Wisconsin inmates

  • Angie
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2008
      Hailsa,
      My name is Ember and I am currently writing to 2 Asatruar men in
      Stanley Wisconsin. They would like to form a kindred and will
      apparently have a difficult time getting it recognized in the state of
      Wisconsin.
      If anyone has any ideas or would like to learn more about these guys
      let me know I can give you their addy's so they can recieve some mail.
      I know that both of them are interested also in meeting Asawomen, of
      course.
      So please let me know..I can also show a photo of one of them. Or add
      their pictures here which would probably be a good idea. So look for my
      album.
      In Frith
      Ember
    • wade
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
        stanley is the first place i went into and have been there for about
        5 years now, was just there about 2 hours ago as well, lol. they have
        one of the largest pagan and by far pargest asatru numbers in the
        state. according to the official chapel report 11% of those
        incarcerated at stanley list themselves as pagan. good folk all
        around, the usual racist and wingnut concerns but you'll find that on
        the outside as well. if folks are interested we do have the pen pal
        project we are working to get off the ground and there are several
        folks that have written and are looking for people to coorespond
        with. the previous few messeges cover that in greater detail and we
        are a little desperate for fuctional and reliabel people to being
        doing such writting so please step up if so inclined. as to the
        kindred forming, no chance whatsoever. sadly, asatru on the inside
        has been and is only just now starting to move away from being
        dominated by the racist gangs and until such groups are not the
        dominate force in prison asatru they will have not the slightest
        chance of forming formal kindreds. other states allow such things
        (minnesota in particular) but wisconsin is a nogo. bb,
        wade

        --- In wisconsinpaganprisonministries@yahoogroups.com, "Angie"
        <ember1471@...> wrote:

        > Hailsa,
        > My name is Ember and I am currently writing to 2 Asatruar men in
        > Stanley Wisconsin. They would like to form a kindred and will
        > apparently have a difficult time getting it recognized in the state
        of
        > Wisconsin.
        > If anyone has any ideas or would like to learn more about these
        guys
        > let me know I can give you their addy's so they can recieve some
        mail.
        > I know that both of them are interested also in meeting Asawomen,
        of
        > course.
        > So please let me know..I can also show a photo of one of them. Or
        add
        > their pictures here which would probably be a good idea. So look
        for my
        > album.
        > In Frith
        > Ember

      • Marie
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
          Never say "never", Wade!  :))

          Lady Marie
        • Angie
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
            --- In wisconsinpaganprisonministries@yahoogroups.com, Marie
            <phantomojo@...> wrote:

            > Never say "never", Wade!  :))
            >
            > Lady Marie

            Hailsa Marie,
            I like your spirit... I am in great hopes that the Gods will direct us
            in all our endeavors and that in time with alot of diligence that
            perhaps the prison system will change.

            If you are interested Marie.. I have a site called Hearth and Home that
            profiles myself and our kindred and the things we are doing and working
            on. www.freewebs.com/baleyg/
          • wade m
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
              :-), i try to remain optimistic but sadly on the asatru issue i see no cause for hope, yikes that sounds a little dour even for northern folk,lol. the problem is that the vast vast majority of those that find asatru in prison find it from someone with a shaved head, '88' and neo-nazi tats that tell them some nonsense about our Gods only being interested in people whose relatives were born in some geographical location. the aryan brotherhood and a few others run just about every asatru group west of the mississippi and are making inroads to the east and every gang coordinator and security advisor in the country has the words asatru, racist gang members, and white supremists as synonims. i wish it wern't so but i've seen not a shread of evidence to the otherwise, best bet to get the real info, ask the guys that are in or have been in. what really sucks is that i've run into several handfulls of decent asatru brothers on the inside who are true to the old ways and didn't get caught up in the ignornet ravings of the nazi wannabes and they are stuck in a bad place with a bad reputation by association and not a lot of options. well, enough gloom and doom for one day, must be the weather:-). bb,
              wade

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008

                Wade,

                I agree with your statement and think that it sucks also as I am working with some fantastic men who could really use some help..but regardless are making due on their own. As a matter of fact I am engaged to one of them and he has been where these men now find themselves.

