Constables

  • momcatz
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 10, 2005
      Dearest Gentles,

      After our last event at Little Su Campground, I have
      become painfully aware that we need to run a 24 hour
      Constab. During the day we are all able to watch and
      lock up our stuff. At night we are more vulnerable
      and things happen.

      Please, when you sign into the event, also sign up to
      take a 2 hour stint at Constab. This will help all of
      us feel and be safer.

      Thank you,
      Elisa bat Avraham, Acting Seneschal

      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Dan Wagner
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 10, 2005
        "Little Su"??

        In general a 24 hour Constab or Gate hasn't been nessesary at Western
        Events. However, site differ and I don't recognize this name. We did pull
        all niters at some sites.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 10, 2005
          I am so sorry! I should remember that while I
          recognize most of the sites down there, you may not
          recognize the sites up here in Oertha!
          the Little Su campground is next to the Little Susitna
          River that flows through and around Houston, Alaska.
          Our last event someone came through the campground and
          stole and/or vandalized quite a bit of our stuff.
          *sigh* Now we have to re-establish a 24 hour constab
          at this site. (a state campground).
          Good news is, we stand a good chance of recovering
          most of the stolen goods.
          Thanks for asking!

          Elisa bat Avraham, Acting Seneschal and sometime
          constab.

          --- Dan Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:

          > "Little Su"??
          >
          > In general a 24 hour Constab or Gate hasn't been
          > nessesary at Western
          > Events. However, site differ and I don't recognize
          > this name. We did pull
          > all niters at some sites.

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
            Dear Lady;
            After the report I received from that camp site I am going to suggest we never use it again.
            We usually do not have these kinds of problems and harrasment at most of our sites.
            We should not have to become an armed encampment to protect us from Mundanes. If we do we will not have any event there.

            In Service Bethia de la Birche Kingdom Constable

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
              Dear Lady;
              My earlier note about a report was not about your site-sorry. It was about the Cynagua Coronet where it too had trouble.
              Please send me a report of what happened at your event and if this a regular occurance please. We can discuss options that might help.

              Thank you Bethia K.C.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
                Y'know, this is the kind of thing that makes me sorry we're called
                Constables. People associate the name "constable" with the British
                constables, which is equated to the American police. Which is precisely
                what we of the constabulary are *not*. I'm not criticizing you, Elisa. Not
                at all! But people are turning to the constabulary more and more for
                security work. We're not security officers, we're *safety* officers.
                Properly flagged guy lines and attended fires. That kind of thing. Of
                course, the flip side of that problem is that we don't *have* anyone whose
                job is to provice police-type security.

                I don't know the solution... Any ideas?

                Christophe

              • Dan Wagner
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
                  Although we are NOT "police' we can act as "watchmen", in other words,
                  gatekeepers, signers in ,those who call the real police if there's trouble.
                  This come short of even being "security guards", note. If there was someone
                  coming in, we would not attempt to apprehend him (unless there was a "clear
                  & present danger to the public safety", in which case we'd let out a "hue
                  and cry" and call 911)- but we could say "excuse me, are you supposed to be
                  here?"

                  Watchmen aka Vigiles are an ancient and honourable position. They WATCH for
                  fires, public dangers, and crimes. They REPORT same. They will begin putting
                  out a small fire. They do not attempt to apprehend perps.

                  momcatz said:
                  > I am so sorry! I should remember that while I
                  > recognize most of the sites down there, you may not
                  > recognize the sites up here in Oertha!
                  > the Little Su campground is next to the Little Susitna
                  > River that flows through and around Houston, Alaska.
                  > Our last event someone came through the campground and
                  > stole and/or vandalized quite a bit of our stuff.
                  > *sigh* Now we have to re-establish a 24 hour constab
                  > at this site. (a state campground).
                  > Good news is, we stand a good chance of recovering
                  > most of the stolen goods.
                  > Thanks for asking!
                  >
                  > Elisa bat Avraham, Acting Seneschal and sometime
                  > constab.
                  >
                  > --- Dan Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> "Little Su"??
                  >>
                  >> In general a 24 hour Constab or Gate hasn't been
                  >> nessesary at Western
                  >> Events. However, site differ and I don't recognize
                  >> this name. We did pull
                  >> all niters at some sites.

                • Larry McCoy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
                    Dan Wagner wrote:

                    >Although we are NOT "police' we can act as "watchmen", in other words,
                    >gatekeepers, signers in ,those who call the real police if there's trouble.
                    >This come short of even being "security guards", note. If there was someone
                    >coming in, we would not attempt to apprehend him (unless there was a "clear
                    >& present danger to the public safety", in which case we'd let out a "hue
                    >and cry" and call 911)- but we could say "excuse me, are you supposed to be
                    >here?"
                    >
                    >Watchmen aka Vigiles are an ancient and honourable position. They WATCH for
                    >fires, public dangers, and crimes. They REPORT same. They will begin putting
                    >out a small fire. They do not attempt to apprehend perps.
                    >
                    >Wulfy

                    Dunno Wulfy..
                    more than once as a CIC, I've had to deal with things that have
                    surpassed the term "security guard"

                    Once with drunk mundanes with a loaded firearm at a interkingdom
                    war....(got the weapon away from the mundane and held it till police got
                    there)
                    Mundanes breaking into cars in the parking lot..
                    and at least three times I've had to deal with drunken combatants..which
                    on two occassions I had to protect my own physical self..
                    (all of whom were SCA participants).

