To troll or not to troll

  • Reverend Chewbacca
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
      Ok, it's come up on the West list, so I thought I'd put it to the
      constabulary. This is a sort of informal poll.

      Do you find calling the gate, or even the constable sitting at gate,
      "Troll" or "the Troll-booth" offensive?

      No opinion
      Not offensive at all
      Mildly offensive
      Moderately offensive
      Seriously offensive

      Feel free to email me privately with your opinion, or we can discuss
      it on-list. Your choice.

      My opinion (and this isn't meant to be leading, just to start the
      discussion), I've thought of it as a cute pun since I first heard it
      at my first or second event. I've never thought of it as offensive at
      all, and never understood why it gets some people so upset.

      My two centimes,
      Christophe
    • The MOMstable
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
        I've never minded the term troll or troll gate/booth. Have occasionally
        thought it amusing. The only thing I do mind is if someone uses the
        term derisively, in which case it doesn't matter WHAT they call
        it/me....it's offensive. (watch your tone of voice, young man, or I'm
        getting the soap!!!)

        Of course, I also liked the term feast-o-crat, too. Which makes me
        some sort of rebel, I suppose.

        Na'arah - The Momstable

        --- Reverend Chewbacca <christophe@...> wrote:

        > Ok, it's come up on the West list, so I thought I'd put it to the
        > constabulary. This is a sort of informal poll.
        >
        > Do you find calling the gate, or even the constable sitting at gate,
        > "Troll" or "the Troll-booth" offensive?
        >
        > No opinion
        > Not offensive at all
        > Mildly offensive
        > Moderately offensive
        > Seriously offensive
        >
        > Feel free to email me privately with your opinion, or we can discuss
        > it on-list. Your choice.
        >
        > My opinion (and this isn't meant to be leading, just to start the
        > discussion), I've thought of it as a cute pun since I first heard it
        > at my first or second event. I've never thought of it as offensive at
        > all, and never understood why it gets some people so upset.
        >
        > My two centimes,
        > Christophe

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Dan Wagner
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
          It's like calling a Knight a "stick jock"- it's fine if it's said with a
          grin and meant in jest AND from someone you know.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
            I don't know. Stick jock doesn't have the "cute pun" thing going for it.
            Though I will agree, as both you and Na'arah said, that it pretty much
            only works coming in a light tone of voice, and not stated with any sort
            of disrespectful or derogatory tone. Doesn't really have to be from
            someone I know for me, though.

            Christophe

            Dan Wagner said:
            > It's like calling a Knight a "stick jock"- it's fine if it's said with a
            > grin and meant in jest AND from someone you know.
            >
            > Wulfy
          • The MOMstable
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
              Oh yes, "troll" is definitely cuter than "stickjock". Obviously
              <innocent smile>

              Na'arah

              --- Christophe d'Avignon <christophe@...> wrote:

              > I don't know. Stick jock doesn't have the "cute pun" thing going for
              > it.
              > Though I will agree, as both you and Na'arah said, that it pretty
              > much
              > only works coming in a light tone of voice, and not stated with any
              > sort
              > of disrespectful or derogatory tone. Doesn't really have to be from
              > someone I know for me, though.
              >
              > Christophe
              >
              > Dan Wagner said:
              > > It's like calling a Knight a "stick jock"- it's fine if it's said
              > with a
              > > grin and meant in jest AND from someone you know.
              > >
              > > Wulfy

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Larry McCoy
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                Reverend Chewbacca wrote:

                >Ok, it's come up on the West list, so I thought I'd put it to the
                >constabulary. This is a sort of informal poll.
                >
                >Do you find calling the gate, or even the constable sitting at gate,
                >"Troll" or "the Troll-booth" offensive?
                >
                >No opinion
                >Not offensive at all
                >Mildly offensive
                >Moderately offensive
                >Seriously offensive
                >
                >Feel free to email me privately with your opinion, or we can discuss
                >it on-list. Your choice.
                >
                >My opinion (and this isn't meant to be leading, just to start the
                >discussion), I've thought of it as a cute pun since I first heard it
                >at my first or second event. I've never thought of it as offensive at
                >all, and never understood why it gets some people so upset.
                >
                >My two centimes,
                >Christophe

                Being a errr,,, hmmmm,,, "stick jock", I wouldn't pummel anyone that
                called me a troll..
                (if you've ever seen me early arisen before coffee is ready, I'm VERY
                troll-like.....)