                I agree the weather can play havoc with ones mood..cheer up it'll be ok

                In Frith

                Ember

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
                  Thank you, Ember!  I have already joined your site and hope to become more familiar with your work.  I'm excited to find others of like mind.

                  Wade, please believe that I do not want to make any waves or have any type of "confrontation" - I have always admired you for doing the volunteer work that you do.  I know that in your position as a volunteer you cannot get close to any prisoners on a personal basis, but I have worked with prisoners for over 13 years and developed some very personal connections with some of them - and they are people from all different pagan perspectives.

                  I think it is a great (and dangerous) misunderstanding that Asatru is "run" or dominated by skinheads and Neo-nazis in prison.  Granted, there may be many of these types that gravitate to this religious persuasion for their own reasons - but I don't think it's fair to make determinations as to whether they deserve to have their own kindreds within the prison system because of that!  When I first came to serve the pagan group at Waupun (a maximum security facilty), there were actually SATANISTS in the group!!  If the authorities had their way, they would have used that to prove that ALL pagans (or at least the majority) are evil, wicked, and a "threat to the security of the institution" and shut down the pagan groups because of it. However, I handled the situation in my own way, and didn't have any problem with them (the Satanists).  As a matter of fact, they came to realize that they weren't really Satanists after all!

                  I have worked with a number of Heathens who are incarcerated, and NONE of them are racially motivated (although prison itself is a very racial situation all the way around, and many incarcerated individuals need to align themselves with powerful forces for safety's sake alone).  ALL of the Asatruar that I know inside are concerned about this situation and the prejudice that is reflected because of the failure of some prisoners to seperate their religious ideas from their political ones.  It is nothing but a detriment to their paganism and the legitimate practice of Asatru.  I'm surprised that you hold such strong beliefs against the idea and do not see any hope for progress in this area.  In one part of your post, you say that you have met some good Heathens, but then in the other part, you almost seem to agree with the prejudices that abound.  (And you're not even a Libra or a Pisces!! :))) 'sorry all Librans and Pisceans ... that's just a joke!)

                  Asatruars deserve no less than Wiccans as far as religious practice within the walls are concerned!  Someday they WILL have it!!

                  I guess we need more Heathen volunteers to write to, work with, support, and even volunteer to minister in person to these incarcerated brothers and sisters.  That way, the new Heathens won't be misinformed by others who have their own personal agenda.  I don't know ... it's a serious concern - and should be - for ALL pagans, that this type of prejudice exists even within the pagan community!

                  Peace and Blessings,
                  Lady Marie
                • Angela Heslip
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008

                    Hailsa Lady Marie,

                     You are so right about your comments. I have in some cases had my mail returned to me and I not being a racist had to look inside it for any propaganda that would be deemed as such..there wasn't unless you can count the 9 noble virtues and an excerpt from the Havamal as racist. I would love to be able to go to the prisons myself but circumstances being as they are I am unable to at this time. What I find is a crying shame is that almost every other denomination is able to practice their religions..muslims can wear theirheadwear..even in women's prison they wear black wraps on their heads as to not show their hair. Christians have their crosses and the majority of chapel time and the library is primarily suited to Christian theology( I know this because I have been there myself for 2 yrs.) There was not a single Asatruar on the compound, myself included at that time. I'm sure there were pagan but you wouldn't have noticed..there were no services for them. The most nature based religion we had there was Native American and there was about 15 of those. We need people who are strong and uplifting becase these men look to us to bring their spirits up..to believe that something good will happen. Some of them are lifers or might as well be...are we supposed to tell them that there is no hope..that they might as well give up the fight and let the government make them slaves as the Catholic church did to our people almost a 1000 years ago. I think not!!! not on my watch!!! If I have to write to every one of them myself I will! Let me tell you a story..... When I was beginninjg to find my way in Asatru and doing alot of meditating on the runes andmy place within Asatru, my Godi asked me to write a myth of  myself and how I became a warrior for my people. Now at first I only believed that men were warriors, that war was nothing but swords and bloodshed. I didn't see how I was a warrior.  I went to my room and began to meditate one night not really on anything in particular..I believe I was thinking of Odin's sacrifice and the sacrifices of my own ancestors. I must of fell asleep because I began to dream of a journey..I lost my family and was wandering alone and a wolf came to me and began to teach me the runes and at one point the runes Kenaz burned into my skin  and I was told by a voice I know was Odin to "be a light unto my people, be warmth and comfort to them when all around them is darkness..that is your path as a warrior for the folk"

