                    That's too bad. I was looking forward to meeting the OTHER Bethia. :)

                    yehudah

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                      Shhhhhhhhh, you're scaring the children.

                      __________________________________
                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • atensheriff@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                        Na'arah,

                        Chatting with Iain and Duncan is LESS chaotic?"

                        They don't call him "Duncan the mad Scot" for nothing!.
                        Trust me! Over 15 years of these two...

                        When these two Scots work together, you can't understand a
                        damn word they are saying!

                        It's painful to hear a Scott's brough / Jersey slang in a compound dialect.
                        <shiver>. Not unlike the frightening sounds produced if Louis Armstrong
                        played the pipes.

                        yehudah

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                          At 12:18 PM -0500 11/11/05, atensheriff@... wrote:
                          Na'arah,

                          Chatting with Iain and Duncan is LESS chaotic?"

                          They don't call him "Duncan the mad Scot" for nothing!.
                          Trust me! Over 15 years of these two...

                          When these two Scots work together, you can't understand a
                          damn word they are saying!

                          It's painful to hear a Scott's brough / Jersey slang in a compound dialect.
                          <shiver>. Not unlike the frightening sounds produced if Louis Armstrong
                          played the pipes.

                          We (Duncan and I) been trying to get some 15th Century Italian court
                          garb done in gray pinstripes...

                          :)

                          Iain
                          --
                          Spam Delenda Est
                        • The MOMstable
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                            Less chaotic then fires, brawls, and drunks...kind of.

                            You know, I've been looking into making pinstripe garb myself. I'm
                            partner in an SCA casino, and thought that a pinstriped cotehardie
                            would be wonderful.

                            Na'arah

                            __________________________________
                            http://farechase.yahoo.com

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                                You could always come up to one of our events, Yehudah. I'd feed you.

                                __________________________________
                                http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 11, 2005
                                  Okay. At this point, I'm *hoping* to make it. And I'll know for sure
                                  before pre-reg closes. And if I *can* go, of course sign me up. 2 hour
                                  shifts? I must've CinC'd just one too many events because a 2 hour shift
                                  sounds too short. <shrug> In other words, I'll take at two, they're small.
                                  Ok, so I'm a nutter. <grin>

                                  Wherever needed. I'm not picky.

                                  Christophe

                                  > I'm putting together a database right now of shifts and jobs. And I
                                  > thought I'd ask the Constables first, before I opened it up to the
                                  > general Western populace. Our shift is 8pm Friday to 8am Saturday. I'm
                                  > trying to work it to be 2 hour shifts only (unless you WANT to work
                                  > more).
                                  >
                                  > Jobs are foot patrol, gate, Security Hut (which means both covering
                                  > paperwork and being my "Ack!!! I need another body in this slot"
                                  > person. If you want to have a golf cart patrol you need to 1. work
                                  > either gate or foot patrol for one hour, then you can have an hour of
                                  > cart patrol. 2. if you want to DRIVE golf cart, you need to qualify as
                                  > a driver per the regulations of Estrella (valid drivers license, proof
                                  > of insurance, membership, etc.)
                                • John LaTorre
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 13, 2005
                                    Na'arah doesn't mention two other perks:

                                    First, if you volunteer for work, your hours qualify your group for payments
                                    from the Estrella War profits ... a small amount of money kicked back to the
                                    group you specify.

                                    Second, you get tickets for a drawing of stuff donated by the merchants, in
                                    proportion to your time. I think you have to be present to win the drawings,
                                    which are held daily (IIRC).

                                    I've donated a lot of hours to Estrella. I always give them my group for the
                                    "kickback" payment, but tear up the tickets.

                                    Unfortunately, I won't be able to volunteer for the Constabulary on Friday
                                    night, as I'm not entirely sure at this point whether I'll be attending this
                                    year. And even if I do, I'm usually too busy that night.

                                    Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)
                                  • John Groseclose
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 13, 2005
                                      At 11:37 AM -0800 11/13/05, John LaTorre wrote:

                                      Second, you get tickets for a drawing of stuff donated by the merchants, in
                                      proportion to your time. I think you have to be present to win the drawings,
                                      which are held daily (IIRC).

                                      I've donated a lot of hours to Estrella. I always give them my group for the
                                      "kickback" payment, but tear up the tickets.

                                      Oh, don't do that.

                                      Keep the tickets. If you spot folks doing things that you approve of,
                                      pass your tickets on - I usually carry a few bits of brass, bronze,
                                      garnet, and quartz to use as largesse, but the tickets are more
                                      appreciated by some of the folks because they can win stuff that's
                                      bigger or more expensive than convenient for me to carry in my
                                      sporran.

                                      Iain
                                      --
                                      Spam Delenda Est