Newsletter

  • eGroups
    Message 1 of 22 , May 2, 2000
      WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
      May 1, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 17

      Happy May Day! May Day should be a time of celebration
      for young and new, as spring once again returns to the
      world! This spring, learn more about wine and winemaking,
      and share your thoughts!

      CONTENTS:
      * MAKING DANDELION WINE
      * THE WINES OF BELTANE
      * BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
      * VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
      * THE WINES OF HUNGARY

      MAKING DANDELION WINE
      You've got the pretty yellow flowers - with a few other
      common household items, you could be making your own
      delicious dandelion wine!
      http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_dan00.htm

      Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
      <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm">
      http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm</A>

      THE WINES OF BELTAINE
      May Day - or Beltaine - is a centuries-old holiday with a rich
      tradition involving wine. Learn more about it, and what can help
      you to celebrate in style!
      http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/encyc/weekly/aa050199.htm

      BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
      Last fall we did a photoessay of making Chianti from a kit, to help
      the many new winemakers out there. It's finally gone into bottles!
      http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_ch99.htm

      VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000.htm

      THE WINES OF HUNGARY
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

      Forum Quote of the Week:
      "Some plastic corks come in disconcerting colors
      (I've seen blue and lavendar). Also, never try to remove a
      plastic cork with an Ah-So (2-prong cork extractor) because
      they just slip and don't grip. There is some controversy over
      whether wine will age OK with plastic corks."
      GORDON
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/

      I may have the most winery links on the net, but it doesn't seem to
      matter. Most visitors go right for a red-wine-cocktail, which can
      be made with even the cheapest of red wines! Strange that both
      runner-ups are both French wines. I'll have to try something next
      week to change this, heh heh heh ...

      #1: Sangria
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
      #2: Champagne
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
      #3: Bordeaux
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

      A week in Los Angeles managed to roast my skin, but I was quite happy
      to return to my snug home in Massachusetts. Here, the daffodils were in
      bloom, the merlot plants were growing nicely, the chickadees were singing
      and the seasons were grand! If you're looking for happy thoughts, don't
      forget to stop by my neighbor sites -
      beer.about.com and cocktails.about.com!

      Our Beer guide has just claimed in his newsletter that he feels Beer is
      more healthy than Wine. We know of course that this isn't true, but I
      shall challenge him to a jointly-run article in which we face off!!

      Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
      http://wine.about.com/
      wine.guide@...

      Enjoy these tips? Send them along to a friend!
    • eGroups
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 6, 2000
        WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
        June 5, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 18

        Summer is here! Time for fresh fruity wines, for sangria, and for
        hanging out by the water enjoying the glories of nature!

        CONTENTS:
        * PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
        * MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
        * WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
        * CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
        * WINE & CHEESE

        PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
        Yes, it nearly wiped out all vineyards in Europe. Not bad for one
        little louse. Still, is there a good side to that?
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa052900.htm

        Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
        <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm">
        http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm</A>

        MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
        As wineries increase the amount of information on their labels
        and websites, often winedrinkers see that a wine has undergone
        malolactic fermentation to achieve its current flavor. What is this
        kind of fermentation, and what does it do to a wine?
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa060500.htm

        WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
        New wines added weekly - what is grenache, or sekt?
        Just who would drink Bull's Blood?
        http://wine.about.com/library/bl_winebya.htm

        CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
        http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_ch_top5.htm

        WINE & CHEESE
        http://wine.about.com/library/bl_cheese.htm

        Forum Quote of the Week:
        "I think that "responsibility" is one of the key words in your
        post. We spend far too much time shielding our children from
        both the good and bad of life, giving them every benefit,
        without teaching them that resonsibility goes along with
        privilege. As many people have posted on this topic, when
        they were exposed to alcohol in a responsible setting (home),
        they learned the right and wrong of it. Exposure to things
        good and bad are the only way we can learn what is,
        and is not, acceptable. "
        JOEMI
        http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=197.26&ctx=0

        Not only did Sangria top the wine types pages this week,
        but it topped all pages on my entire site. Maybe I should
        come up with a sangria based on every type of wine ;)

        #1: Sangria
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
        #2: Champagne
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
        #3: Bordeaux
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

        My merlot plants are growing quite nicely, and plans for
        summer include a trip out to Long Island and to a few
        other wineries in the area. Hopefully Napa Valley as
        well! If you're looking to cook up some fun, try out
        http://frenchfood.about.com and
        http://italianfood.about.com!

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 20, 2000
          LISA'S WINE NEWS
          June 19, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 19

          What a blast we had in Long Island! Stephen from
          winestuff.com was the perfect host, and we tried
          more wines than should be possible in one day :)
          To top it off, he brought out a 1978 Chateau
          Latour with dinner! Ah, if only every weekend could
          be like that...

          CONTENTS:
          * LONG ISLAND WINERIES
          * WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
          * CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
          * CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
          * WINES OF THAILAND

          LONG ISLAND WINERIES
          They're beginning to rival Sonoma and Napa Valley -
          and their fantastic location makes it a perfect place
          to visit. What is it about these wines?
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

          Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
          <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm">
          http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm</A>

          WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
          Yup, we listened to this fantastic novel on tape while we
          drove around Long Island. Set long before wineries populated
          this playground of the rich, the inhabitants of the glittering
          world had a thing for French wines.
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

          CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
          Are crystals in your wine a sign of a deep flaw, or are they
          something naturally found in most wines?
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061200.htm

          CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_chartreuse.htm

          WINES OF THAILAND
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061400.htm

          FROM THE WINE FORUM
          "I don't like the box wine for a number of reasons but
          this is what really gets me!!!!!