                    I have wrote this myth and call it "Embers" When a fire goes out the embers are what remains so a new fire can be created and that is exactly what we are trying to do..so I say either warm yourself, add kindling, or make room for another. Because this cause has no room for those who don't feel it's call in their ancestral folk soul that is how detrimental it is.... I don't want Asatru to be confused and hated and oppressed by neo-nazi zealots and self-hating, ego-tripping christians.

                    My father told me one time..either you are standing or you are sitting...well ya know what I was sitting for so long..I almost forgot what it felt like to stand....Now I Choose to Stand!!!

                    Ves Hail! Far Hail!

                    In Frith

                    Ember Sagasdottir

                    Gythia, Ansis Bru

                    and Northern Path Circle of Tradition

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 18, 2008
                      Hailsa Ember!!

                      You keep on STANDING, Sister!!!  I am proud of you!!!

                      I think that you & I could swap a whole LOT of stories!!  Already, I feel that we have much in common.

                      I think that the things you have stated in these posts will be an "eye-opener" to many of the members in this group (at least I hope they will be)!  People NEED to open their eyes and see that we are all on the same road - and just taking different paths to get there.  There is no room for prejudice and ego-tripping, although there sure seems to be a lot of that going on even amongst pagans these days.  I'm pretty "old school" (or just plain old :))) ), and I've lived many years as a pagan - way back when it wasn't "cool" or "easy" to do that.

                      Thanks for your open and candid input in this group.  You are a most welcome breath of fresh air!

                      A fellow SPIRITUAL WARRIOR,
                      Lady Marie

                    • wade m
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 20, 2008
                        thanks ember and lady marie, it is really damn good to have other opinions getting expressed here, a lot of times i get the yelling into the void feeling about the whole prison ministries stuff. anyways, the weather is better, life is good, lol. couple o'things;
                        lady marie, you mentioned that from the tone of my writting i seem to agree with some of the prejudices shared by the corrections system, sadly for once email has done my tone justice:-). whenever i've gone into a new prison i would get a huge number of guys the first few days and a large number would be self declared asatru. after explaining my take on racism(and the fact that nordic folk are one of the most racially diverse people on the planet due to their umm 'glory years') and the fact that i don't tolerate anything to do with the aryan brotherhood or such nonsesne almost all the asatru disapear. even those that stay or show up occasially will sometimes slip into racist speak or propose rituals that have very poorly discuised racial overtones(wiccan and pagan folk are not immune to this either i'm afraid). most of those i've run into on the outside are rather forthright to the point of be proud of their racism and that of the other asatru brothers. could just be poor luck on my part, i don't know. on the flip side, those that are the exception to this are usually quite exceptional and a honor to the path. i wish them the best of luck.
                        personally i follow an Earth based path with some asatru tossed in, my patron God and preaty much the only one i really work with is Tyr so i'm rather clear on what asatru is and is not(at least i think i am) and what i see 90% of self defined asatru doing in prison has nothing to do with the northern path. wish it were different and i have faith the tide will turn on that but for now my experiance and gut agrees with most what the d.o.c. says about asatru in wisconsin's prisons.
                        there were a few other things but now i've forgotton, shall write more later, bb,