1380Re: [West Constables] Fire Pit Regs

    May 31, 2006
      Y'know, I think that may be one of those things that "everyone knows" even
      if it's not true. I've heard the 18" rule, too, and had taken it as gospel
      that it was in the rules, even though I've read those fire regs (and
      published them in various newsletters, both as Constable and as
      Chronicler) I don't know how many times.

      Honestly, though, I think it'd be a good rumor to let die. One of the
      meta-rules (rules *about* other rules) out there is, "never make a rule
      that you *know* won't be followed, it does nothing but weaken the rest of
      the rules." Considering the facts that A) 95% of the fire pits out there
      do *not* adhere to the 18" "rule" and B) that we'd have to force almost
      everyone to either retro-fit their pit or buy new ones in order to adhere
      to this, and C) that it doesn't really increase safety, as long as the
      rest of the fire regs are followed, it seems to me that this one would be
      better off left alone.

      Just my two centimes,
      Christophe

      > Greetings all,
      > I have a question on fire pit height. I am ashamed to say this but, I
      > had actually never read thru the fire pit reg's. I mean I know the the
      > safety rules that we enforce but it was brought to my attention that the
      > part about the pit having to be 18" off the ground is not mention in our
      > handbook or on the West kingdom web-site. I had just always assumed
      > that the regulation was there. I mean it has been beaten in to my brain
      > since I started training to be a constable in the west. Where did the
      > 18" rule come from and why is it not in the handbook. Is it more of a
      > suggestion or is it really a requirement?
      >
      > Sven
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic