2049Re: [West Constables] Fire Rules for Woodland Fairgrounds

  • Glenn Gorsuch
    Mar 1, 2010
      As an addendum...and yes, a lot of this SOUNDS obvious, but as we've found
      over the years, no point is so obvious it doesn't need to be made...

      Fires need to be attended by someone responsible. If there's a firepit
      going in a camp, and no one's there to watch it, or all you hear are snores
      from a tent, or it's just someone's 6-year old...that fire needs to go out.
      Sure, take the time to make SURE someone hasn't dashed to the privy and
      back, but after a reasonable interval, do what you need to.

      Local conditions can modify these rules--to make them harsher, and almost
      never to relax them. To wit, if there's high winds, and we're all camping
      in tall dry grass...at the call of the CinC...all those fires can go out, no
      matter how high the pit is off the ground. Or...Yes, the site owner may
      have fire rings scattered about, with the plain intent that they be
      used...but we don't use them, except maybe as bases for our own firepits.

      And having two fire-suppression methods is a good idea. A fire extinguisher
      is great, but a near-by bucket of water or sand can save you having to
      replace or refill that extinguisher for just a small spark. If a chunk of
      charcoal hits the grass and it starts to blaze up or even smolder, we'd
      rather have someone act decisively with a convenient bucket of grey-water
      than hesitate to use someone's $25, non-rechargable fire extinguisher.

      Be fire-paranoid. We are OFTEN referred to in other Kingdoms as crazy,
      because we're so...dedicated in our fire-safety. But you know what? We get
      to use fires in places that most groups can't. And the few times we HAVE
      had fire issues (and yes, I can tell stories), it was the West's quick
      action and construtive fire-paranoia that saved the
      day/pavillion/camp/site...

      Gwyn

      On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM, sven gotfriedson <sven_gotfriedson@...