Re: [wisconsinpaganprisonministries] back to buisness

  • wade m
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2008
      seems like we are doing the feast and faimine approuch here, tons of email and interest for a burst and then nothing, how paganlike of us:-). core person still needed, demand still high, i still can not be that core person due to previously stated restraints. is there anyone out there that is even thinking about it or know of any person or group that could possibly step into the core/central role? we are stuck in several ways until then so if folks are interested in seeing this move forward we need to expand our base of people here. i've exhasted it from my end, people are getting tired of me emailing and asking them to get invovled and whenever i ask face to face i'm getting the smiley brushoff. so, needing some help here. bb,
      wade

      Marshall Larson <marshall2173@...> wrote:
      Mike,

      I think that we should let volunteers know that if they are on probation, parole or have any other reason that they shouldn't have contact with inmates, they shouldn't.  But it is the transparency of the letters and responses that is the real security.  The letters and the responses will be uploaded to the group and the committee will read them and if there is anything inappropriate, it won't go anywhere.

      Also, I personally think that we shouldn't turn anyone away, no matter what their crime or what they believe, but some may disagree as you do.  That is another reason for the committee:  to vote on how we should proceed on different issues.

      Blessings,

      Marshall

      mike marcusen <mmarcusen005@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Ok, I agree with that, but as a pagan group wouldn't it also be a security
      need to screen the volunteers as to their competency in dealing with convicts?
      refering people to social interaction with inmates in itself has major
      liability issues to it.
      If we don't want to feel responseable, we'd also have need within reason to
      question the naive as to them not falling victom to a smooth talking pen pal-
      conn. I'd be interested to hear your ideas on how to structure something like
      that. As a wiccan, I would find it hard to except someone as pagan if their
      record included extreme violence to woman, or major sexual assault to woman, or
      small children.
      We do have the tennets of the craft, people make bad choices yes, as did I, but
      I've never hurt a child or a woman, for such things, the christians practise
      forgivness- not us. My way is natures way. We owe it to the pagans of the group to
      exclude those who pose an obvious threat to people they come into contact.
      Do you want a wiccan lady getting a pen pal thats doing time for violence to woman or multiple rapes?
      I don't call that structure, I call it respecting the group. I'm sure some will disagree with that, but we're pagans here. If ya really hurt woman, or children,
      Your not pagan to me, not a guy that made a mistake, your a lower life form, not
      even human to me. Maybe there are different standards for what different people
      are willing to call a witch.
      I have alot of attitude, but I can honnestly tell every lady of this group,
      if you've ever been hurt or raped by a guy, it didn't happen to you around me!!!
      and if it ever does, the guy killed me first!!! A couple have tried such things
      by me before, and I've served time on a couple of major batteries too.
      People have called those charges part of my mistakes in life. I call them the
      only good deeds I was ever prosecuted for.
                                              Blessings. mike

      Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:52:29
      From: mike marcusen <mmarcusen005@ yahoo.com>
      To: <wisconsinpaganpriso nministries@ yahoogroups. com>

       I agree that a system is needed, but thats not structure, thats being
      organized. Its one thing to develop the means to handle vast mail,
      but all the fear, and need for anonimity is the same crap the rest of
      the system is doing to inmates, and the same society does when they get out.
      Even after they serve the time, the sentence in society isn't over.
      If they get out, and convicts are all who will ever except their friendship,
      their one step closer to a new crime from day one.
      if there not good enuff to be your friends on the street, why hide now,
      and pretend to be what you would never except if they stood before you.
      the world is full of dangerous people.
      you have good attitude marshall, but if you can't except them, your not gonna be able to help them either, i can say that, because i was where they are now, before i had a
      wife, kids, family, a good job. One of the hardest things when ya get out is
      having good people to steer you in a good direction. If nobody decent will
      except you, your back to the crowd that ya had when ya went to prison, which
      usually leads down the same road again.
                                               Blessed be. mike

      ----- Original Message ---- From: Marshall Larson <marshall2173@ yahoo.com> To: "wisconsinpaganpris onministries@ yahoogroups. com" <wisconsinpaganpris o nministries@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 7:38:42 AM Subject: FW: Re: RE: [wisconsinpaganpris onministries] back to buisness

