Wow!

  • Reverend Chewbacca
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
      Three other Kingdoms now. Welcome to Yehudah from Atenveldt! And we've
      got enough sandbox for everyone to play. <grin>

      Hmmm... Maybe I should change things to "Known World" instead of
      simply "West Kingdom". <chuckle>

      Christophe
    • The MOMstable
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
        I've been playing in other peoples backyards, and invited them to join
        us for a playdate. Pass the plate of brownies and cookies around and
        share constable stories, folks.

        The Momstable

        --- Reverend Chewbacca <christophe@...> wrote:

        > Three other Kingdoms now. Welcome to Yehudah from Atenveldt! And
        > we've
        > got enough sandbox for everyone to play. <grin>
        >
        > Hmmm... Maybe I should change things to "Known World" instead of
        > simply "West Kingdom". <chuckle>
        >
        > Christophe

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • The MOMstable
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
          Okay, one of the reasons we are all here is to brainstorm topics that
          concern the safety of the populous and the safe running of the
          constabulary (as well as to solicite help for events and make teasing
          comments at each other)

          So, I throw open for discussion the following topic.

          http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/4842625/detail.html

          http://pennsicindependent.com/node/142

          For those who may not know, there was an assault/rape at Pennsic this
          year. Whether or not such things have happened in previous years has
          been debated for years.

          What I'd like to see discussed is what we - as constables - are
          thinking about in regards to safety. We are not police. If something
          happens we will call 911 and cooperate with the real authorities.

          But what do we think should be done about being escorts.
          How do we protect our own constables when out on patrol.
          When, where and how much should we worry about this.

          The reason I bring this up, is that last weekend at Purgatorio
          Coronation, I was told I needed to have an escort to the bathrooms
          Saturday night. This is at an event of less then 200 people there by
          that time, most of which I knew. The privies were close and lit and
          not deserted. And my voice was in earshot of the entire camp (proven
          by the fact I'd done the 8am heraldic shout that morning). And I was
          co-autocrat. I'd done evening walk arounds the night before, by
          myself. I did take a friend to check on the far gate, mainly for the
          company. And I tend to be prudent. But I found the idea that I
          couldn't go to the bathroom alone at this particular event bordering on
          paranoid ridiculousness.

          I know that I have sat gate alone, at night, in the past. I have been
          CinC and done the night time firewalk alone. And at last years
          Estrella, while I was checking on my people, I rode the golf cart alone
          to all sorts of areas of the encampment, and got out and walked others.
          Granted I had a radio during that time, so I wasn't unconnected. But
          sometimes we don't have radios (we didn't years ago when I started
          constabling).

          So...thoughts, feedback, suggestions, comments?

          Na'arah bat Avraham
          The MOMstable

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • atensheriff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
            Greeting Christopher,

            Thank you for allowing me to join and to Momstable for extending the
            invitation.

            I would love to see a forum for ALL the kingdom sheriffs to communicate.
            We are the one group of officers that generally could use coordination
            and organization that we lack overall.

            Regards,
            Yehudah of Nuremberg
            Aten Sheriff

            Maybe I should change things to "Known World" instead of
            simply "West Kingdom". <chuckle>

          • Larry McCoy
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
              atensheriff@... wrote:

              >Greeting Christopher,
              >
              >Thank you for allowing me to join and to Momstable for extending the
              >invitation.
              >
              >I would love to see a forum for ALL the kingdom sheriffs to communicate.
              >We are the one group of officers that generally could use coordination
              >and organization that we lack overall.
              >
              >Regards,
              >Yehudah of Nuremberg
              >Aten Sheriff
              >

              >Maybe I should change things to "Known World" instead of
              >simply "West Kingdom". <chuckle>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Larry McCoy
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                atensheriff@... wrote:

                >Greeting Christopher,
                >
                >Thank you for allowing me to join and to Momstable for extending the
                >invitation.
                >
                >I would love to see a forum for ALL the kingdom sheriffs to communicate.
                >We are the one group of officers that generally could use coordination
                >and organization that we lack overall.
                >
                >Regards,
                >Yehudah of Nuremberg
                >Aten Sheriff
                >

                >Maybe I should change things to "Known World" instead of
                >simply "West Kingdom". <chuckle>

                Darn hate it when I forget that I'm already in reply mode....

