welcome!

  • wade
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2007
      great to see some folks are interested in this topic, i've tried
      getting something like this going a few times over the past 4 years
      and i guess it just wasn't the right time.
      some areas of discussion;

      what to do when pagan folk get out of prison and want to get invovled
      with 'mainstream' paganism? every single guy inside that is going to
      get released asks me for contact info on who to get ahold of in order
      to get in touch and involved with other pagans. i've been saying
      witchvox and little else. are there individuals or groups that are
      willing to be contact points for such a thing that anyone knows about
      in the state? larger question, how is the larger pagan community
      going to deal with the huge numbers of ex-cons that will be showing
      up to events and groups? comfort/security issues? what do we as a
      community need to start setting up in order to be functional in this
      regard?

      vollunteers; there is a huge demand for vollunteers to go into
      prisons right now as the guys can't meet unless an outsider comes in
      to lead/facilitate. you can go in a prison up to once a week for
      religious services, or once a month or whatever works for you. this
      is a greatly needed thing that i can't emphasis enough. i can go more
      into that if there is any glimmer of interest.

      correspondence courses and contact with those inside by those
      outside; there is a recurring request my many guys for contact with
      pagan folk on the outside, penpals and the like. this is a very risky
      and potentially dangerous area in which there have been problems with
      in the past. there are currently no groups i know of that offer free
      or resonablly prices courses or pen pal programs. any interest there?

      materials; books are the main thing, but trifolds/pamflets, insense,
      and other misc items are always needed. thats just in the 7 places i
      go, i don't know what other facilities have. also, a list of movies
      that could be watched when there is no vollunteer. they have to be pg-
      13 or less in nature and have a definitive spiritual/religious theme
      or purpose to them. i keep coming up blank on this one and its
      starting to get to me so if anyone knows or has one please pipe up.

      are there any questions about the whole prison pagan thing in
      general? i know i'm kind of just jumping in here not knowing where
      other folks are at, perhaps people could post why they joined in here
      and what they are looking to do/learn? thanks much for showing up no
      matter what the reason:-). bb,
      wade
    • Marshall Larson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007
        Wow!  That's a whole load of topics that could fill gigs of memory!  I will just throw some more food for thought out there.

        As for ex-cons coming to events, there will be some mixed feelings among people.  Pagans are naturally accepting of most anyone.  But Pagan parents worry about their children.  As Youth Minister at Circle, I have had a few parents ask about background checks for event attendees.  While I understand that they are only thinking of the safety of their children, it does seem to go against what Pagans are about.  If recently released inmates begin coming to events in large numbers, there may be issues, especially at events with children.

        I suppose with inmates or people in general, there will be ones that cause trouble and ones that don't. The ones that do will be dealt with.  The downside is that negative actions may result in blanket policies at events.

        Just more fuel for discussion!

        Marshall

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
          At 01:16 PM 12/20/2007, you wrote:

          >materials; books are the main thing, but trifolds/pamflets, insense,
          >and other misc items are always needed.

          Hello, and thank you for the invite to your list. I believe that I
          was sent this invitation because I have expressed an interest in
          helping with a book drive for the pagan prison ministry. I do have
          some books available. Unfortunately, however, they are snowed in, in
          storage. When better weather comes I will be able to get to them.

          I had also volunteered to be a location where people could donate
          books to within the Sauk/Baraboo area, and then I would get the books
          to .... ???? ... where? in order to get them to Wade for the prison ministry.

          I suggest that Wade and I do some problem solving as to how I would
          actually get books to him, and then I would be willing to dig mine
          out of storage and also -- with permission and support from Wade or
          this group -- conduct a pagan book drive in the Baraboo area. I
          believe there are a number of people in the area who might be willing
          to get involved with such; I do have a few contacts which I could
          approach with this idea.

          So, that is what I can do, and also what I need in order to do it. I
          need a complete delivery chain so that I know where I can send the
          books on to. And, I need some sort of more official support before I
          start anything as ambitious as a pagan book drive. Given those two
          things, I will work hard to get you books!

          Never thirst,
          Linda

        • marshall2173
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
            I like the idea of a Pagan Book Drive. I would be willing to provide
            transportation of books since we go all over the place with our
            moving business.

