2265Re: [West Constables] Lost Child procedures

  • Glenn Gorsuch
    Oct 4, 2011
      One of the best ways we used to use to handle this issue, and what we
      STARTED to do up at Purg this year before the child was found, was sending
      people out, not just in a specific direction, but also a specifc distance.
      As you get more volunteers, and those tend to increase as the search goes
      on, you fill in spaces from those farthest out (who keep moving out) back
      towards your central point, so you can get a relay in place, and those
      directing the search get word fastest when the child is found. It ends up
      acting rather like our emergency-vehicle point-chains.

      What this takes is someone to take charge quickly, coolly, and who can
      remain organized, when people are pushing for panic. Oh, wait, that'd be
      the Constabulary :). And, as a rule, you use the Eric as your center,
      because, well, that's usually about the center of site. Better is a
      specific location everyone knows at the center, like, say, the Royal or the
      BC.

      So, under ideal circumstances, distraught parent buttonholes you about their
      lost person. You take the parent to your zero-point, gathering information
      about the lost person, and grabbing volunteers as you go. At your zero
      point, you, and ideally the parent, stay PUT and send out your volunteers in
      specific directions (or to specific locations), with the information about
      the child and with the instruction that (unless there's a medical issue),
      the child is to be brought back to the zero point, and volunteers should
      start from the zero point so they can get all the information. Obviously,
      if you have known hazard spots on site (a pond, mineshaft, a gate in a
      fenced site, etc), send people there first.

      If, in your opinion, the site becomes saturated with volunteers and the
      child still hasn't been found, or the time is getting unreasonable, that's
      when you'd start to think about the mundane experts. Obviously, we can
      search the Woodland site much faster than, say, where we were for Purg--but
      at Purg, we had more considerable natural problems that might necessitate
      getting the pros sooner.

      At least, that's my shillings and pence.

      Gwyn