                    So I suggest that on rare occassions, yes, we are called upon to be
                    "security guards" or more.

                    Sir Trelaine
                  • Dan Wagner

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
                        Dearest Bethia,
                        In truth the events were an anomoly. In fact, someone
                        else camping there (not with us) knows who took the
                        stuff, and persuaded the person to return the majority
                        of the items. At the request of our baron we will
                        have a 24 hour watch this next event. We are going to
                        have some "ooo shiny" things there that should be
                        watched. Although forging the axe will take 4 to 6
                        hours, and is happening after feast, it still won't be
                        all night. We have enough night owls and early birds
                        that I am certain we will be covered.
                        It also helps that City Hall is adjacent to the
                        campsite and that the troopers office is in City Hall.

                        Elisa, Acting Seneschal and sometime constab

                        --- Susan Burch-Williamson <lady_bethia@...>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 13, 2005
                          Dear Christophe,
                          I understand your point of view!!! And agree too.
                          However, in a group as small as ours, we need to look
                          out for each other. If anything happens, the trooper
                          office is a stone's throw away, litteraly.
                          Elisa, just doing her bit to help

                          wrote:

                          > Y'know, this is the kind of thing that makes me
                          > sorry we're called
                          > Constables. People associate the name "constable"
                          > with the British
                          > constables, which is equated to the American police.
                          > Which is precisely
                          > what we of the constabulary are *not*. I'm not
                          > criticizing you, Elisa. Not
                          > at all! But people are turning to the constabulary
                          > more and more for
                          > security work. We're not security officers, we're
                          > *safety* officers.
                          > Properly flagged guy lines and attended fires. That
                          > kind of thing. Of
                          > course, the flip side of that problem is that we
                          > don't *have* anyone whose
                          > job is to provice police-type security.
                          >
                          > I don't know the solution... Any ideas?
                          >
                          > Christophe
                          >
                          > momcatz said:
                          > > I am so sorry! I should remember that while I
                          > > recognize most of the sites down there, you may
                          > not
                          > > recognize the sites up here in Oertha!
                          > > the Little Su campground is next to the Little
                          > Susitna
                          > > River that flows through and around Houston,
                          > Alaska.
                          > > Our last event someone came through the campground
                          > and
                          > > stole and/or vandalized quite a bit of our stuff.
                          > > *sigh* Now we have to re-establish a 24 hour
                          > constab
                          > > at this site. (a state campground).
                          > > Good news is, we stand a good chance of recovering
                          > > most of the stolen goods.
                          > > Thanks for asking!
                          > >
                          > > Elisa bat Avraham, Acting Seneschal and sometime
                          > > constab.
                          > >
                          > > --- Dan Wagner <wulfstand@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> "Little Su"??
                          > >>
                          > >> In general a 24 hour Constab or Gate hasn't been
                          > >> nessesary at Western
                          > >> Events. However, site differ and I don't
                          > recognize
                          > >> this name. We did pull
                          > >> all niters at some sites.

                          Discover Yahoo!
                          http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 14, 2005
                            Dear Lady;
                            It sounds like you are covering thing as best as possible.
                            Each site and situation must be evaluated for its own set of problems.
                            Good luck on your next event.
                            In Service Bethia K.C.

                          • Marl Stone
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 13, 2011
                              FYI, I may have a number of fairly new people interested in trying out being a Constable. As Baron, I have charged my Brute Squad to become Marshals and Constables to the level immediately above "in training", in that they get to the level where they are trusted and know, in general to do the job of a Constable. As they come to events, I'll likely be sending them to help at Gate and in other ways after they've helped out in the Baronial encampment.

                              I'm pretty sure I can count on you to welcome them and to show them the ropes. At least one of them is a Senior Constable (and thus is ahead of the game), but many of the others are very new.

                              When I run into Francisco, I'll talk with him more about my ideas. If any of you see me at an event (or would like to ask me questions here), please don't hesitate to ask me what ever is on your mind.

                              Seamus, Baron of Rivenoak
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 13, 2011
                                I'll be happy to train them at any upcoming Kingdom level event and I'm
                                sure Volker would be willing to assist with any training at Cynaguan
                                events for your people Seamus. Just let me know what you need and I
                                will make sure you get it.

                                -Francisco

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 13, 2011
                                  I can also handle an firewalk training also. Fire walks are my favorite part. ;0)
                                  Sven Gotfriedson
                                  Incomming Mist Constable

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 13, 2011
                                    Yes, if any of them are going to be at Coronet, please, send them my way.

                                    Volker

                                    "Blessed Be all who enter here, for this land belongs to the free of the Heart, Mind, and Soul"

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 13, 2011
                                      Short notice, I understand but real life has given me short notice. I am in
                                      need of someone to cover Mists Bardic Gate on the 24th of this month.
                                      Please let me know asap if you can help me out! Thanks!

                                      Mysh

                                      Constable of the Mists