Intro

  • Manda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2008
      I figured it was finally time to make an intro.  I've been lurking here for months, and I gotta say I love what you guys accomplish.

      My name is Manda, and I'm from Ohio.  I'm not Wiccian, but a Druid (and Asatru), and this is where the problems start to crop up.  Ar nDroaicht Fein (www.adf.org if you're unfamiliar) doesn't really have a prison ministry program set up, there are a few clergy who visit facilities but if you're not clergy you can't really do much, at least how they have it set up.  I was talking to a prisoner my friend goes to visit, but when the head of the prison commity found out they asked me to stop.  Being unclear of the situation, I did...but I feel horrible about it.  We don't really have too many members in need of penpals right now, so I'm branching out.

      Like I said, I've been watching you guys for awhile...and you're one of the most active prison ministry groups I'm aware of (at least email list wise), and since I'm not part of any groups otherwise this is a nice place for me to get ideas and just generally see how it's done.

      What I'm wondering is...where to start?  I don't really have anyone within ADF to work with right now, so I'm at a loss.  Are there good books to learn with (for myself to learn about prison ministry?)  Also, since we're totally lacking support for our own prisoners, are there some good correspondence courses out there that would be a good template for starting a Druid version?

      Basically, I'm just looking for a starting point...some good references and knowledge to help get something going around me and in my organization since I'm not happy with what is offered.

      Thanks for any help,

      Manda
    • Marie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008
        Hi Manda!

        Over the years, I have put together a rather extensive book list of reading material that is related to prisoners or prison ministry.  I will forward you a copy of this bibliography off list.  Many of these books are available from the public library, Amazon.com, or book dealers of your choice.

        Best of Luck,
        Lady Marie - TO4W
      • Manda
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008
          That would be great.  Thank you!

          ~Manda
        • Marshall Larson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008
            Marie,
            I'd be interested in those books as well. Would you be willing to post your bibliogliography on the list?

            Marshall