Error Message

  • coosbaylumberco
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2011
      I may be in over my head, but keep getting an error message when converting certain files. I think it is memory related but have checked INFO and found the requirement quite low, as am running WinTopo 1.72 and version 1.66 in Windows 98 with 256 RAM and is reported only 29 Meg. to handle.

      I get the error messge well in to the vectorization process.

      Am I right?

      Wm.
    • WinTopo
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2011
        If you are getting the error  "Out of storage in new image" then your machine is unable to allocate enough memory to process the image. Although you have a 256Mb machine, you may find that most of that 256Mb is already being used by Windows and other applications.

        In WinTopo the "Image Information" window gives an indication of the memory required to process a particular image.  If yours says 29Mb to process then it probably also says 29Mb to load (total of 58Mb). Additionally you may use up another 29Mb in undo storage if you've performed another operation before doing the One-Touch Vectorization (total of 87Mb).

        For machines that are tight on memory, you can reduce the processing requirement by going to the One-Touch Vectorisation Options and selecting the "Show Thinned Image (to save memory)" option on the 'Raster Thinning' tab, prior to performing the One-Touch Vectorisation.

        From: WinTopo Support Team

        --- In wintopo@yahoogroups.com, "coosbaylumberco" <coosbaylumberco@...> wrote:

        > I may be in over my head, but keep getting an error message when converting certain files. I think it is memory related but have checked INFO and found the requirement quite low, as am running WinTopo 1.72 and version 1.66 in Windows 98 with 256 RAM and is reported only 29 Meg. to handle.
        >
        > I get the error messge well in to the vectorization process.
        > Error meassage read:>> TOPO>> Out of storage in new image.
        >
        > Am I right?
        >
        > Wm.

      • Per Corell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2011
          Hi I was surprised as I forgot I joined this list. But my experience is that the vectorising rutines ask a lot of computing on a huge amount of data, so to pick the right parameters are paramount for a good result.
          Then it could be I am quite alian in this fora, -- I hand draw the lines as I use the vecttors the WinTopo generate, to feed my cutter plotter --- and there the vectors generated where two colors meet, make no sense. They do in Corel Draw, but those vectors are used for a compleatly other porpus, than what a plotter need.   Today I use AutoCAD where I have my own that was given to me by AutoDesk becaurse I back then made a lot of small application in AutoLisp, and I use AutoCAD becaurse I know all the edditing possible with polylines, how to use a pen plotter, becaurse I can write my own applications --- WinTopo  has it's limitations but sometimes I use it for quite simple tasks and to generate DXF files to import into AutoCAD.
        • coosbaylumberco
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2011
            I recently tried that.

            Am now getting 77 MB. to run (off very same "trimmed" image) and still getting the error message on same computer. As I thin it out, is this number only going to get bigger? Used to have near zero problems on original computer, but it had way more than 300 RAM and gave out a few years ago. Izzat why was mentioned back here years ago to go with more RAM than a faster computer?

            Wm.