                But I personally don't care for it. (being called a troll while doing
                constable stuff)....
                But it doesn't really bug me...

                Sir Trelaine
              • Baccus Kaloethes
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Me, as a new Constable, have a hard opinion. I can be very Trollish if I haven't had my morning caffine or hug...but other than that...doesn't bother me...

                  Baccus

                  Reverend Chewbacca <christophe@...> wrote:
                  Ok, it's come up on the West list, so I thought I'd put it to the
                  constabulary. This is a sort of informal poll.

                  Do you find calling the gate, or even the constable sitting at gate,
                  "Troll" or "the Troll-booth" offensive?

                  No opinion
                  Not offensive at all
                  Mildly offensive
                  Moderately offensive
                  Seriously offensive

                  Feel free to email me privately with your opinion, or we can discuss
                  it on-list. Your choice.

                  My opinion (and this isn't meant to be leading, just to start the
                  discussion), I've thought of it as a cute pun since I first heard it
                  at my first or second event. I've never thought of it as offensive at
                  all, and never understood why it gets some people so upset.

                  My two centimes,

                  Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                    If you don't mind an opinion from the outside,

                    'Troll' is the general term here for the reeve/exchequer collecting the site
                    fees.
                    I is not a practice to use the term for security.

                    'Gate' or 'Gatekeeper' is the sheriff on duty.

                    That aside, for me, 'Troll' as a job or title by doesn't have any inherent
                    negative connotation in the SCA.

                    BTW Anyone up for fun and games in February? We are having a little
                    get together then. Y'all are welcome to come and work.

                    yehudah

                  • John Groseclose
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                      At 10:05 AM -0500 11/8/05, atensheriff@... wrote:
                      If you don't mind an opinion from the outside,

                      'Troll' is the general term here for the reeve/exchequer collecting the site
                      fees.
                      I is not a practice to use the term for security.

                      'Gate' or 'Gatekeeper' is the sheriff on duty.

                      That aside, for me, 'Troll' as a job or title by doesn't have any inherent
                      negative connotation in the SCA.

                      BTW Anyone up for fun and games in February? We are having a little
                      get together then. Y'all are welcome to come and work.

                      yehudah

                      Personally, I dislike the terms "troll," "eric," and "feastocrat,"
                      and would much rather hear "toller," "tourney field," and "steward,"
                      all of which are perfectly period terms...

                      I also get twitchy when I hear people referring to children as
                      underwear (smalls/smallclothes.)

                      Iain
                      --
                      Spam Delenda Est
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                        I am not a troll. We are constables.
                        It is a cutsy name but that is Not who we are.
                        Bethia Kingdom Constable

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                          This wouldn't be that little social get together you all have in February is is ;) that lil ol' get together in the dusty hills....

                          I'll be there for sure....as a stick jock and a troll....

                          baccus - - he who doesn't need much sleep

                          atensheriff@... wrote:
                          If you don't mind an opinion from the outside,

                          'Troll' is the general term here for the reeve/exchequer collecting the site
                          fees.
                          I is not a practice to use the term for security.

                          'Gate' or 'Gatekeeper' is the sheriff on duty.

                          That aside, for me, 'Troll' as a job or title by doesn't have any inherent
                          negative connotation in the SCA.

                          BTW Anyone up for fun and games in February? We are having a little
                          get together then. Y'all are welcome to come and work.

                          yehudah

                          Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

                        • Iohannes Kynith
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                            I'm not part of the West. I live in the Outlands but am originally from An
                            Tir. In the Outlands, they've been calling it troll for as long as I can
                            remember. Since my wife and I started autocrating 2 years ago we've always
                            referred to it as "gate". We'll, I'm happy to say that now we will here
                            gate 50% of the time. My wife hates being called a troll. :)

                            _____

                            <http://sol3.net/photos/keithb/images/850/secondarythumb.aspx>
                            In Service to the Dream
                            Iohannes Kynith
                            [In Submission] Per saltire sable and gules a wolf sejant head erect and in
                            canton a sun Or. Constable for the Barony of Caerthe
                            Or, a flanged mace bendwise vert and a bordure embattled sable.
                            <http://sol3.net/photos/keithb/images/839/original.aspx>