          Wine has that mystic about it being in a bottle ....
          you can see it first off. second, it's the process of
          uncorking it and the sound of the "pop" of the cork.
          Third it's the smell of the cork and the wine itself.
          Forth it's the taste, (just like coke tastes better
          from a bottle)

          All of your senses are used when wine is packaged in
          a bottle. Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch, Smell they are
          all there!!!!

          I also hate that some wineries in California are
          starting to try screw tops for there bottles. There
          goes that mystic thing again, I won't even go there !!!!!!"
          Jester
          http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.3&ctx=0

          POPULAR WINE PAGES
          Sangria seems permanently stuck at the top of my wine pages'
          ranking, so I thought I'd rotate a bit. Here are the top three
          Sangria recipes people seem interested in.

          #1: Basic Sangria
          http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_basic.htm
          #2: Brenda's Sangria (our About Dating Guide)
          http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_brenda.htm
          #3: A Simple Sangria
          http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_simple.htm

          If you're looking for a fun summertime trip, don't forget that About
          has many local guides ready to help out. For starters, try out
          http://longisland.about.com New York, and
          http://northbeach.about.com of San Francisco!

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2000
            LISA'S WINE NEWS
            August 2, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 20

            Yikes, what a month! First my son was down with Walking Pneumonia
            for a week. A few days after he recovered, my boyfriend and I
            motorcycled down to Virginia for a rally and to tour the wineries.
            The next day I had a fever of 103, all thoughts of wineries were
            gone, and I barely made it back to Mass. The next few weeks are a
            blur, but I'm now recovering and slowly getting through my email
            pile. If you're waiting on an answer from me,
            I should get to you soon!

            CONTENTS:
            * THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
            * THE AROMA OF WINE
            * BASTILLE DAY
            * WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
            * CALORIES IN WINE

            THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
            For many, summer means trips to the local winery to sample
            the wines and wander the vineyards. Just what can you learn
            about those green orbs hanging on the vines?
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa080200.htm

            Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
            you using AOL? Read it on line here:
            <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm">
            http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm</A>

            THE AROMA OF WINE
            When a wine drinker raises a glass of wine, he or she often
            stops to swirl the wine, and then breathe in deeply of its
            aroma. Often this tells far more about a wine than an actual
            taste of it. Why is that?
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa072600.htm

            BASTILLE DAY
            Bastille Day in France celebrates the day, on July 14th, 1789,
            when the Bastille was stormed by the people.
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa071400.htm

            WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
            http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

            CALORIES IN WINE
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

            FROM THE WINE FORUM
            "Sniffing the cork is pure restaurant snobbish nonsense.

            The somellier should check the wine is not bad; they can
            do that by look - they have more experience of that wine
            than the customer does, and *they* can sniff the cork -
            as it would seem bad manners for them to drink the wine
            before you!

            For the restaurant to hand the cork to you and wait
            expectantly is nonsense. I have come across this more in
            the US than elsewhere. If I am at all dubious about the
            wine, then I need to taste it."
            Pinotage
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.29&ctx=0

            If you're looking for summery things to do, don't forget that
            About has many guides ready to help out. Take a look at
            http://surfing.about.com and
            http://sailing.about.com/!

            Let me know what your summer winery touring plans are - I always
            love to hear about people's winery visits!

            Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
            wine.guide@...
            http://wine.about.com

            Did you enjoy this newsletter? Share it with a friend!
          • eGroups
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 29, 2000
              LISA'S WINE NEWS
              August 28, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 21

              This is definitely the month for visiting wineries!
              I've been to quite a few this month, plus wine festivals
              and more. Have you been roaming your home area,
              looking for wines to try? Let us know in the forum
              which you liked, and why!
              We'd love to hear about your exploits.

              CONTENTS:
              * WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
              * MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
              * DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
              * LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
              * FLAG HILL IN NH

              WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
              While some people take mega-doses of antioxidant pills,
              the wine drinkers sit back and sip another glass of Chianti.
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800.htm

              Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
              you using AOL? Read it on line here:
              <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm">
              http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm</A>

              MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
              Summer and fall are perfect motorcyling weather. Are you a
              two-wheeler? If so, read about our travels and learn more
              about how to combine these two pleasures safely.
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa081400.htm

              DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
              Dessert wines, ice wines, spiced wines and more from this
              winery on the Connecticut-New York border.
              http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/ct/bl_ct_digraz_0800.htm

              LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
              http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

              FLAG HILL IN NH
              http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/nh/bl_nh_fh_800.htm

              FROM THE WINE FORUM
              "The connoisseurs held the ruby vintage up to the sunlight,
              swirled it in their glasses, and put their noses to the rim.
              "It smells like cow dung!" one exclaimed. "It won't be easy
              to swallow this one," another said. But so strong was the
              temptation to sample a 300-year-old bottle of wine recovered
              from a 17th-century Dutch warship that none of the experts on
              the panel was able to resist Friday. Indeed, they were in
              for a flavorful surprise. "There's a hint of fruit in it -
              of orange peel, marmalade and caramel. It's surprisingly
              good," said wine commentator Lucette Faber, swishing the
              liquid in her mouth as a fetid odor wafted through the
              tasting room.

              Yikes...would any of you have done it???"
              NYOUTZ
              http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=303.1&ctx=0

              Wine and food are the perfect combo! I always enjoy
              Italian Food
              http://italianfood.about.com/mbody.htm
              and
              French Food
              http://frenchfood.about.com/mbody.htm

              Are you near a winery that is going into harvest mode? Let
              us know what you see, and what they say the wines will be like!