Newsletter

  • eGroups
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 6, 2000
      WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
      June 5, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 18

      Summer is here! Time for fresh fruity wines, for sangria, and for
      hanging out by the water enjoying the glories of nature!

      CONTENTS:
      * PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
      * MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
      * WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
      * CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
      * WINE & CHEESE

      PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
      Yes, it nearly wiped out all vineyards in Europe. Not bad for one
      little louse. Still, is there a good side to that?
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa052900.htm

      Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
      <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm">
      http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm</A>

      MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
      As wineries increase the amount of information on their labels
      and websites, often winedrinkers see that a wine has undergone
      malolactic fermentation to achieve its current flavor. What is this
      kind of fermentation, and what does it do to a wine?
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa060500.htm

      WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
      New wines added weekly - what is grenache, or sekt?
      Just who would drink Bull's Blood?
      http://wine.about.com/library/bl_winebya.htm

      CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
      http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_ch_top5.htm

      WINE & CHEESE
      http://wine.about.com/library/bl_cheese.htm

      Forum Quote of the Week:
      "I think that "responsibility" is one of the key words in your
      post. We spend far too much time shielding our children from
      both the good and bad of life, giving them every benefit,
      without teaching them that resonsibility goes along with
      privilege. As many people have posted on this topic, when
      they were exposed to alcohol in a responsible setting (home),
      they learned the right and wrong of it. Exposure to things
      good and bad are the only way we can learn what is,
      and is not, acceptable. "
      JOEMI
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=197.26&ctx=0

      Not only did Sangria top the wine types pages this week,
      but it topped all pages on my entire site. Maybe I should
      come up with a sangria based on every type of wine ;)

      #1: Sangria
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
      #2: Champagne
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
      #3: Bordeaux
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

      My merlot plants are growing quite nicely, and plans for
      summer include a trip out to Long Island and to a few
      other wineries in the area. Hopefully Napa Valley as
      well! If you're looking to cook up some fun, try out
      http://frenchfood.about.com and
      http://italianfood.about.com!

      Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
      http://wine.about.com/
      wine.guide@...

      Enjoy these tips? Send them along to a friend!
    • eGroups
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 20, 2000
        LISA'S WINE NEWS
        June 19, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 19

        What a blast we had in Long Island! Stephen from
        winestuff.com was the perfect host, and we tried
        more wines than should be possible in one day :)
        To top it off, he brought out a 1978 Chateau
        Latour with dinner! Ah, if only every weekend could
        be like that...

        CONTENTS:
        * LONG ISLAND WINERIES
        * WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
        * CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
        * CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
        * WINES OF THAILAND

        LONG ISLAND WINERIES
        They're beginning to rival Sonoma and Napa Valley -
        and their fantastic location makes it a perfect place
        to visit. What is it about these wines?
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

        Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
        <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm">
        http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm</A>

        WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
        Yup, we listened to this fantastic novel on tape while we
        drove around Long Island. Set long before wineries populated
        this playground of the rich, the inhabitants of the glittering
        world had a thing for French wines.
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

        CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
        Are crystals in your wine a sign of a deep flaw, or are they
        something naturally found in most wines?
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061200.htm

        CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_chartreuse.htm

        WINES OF THAILAND
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061400.htm

        FROM THE WINE FORUM
        "I don't like the box wine for a number of reasons but
        this is what really gets me!!!!!

        Wine has that mystic about it being in a bottle ....
        you can see it first off. second, it's the process of
        uncorking it and the sound of the "pop" of the cork.
        Third it's the smell of the cork and the wine itself.
        Forth it's the taste, (just like coke tastes better
        from a bottle)

        All of your senses are used when wine is packaged in
        a bottle. Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch, Smell they are
        all there!!!!

        I also hate that some wineries in California are
        starting to try screw tops for there bottles. There
        goes that mystic thing again, I won't even go there !!!!!!"
        Jester
        http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.3&ctx=0

        POPULAR WINE PAGES
        Sangria seems permanently stuck at the top of my wine pages'
        ranking, so I thought I'd rotate a bit. Here are the top three
        Sangria recipes people seem interested in.

        #1: Basic Sangria
        http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_basic.htm
        #2: Brenda's Sangria (our About Dating Guide)
        http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_brenda.htm
        #3: A Simple Sangria
        http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_simple.htm

        If you're looking for a fun summertime trip, don't forget that About
        has many local guides ready to help out. For starters, try out
        http://longisland.about.com New York, and
        http://northbeach.about.com of San Francisco!