      ----- Original Message ----- Subject: Re: RE: [wisconsinpaganpris onministries] back to buisness Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:36:34 From: Marshall Larson < marshall2173@ yahoo.com > To: mmarcusen005@ yahoo.com < mmarcusen005@ yahoo.com > To write 1 letter, it doesn&#39;t take any kind of structure. But I think there is more than 1 incarcerated individual. In order to keep this thing going there needs to be structure and organization. Even though Lady Marie is doing great work, she isn&#39;t reaching everyone and by her own admission, isn&#39;t able to scale up her
      efforts. We are trying to work out a plan that will reach a large number of inmates and however we&#39;ll meaning, an individual can&#39;t reach do it alone. Blessings, Marshall mike marcusen wrote: > To all my fellow witches- In perfect love and perfect trust, I am mike marcusen, > 1221 main st. marinette Wi 54143. Of all the people I'd hide from in > anonimity, you my craft brothers and sisters, whether your inmate or not, > are not people I fear or need to hide from, and for those who lack the > courage to stand in the open before those of your own religion, I would > remind you that millions have burned in the name of the religion for which > you stand. > In my answer to Lady Marie, Yes Highpriestess, their are witches willing to > stand in the open and risk all to help thy fellow witches. > Does it really take a structure, and commity to write a nice
      letter to thy > fellow witch in prison. Millions of criminals on the streets, and yet we need fear the misled of our own path while they sit in a cage? > Since I've started reading these posts, months have gone by with many a witch in > wisconsin still siting in a cage. I'm told many on this site volunteer, and go into > different prisons, and yet for those of us who'd write and help them, their > names remain unknown. >                       This is the trust of people who call themselves witches? >                       SAD!!! > ----- Original Message ---- From: Marshall Larson <marshall2173@ yahoo.com > To: "wisconsinpaganpris
      onministries@ yahoogroups. com" <wisconsinpaganpris o nministries@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:39:31 AM Subject: FW: RE: [wisconsinpaganpris onministries] back to buisness > ----- Original Message ----- Subject: RE: [wisconsinpaganpris onministries] back to buisness Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:49:15 From: Marshall Larson < marshall2173@ yahoo.com > To: deeplyrooted75@ yahoo.com < deeplyrooted75@ yahoo.com > Wade, What I envision is that incoming letters are scanned, someone volunteers is assigned a letter to respond to, the response is either uploaded or typed in, printed out by Central and sent back to the inmate. This actually speeds up the response time and makes the responses transparent too. Also, informational items that we have > on file can be easily printed
      and sent with the letter. If it is a request for information it can just be sent from Central. If someone wants to handwrite a response that individual could scan and upload it or send it to Central for scanning and uploading. Are there any rules we need to be aware of for writing letters? If so, we can incorporate them into guidelines for our project. Anyone who wants to submit contact information for there group or Pagan 101 information for distribution is more that welcome to. Anything else anyone can think of? Blessings, Marshall wade wrote: > sorry for the delay, life just keeps jumping in the way. > po box; great idea to have both the Temple of the 4 Winds and another > one up and running, things fall apart and a little redundencey > couldn't hurt plue i believe Lady Marie pointed out she doensn't > nessasarily have the time nor support to handle a > large uptic in > letters. i think it was marshall with the idea of copying
      all > incoming and outgoing letters into the file section in order to have > absolute tranperiancy in what we are doing, which seems vital to > cover all the asses invovled on both ends. so, from what i can see, > in order to make this idea work we need: at least one person to act > in a central location as the paper shuffler and scanner, someone who > will be checking the pobox several times a week, scanning in requests > and shuffling them off to the writters/responder and then mailing the > responces. technical question, can the letter be scanned and then > sent ot the responder, the responder then sends the response to > central, then central mails it? ideally there would be a number of > people to help at this central location bt one dedicatd person could > possible swing it. secondly > we will need a list of people who are > willing and able to do the actual writting and have a list of how > many
      letter they can/will deal with at a time. we could get more > detailed desinations in the future(asatru, celtic, wicca, release, > etc) but for now i think it'll have to just be 'general response'. > fundraising; we will need some cash for startup, the pobox stamps, > and envelopes. i'm wiling to front $75 and will commit to another $50 > a year after that. i believe that asking for stamps or sellf adress > stamped envelopes from the guys inside would be actable assuming we > can be consistant in getting back to them. > so, who's in?:-) anyone here willing to step up into that vital roel > in central, anyone willing to comitt to responding to a certin number > of letters? i'd love to see this launch in the next few months but > would much rather have > the groundwork laid well before we jump in. > hope all are well and dry, bb, > wade > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ Be a
      better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ > Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR
      8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

    • Marshall Larson

            Message 5 of 11 , May 10, 2008
              Wade & others,

              WI Pagan Prison Ministries currently provides pen pal services to the incarcerated and newly released in Wisconsin. Other services are being planned for the future.

              WIPPM will run by committee. All volunteer letter writers will be on the committee. It is the responsibility of the committee to ensure that letters get assigned and answered in a timely fashion, that there isn't anything questionable in the letters or responses and appropriately deal with the situation if there is, evaluate potential volunteers, and make decisions on all things related to the group. Decisions will be made by the committee by majority vote.

              Volunteers shall not be on probation, parole or any visiting lists for any DOC facilities.

              All letters, incoming and outgoing, will be scanned, uploaded and kept on file for committee evaluation as well as future reference and printed out for return mailing from central PO Box location.

              Anyone who would like to volunteer should send a request to our main contact email:

              wipaganprisonministries@...

              The PO Box will be set up on Monday.  Let me know if you have any other questions.