                            _____

                            >Ok, it's come up on the West list, so I thought I'd put it to the
                            >constabulary. This is a sort of informal poll.
                            >
                            >Do you find calling the gate, or even the constable sitting at gate,
                            >"Troll" or "the Troll-booth" offensive?
                            >
                            >No opinion
                            >Not offensive at all
                            >Mildly offensive
                            >Moderately offensive
                            >Seriously offensive
                            >
                            >Feel free to email me privately with your opinion, or we can discuss
                            >it on-list. Your choice.
                            >
                            >My opinion (and this isn't meant to be leading, just to start the
                            >discussion), I've thought of it as a cute pun since I first heard it
                            >at my first or second event. I've never thought of it as offensive at
                            >all, and never understood why it gets some people so upset.
                            >
                            >My two centimes,
                            >Christophe

                            Being a errr,,, hmmmm,,, "stick jock", I wouldn't pummel anyone that
                            called me a troll..
                            (if you've ever seen me early arisen before coffee is ready, I'm VERY
                            troll-like.....)

                            But I personally don't care for it. (being called a troll while doing
                            constable stuff)....
                            But it doesn't really bug me...

                            Sir Trelaine

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "wkconstabulary
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wkconstabulary> " on the web.

                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            _____

                          • Reverend Chewbacca
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                              Outside comments more than welcome!

                              Actually, I think we have a slight bit of inter-kingdom
                              miscommunication here. In Atenvelt (and elsewhere), from what you're
                              saying, the taking of money and signing people in at events is a task
                              that falls under the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Here in The West, it
                              falls under the Constabulary. Hence the confusion. The only time any
                              part of our Constabulary has been referred to as "Troll" is when
                              sitting at the gate collecting money. To my knowledge, the term has
                              never been used in reference to those doing fire walk or any other
                              safety duties.

                              Oh, and I'm hoping to make it to your little shindig in February.
                              Depends on how much OT I work mundanely over the next couple of
                              months. Oh, and how overboard I go with that OT money in shopping for
                              x-mas/12th night gifts. Oh, and can't forget Hannukah, right Na'arah?
                              <grin>

                              Christophe

                              --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, atensheriff@a... wrote:

                              > If you don't mind an opinion from the outside,
                              >
                              > 'Troll' is the general term here for the reeve/exchequer collecting
                              the site
                              > fees.
                              > I is not a practice to use the term for security.
                              >
                              > 'Gate' or 'Gatekeeper' is the sheriff on duty.
                              >
                              > That aside, for me, 'Troll' as a job or title by doesn't have any
                              inherent
                              > negative connotation in the SCA.
                              >

                              > BTW Anyone up for fun and games in February? We are having a little
                              > get together then. Y'all are welcome to come and work.
                              >

                              > yehudah

                            • Neves, Luis
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                                Hello All

                                My opinion - The terminology has been around for a number of years, There is
                                very little that would insult me. It really does not bother me at all.

                                Thank You for your time.

                                Achmed O.A.Adzes.
                                Achmed the Wanderer
                                Emissary, Silk Road

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                                  I think it could be offensive if used in the wrong way. But for the
                                  most part I really don't care what they call me as long as they pay and
                                  fill out the sign in sheet correctly.

                                  Francisco

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                                    BTW Anyone up for fun and games in February? We are having a little
                                    get together then. Y'all are welcome to come and work.

                                    yehudah

                                    ----- Hmmmm, An event in February??? Let's see, I don't think I'll be
                                    promoting anything that weekend. So if my funds hold out, I may just
                                    see you there.

                                    Francisco
                                  • Willeam (Aros) Grenetrewis
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 8, 2005
                                      Looks like I'm a little slow on the draw this morning, but here's my two cents. As one who could be considered both a Troll and a Stick-Jock, I don't find either particularly offensive, though I do agree with Bethia's stance that we are in fact "Constables", not Trolls. I see "Troll" as synonomous with "Gate". I can understand "Paying Troll", or "Paying at the Troll-Booth", but not "Watch your fire and keep minors from drinking because there be Trolls lurking about."

                                      Willeam "Aros" Grenetrewis

[...]

                                      "So may we eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may all die!"