            Marshall

            --- In wisconsinpaganprisonministries@yahoogroups.com, Linda
            <Linda@...> wrote:

            > At 01:16 PM 12/20/2007, you wrote:
            >
            > >materials; books are the main thing, but trifolds/pamflets,
            insense,
            > >and other misc items are always needed.
            >
            > Hello, and thank you for the invite to your list. I believe that I
            > was sent this invitation because I have expressed an interest in
            > helping with a book drive for the pagan prison ministry. I do have
            > some books available. Unfortunately, however, they are snowed in,
            in
            > storage. When better weather comes I will be able to get to them.
            >
            > I had also volunteered to be a location where people could donate
            > books to within the Sauk/Baraboo area, and then I would get the
            books
            > to .... ???? ... where? in order to get them to Wade for the prison
            ministry.

            > I suggest that Wade and I do some problem solving as to how I would
            > actually get books to him, and then I would be willing to dig mine
            > out of storage and also -- with permission and support from Wade or
            > this group -- conduct a pagan book drive in the Baraboo area. I
            > believe there are a number of people in the area who might be
            willing
            > to get involved with such; I do have a few contacts which I could
            > approach with this idea.
            >
            > So, that is what I can do, and also what I need in order to do it.
            > need a complete delivery chain so that I know where I can send the
            > books on to. And, I need some sort of more official support before
            > start anything as ambitious as a pagan book drive. Given those two
            > things, I will work hard to get you books!
            >
            > Never thirst,
            > Linda
            >

            > --
            12/22/2007 2:02 PM

          • gail
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
              --- In wisconsinpaganprisonministries@yahoogroups.com, "wade"
              <deeplyrooted75@...> wrote:

              > great to see some folks are interested in this topic, i've tried
              > getting something like this going a few times over the past 4 years
              > and i guess it just wasn't the right time.
              > some areas of discussion;
              >
              > what to do when pagan folk get out of prison and want to get invovled
              > with 'mainstream' paganism? every single guy inside that is going to
              > get released asks me for contact info on who to get ahold of in order
              > to get in touch and involved with other pagans. i've been saying
              > witchvox and little else. are there individuals or groups that are
              > willing to be contact points for such a thing that anyone knows about
              > in the state? larger question, how is the larger pagan community
              > going to deal with the huge numbers of ex-cons that will be showing
              > up to events and groups? comfort/security issues? what do we as a
              > community need to start setting up in order to be functional in this
              > regard?
              >
              > vollunteers; there is a huge demand for vollunteers to go into
              > prisons right now as the guys can't meet unless an outsider comes in
              > to lead/facilitate. you can go in a prison up to once a week for
              > religious services, or once a month or whatever works for you. this
              > is a greatly needed thing that i can't emphasis enough. i can go more
              > into that if there is any glimmer of interest.
              >
              > correspondence courses and contact with those inside by those
              > outside; there is a recurring request my many guys for contact with
              > pagan folk on the outside, penpals and the like. this is a very risky
              > and potentially dangerous area in which there have been problems with
              > in the past. there are currently no groups i know of that offer free
              > or resonablly prices courses or pen pal programs. any interest there?
              >
              > materials; books are the main thing, but trifolds/pamflets, insense,
              > and other misc items are always needed. thats just in the 7 places i
              > go, i don't know what other facilities have. also, a list of movies
              > that could be watched when there is no vollunteer. they have to be pg-
              > 13 or less in nature and have a definitive spiritual/religious theme
              > or purpose to them. i keep coming up blank on this one and its
              > starting to get to me so if anyone knows or has one please pipe up.
              >
              > are there any questions about the whole prison pagan thing in
              > general? i know i'm kind of just jumping in here not knowing where
              > other folks are at, perhaps people could post why they joined in here
              > and what they are looking to do/learn? thanks much for showing up no
              > matter what the reason:-). bb,
              > wade

              hey wade,

              i'm always interested in the pagan mimistries subject. i did volunteer
              for awhile, and i found it very enlightening!! i'm happy to find and
              donate what i can, please keep a list going and i just know i can find
              what you may need! i have really mixed feelings about the subjects you
              brought up. the inmates are very skilled manipulators (sp?) and
              anyone who volunteers to write or visit or lead the groups or sponser
              the newly released, really should have training. even the basics of
              doc rules and why they have them. the do's and don'ts and the politics
              of the chaplains,etc. what can you teach us? BB HRV
            • Marie
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
                I am also still interested in being part of a Pagan Book Drive, but am still waiting for more information about how this will be done and organized.  Our Temple here in Milwaukee is ready and willing to participate!

                Happy Winter To All!
                Lady Marie
                www.alluniqueart.com