                Greets Yahudah...
                Doubt if you'd remember me,
                We've met at several Estrella's..
                Welcome to this list..

                Sir Anluan Trelaine

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I think this is great the only thing is don't get Sheriff Bethia in AZ mix up with me:-)
                  Bethia Prime

                  atensheriff@... wrote:
                  Greeting Christopher,

                  Thank you for allowing me to join and to Momstable for extending the
                  invitation.

                  I would love to see a forum for ALL the kingdom sheriffs to communicate.
                  We are the one group of officers that generally could use coordination
                  and organization that we lack overall.

                  Regards,
                  Yehudah of Nuremberg
                  Aten Sheriff

                  Maybe I should change things to "Known World" instead of
                  simply "West Kingdom". <chuckle>

                  Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Medieval time dinner and tournament

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Most of the time we have not had any problems. I get uncomfortable in places that are to accessable to mundanes like fairgrounds in the center of towns. But there should not have been any concern at Purg. Though I will sheepishly admit to being uneasy going on my midnight lat run since it was not close to my camp or the main group.
                    When we have know that there was possible problems we formed patrols and cautioned people to be more careful-ie when we shared space with the convicts last year. We have plenty of Jackbooted(sandled) thugs(large male constables) plus knights and noble fighters who should make it there concern to look after the rest of us helpless folk. The camp is our home we should make it safe for our selves and others. Looking out for trouble, using 911 and group tactics is our best we can do. We are not cops or security but there are plenty of them in our group to help if needed.
                    Bethia K.C.

                    The MOMstable <the_momstable@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • sarah kate
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2005
                      I have to confess that 90% of the time I operate under
                      a false sense of security when at events. I know a
                      lot of people, and even if I'm out late at night by
                      myself I still tend to feel that I something were to
                      happen and if I were to scream for help someone would
                      come running. Unwise, yes, as we see it doesn't
                      matter how large the event unfortunate incidents still
                      happen. But, at the same time, I spoke with several
                      other women from Caid, and while no woman "asks" to be
                      raped, how you carry yourself can be the deciding
                      factor as to if you will become a victim or not.
                      Statistically if a woman walks as though she is going
                      somewhere, looks people she passes in the eye and
                      carries herself in an assertive manner her chances of
                      being raped are decreased. That's not to say it still
                      wont happen, if a man is intent on hurting a woman he
                      will. But there are things a woman can do to maybe
                      make them think twice.

                      More ofen then not if I'm up at 2 or 3am walking
                      somewhere, its because I've been woken up to go deal
                      with something. I'm sure you have all been in that
                      sort of situation and frankly at that point no matter
                      how well intentioned it may be, the last thing I'm in
                      the mood for is someone stopping me and trying to walk
                      me to my destination. If for whatever reason I feel
                      uneasy about going to a deserted area or one with
                      little to no lighting I'll ask someone to come with
                      me. The SCA is blessed (hehe) with strong minded and
                      independent women trying to hold our hands every step
                      of the way is only going to frustrate us. Its not
                      that it isn't appreciated it most certainly is. But I
                      understand the risks and accept them.

                      As for how we are approaching over-night events in
                      Caid; we let the populous know that the constabulary
                      is more then willing to escort people back to their
                      encampments. We have also asked our roaming
                      constables to keep an eye out for women wandering
                      alone as well as intoxicated women, approach them, let
                      them know that they are constables and offer to walk
                      them back to camp. Beyond that, I don't think there's
                      much else we can do.

                      --- Susan Burch-Williamson <lady_bethia@...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > couldn't go to the bathroom alone at this particular
                      > event bordering on
                      > paranoid ridiculousness.
                      >
                      > I know that I have sat gate alone, at night, in the
                      > past. I have been
                      > CinC and done the night time firewalk alone. And at
                      > last years
                      > Estrella, while I was checking on my people, I rode
                      > the golf cart alone
                      > to all sorts of areas of the encampment, and got out
                      > and walked others.
                      > Granted I had a radio during that time, so I wasn't
                      > unconnected. But
                      > sometimes we don't have radios (we didn't years ago
                      > when I started
                      > constabling).
                      >
                      > So...thoughts, feedback, suggestions, comments?
                      >
                      > Na'arah bat Avraham
                      > The MOMstable

                      > Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times

                      sarah
                      cell:(949)981-9193
                      "The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
                      -Rita Mae Brown

