1214Re: [West Constables] To troll or not to troll

  • Willeam (Aros) Grenetrewis
    Nov 8 9:15 AM
      Looks like I'm a little slow on the draw this morning, but here's my two cents. As one who could be considered both a Troll and a Stick-Jock, I don't find either particularly offensive, though I do agree with Bethia's stance that we are in fact "Constables", not Trolls. I see "Troll" as synonomous with "Gate". I can understand "Paying Troll", or "Paying at the Troll-Booth", but not "Watch your fire and keep minors from drinking because there be Trolls lurking about."

      Willeam "Aros" Grenetrewis

      Reverend Chewbacca <christophe@...> wrote:
      Ok, it's come up on the West list, so I thought I'd put it to the
      constabulary. This is a sort of informal poll.

      Do you find calling the gate, or even the constable sitting at gate,
      "Troll" or "the Troll-booth" offensive?

      No opinion
      Not offensive at all
      Mildly offensive
      Moderately offensive
      Seriously offensive

      Feel free to email me privately with your opinion, or we can discuss
      it on-list. Your choice.

      My opinion (and this isn't meant to be leading, just to start the
      discussion), I've thought of it as a cute pun since I first heard it
      at my first or second event. I've never thought of it as offensive at
      all, and never understood why it gets some people so upset.

      My two centimes,

      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

      Visit your group "wkconstabulary" on the web.

      "So may we eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may all die!"