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2000
          LISA'S WINE NEWS
          August 2, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 20

          Yikes, what a month! First my son was down with Walking Pneumonia
          for a week. A few days after he recovered, my boyfriend and I
          motorcycled down to Virginia for a rally and to tour the wineries.
          The next day I had a fever of 103, all thoughts of wineries were
          gone, and I barely made it back to Mass. The next few weeks are a
          blur, but I'm now recovering and slowly getting through my email
          pile. If you're waiting on an answer from me,
          I should get to you soon!

          CONTENTS:
          * THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
          * THE AROMA OF WINE
          * BASTILLE DAY
          * WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
          * CALORIES IN WINE

          THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
          For many, summer means trips to the local winery to sample
          the wines and wander the vineyards. Just what can you learn
          about those green orbs hanging on the vines?
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa080200.htm

          Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
          you using AOL? Read it on line here:
          <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm">
          http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm</A>

          THE AROMA OF WINE
          When a wine drinker raises a glass of wine, he or she often
          stops to swirl the wine, and then breathe in deeply of its
          aroma. Often this tells far more about a wine than an actual
          taste of it. Why is that?
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa072600.htm

          BASTILLE DAY
          Bastille Day in France celebrates the day, on July 14th, 1789,
          when the Bastille was stormed by the people.
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa071400.htm

          WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
          http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

          CALORIES IN WINE
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

          FROM THE WINE FORUM
          "Sniffing the cork is pure restaurant snobbish nonsense.

          The somellier should check the wine is not bad; they can
          do that by look - they have more experience of that wine
          than the customer does, and *they* can sniff the cork -
          as it would seem bad manners for them to drink the wine
          before you!

          For the restaurant to hand the cork to you and wait
          expectantly is nonsense. I have come across this more in
          the US than elsewhere. If I am at all dubious about the
          wine, then I need to taste it."
          Pinotage
          http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.29&ctx=0

          If you're looking for summery things to do, don't forget that
          About has many guides ready to help out. Take a look at
          http://surfing.about.com and
          http://sailing.about.com/!

          Let me know what your summer winery touring plans are - I always
          love to hear about people's winery visits!

          Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
          wine.guide@...
          http://wine.about.com

          Did you enjoy this newsletter? Share it with a friend!
        • eGroups
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 29, 2000
            LISA'S WINE NEWS
            August 28, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 21

            This is definitely the month for visiting wineries!
            I've been to quite a few this month, plus wine festivals
            and more. Have you been roaming your home area,
            looking for wines to try? Let us know in the forum
            which you liked, and why!
            We'd love to hear about your exploits.

            CONTENTS:
            * WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
            * MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
            * DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
            * LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
            * FLAG HILL IN NH

            WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
            While some people take mega-doses of antioxidant pills,
            the wine drinkers sit back and sip another glass of Chianti.
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800.htm

            Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
            you using AOL? Read it on line here:
            <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm">
            http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm</A>

            MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
            Summer and fall are perfect motorcyling weather. Are you a
            two-wheeler? If so, read about our travels and learn more
            about how to combine these two pleasures safely.
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa081400.htm

            DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
            Dessert wines, ice wines, spiced wines and more from this
            winery on the Connecticut-New York border.
            http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/ct/bl_ct_digraz_0800.htm

            LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
            http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

            FLAG HILL IN NH
            http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/nh/bl_nh_fh_800.htm

            FROM THE WINE FORUM
            "The connoisseurs held the ruby vintage up to the sunlight,
            swirled it in their glasses, and put their noses to the rim.
            "It smells like cow dung!" one exclaimed. "It won't be easy
            to swallow this one," another said. But so strong was the
            temptation to sample a 300-year-old bottle of wine recovered
            from a 17th-century Dutch warship that none of the experts on
            the panel was able to resist Friday. Indeed, they were in
            for a flavorful surprise. "There's a hint of fruit in it -
            of orange peel, marmalade and caramel. It's surprisingly
            good," said wine commentator Lucette Faber, swishing the
            liquid in her mouth as a fetid odor wafted through the
            tasting room.

            Yikes...would any of you have done it???"
            NYOUTZ
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=303.1&ctx=0

            Wine and food are the perfect combo! I always enjoy
            Italian Food
            http://italianfood.about.com/mbody.htm
            and
            French Food
            http://frenchfood.about.com/mbody.htm

            Are you near a winery that is going into harvest mode? Let
            us know what you see, and what they say the wines will be like!