2056Re: [West Constables] Re: Fire Rules for Woodland Fairgrounds

    Mar 2, 2010
      Yes, that was the rule at a couple of events, and it's a good general rule. No matter any height REQUIREMENT, not burning the grass is just plain good manners.

      From: Glenn Gorsuch <ggorsuch@...>
      To: wkconstabulary@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, March 2, 2010 2:35:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [West Constables] Re: Fire Rules for Woodland Fairgrounds

      And the mention of Fleig reminds me... (doing a Fleig-ish beard-rub, except
      mine isn't long enough). One site (and it may well have been Rancho Seco,
      or maybe down in the Scented Lands near the minimum security prison) told us
      on one occasion, instead of a specific height above ground, that they wanted
      some extra radiant heat-shielding between the firepits and their lush green
      turf. Most folks made do with just a square of plywood or some such on the
      ground beneath their 'pits...but when one person didn't have such, I believe
      it was Fleig who proposed that they take their spare (square) grill, wrap it
      a few times around with aluminum foil, and use that as a shield. Works a
      treat, and has the added bonus of being QUITE fire resistant, and reflects
      any errant heat back up, where it can do some good.

      While again, this isn't a KINGDOM rule, it's still not a bad practice,
      especially as most Regulus-style collapsable firepits DO leak ash. it's
      also a nice way to make sure that any tall weed-type things are kept out of
      the potential ignition zone, without doing yard-work.

      It's sort of ironic, because of all the many marvelous and varied things
      Fleig keeps in that van of his (up to and including a toilet plunger),
      aluminum foil isn't one of them.

      Gwyn