                    • Christinialynne Hunter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2005
                        I have to agree with you on this topic. (Look, my first post!) And
                        I'll tell you why. Most everyone knows the PFW by now, and most
                        know that the only ones on it, aside from the few chances we get,
                        its mostly girls/women. And all of them, this is their (almost,
                        full at March) first year of going to event. So, i had to make a few
                        rules that were different from other house rules. Now they have all
                        had the self defense class that we ( because we were all in HS
                        together ) all got, so they knew what to do so that we didnt make
                        our selves targets. So, when we had constables comeby and check on
                        us at our fire at ducal, I thought it was really cool. Now, i dont
                        know if that was because of what happened at Pennsic or what, but i
                        thought it was nice. Then again, we always have Aros, Happy, or
                        Achmed come over, but now more and different constables are
                        visiting. Which is sooooo good, because my fire became popular this
                        ducal. So, I think that if we as constables show we are just making
                        sure everything goes smoothly, the threats that MIGHT be out there,
                        will just become a min. I know that I liked it that they came to
                        check on us, and im sure my girls did as well. Because i have a
                        feeling that there will just be more people, and by that i mean more
                        drinking, around my fires. And I think that with that exposure, we,
                        and other camps, will get the right kind of people visting. BTW,
                        ANy constable on duty that comes by my camp at night, is free to ask
                        for anything, lol if i have it.

                        Thank you,
                        Capt. Amabel L. Urbana
                        Pink Fuzzy Whip

                        --- In wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com, sarah kate

                      • atensheriff@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2005
                          Hi to all,

                          It is very difficult for security to be everywhere.
                          While it's laudable to be so considerate of a lady's safety,
                          it's impractical as well as possibly unlawful to try to enforce it.
                          Request it and promote it, yes.

                          To me, the most reasonable thing is to plan the site setup as best
                          as possible. Arrange facilities so they are well lit and not isolated
                          from populated areas Promote the use of a 'nightlight' lantern in camps
                          so their common area is not too dark.

                          I don't know the details on the reported SCA incident at Pennsic
                          but most attacks upon women are in the safety and isolation of
                          their own home. There is no escort in your tent.

                          From my perspective, we can't enforce or provide a solid, secure
                          environment. Not even the mundane authorities can do that.

                          What we CAN offer is a sense of being safe in a group that
                          holds decency and consideration of others in esteem.
                          We can be the visual and verbal reminders for SCA folk to be
                          aware and observant for their own safety and others.

                          We can respond with aide and through awarness, head-off
                          safety issues before hand.

                          I hope I made some sense. If not, just delete.

                          yehudah
                          Aten Sheriff

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
                            > What we CAN offer is a sense of being safe in a group that
                            > holds decency and consideration of others in esteem.
                            > We can be the visual and verbal reminders for SCA folk to be
                            > aware and observant for their own safety and others.

                            In that vein, I think the best thing we can do, constables or no, is
                            basic socialization (is that the word?) of new members. Making sure
                            that newcomers know our ideals, our collective world-view. I know,
                            it's not the same for everyone, but for the most part, we in the SCA
                            believe that honor, courtesy and chivalry are what we strive for the
                            most. If people attending events don't hold to that ideal, that's when
                            we have the most problems.

                            And when at least the majority of us *do* hold to that ideal, well,
                            that's the part of the SCA that I love most.

                            So to give a slight twist to this topic, how best to make sure that
                            the largest number of people possible understand that chivalry isn't
                            *just* for knights? <grin>

                            Christophe
                          • atensheriff@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
                              Christopher,

                              The acceptance of honor and chivalry is one of the most basic concepts
                              Newcomers read booklets, newsletters and become involved. But
                              that is just the beginning.

                              Reinforcement is needed by seeing others behave, hearing others speak of
                              what each calls 'Their Dream'. They watch and learn from the nobility and
                              peers. Sometimes, these observations can be disappointing.

                              How best to make sure that the largest number of people possible
                              understand that chivalry isn't *just* for knights?

                              Just be the example of honor and decency that you would like to
                              see in others. It will spread. Simply that.

                              As a constable or sheriff, when entering a situation, keep that in mind.
                              Start off respectful of the people involved and you have a better chance
                              of getting that in return.

                              yehudah
                              Aten