Newsletter

  • ONElist
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 13, 2000
      WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
      March 13, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 10

      Lots of luck for St Patrick's Day! This week sees questions
      answered and good wines poured!

      CONTENTS:
      * MOST PLANTED WINE GRAPE
      * WINES OF SPAIN
      * WINE IN IRELAND?
      * WINE TOASTS!
      * WINE GLASSWARE LINKS

      MOST PLANTED WINE GRAPE
      Is is Cabernet? Chardonnay? Which grape holds the title
      of the most planted in the world's vineyards? Is it the same
      grape that makes the most wine?
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa031300.htm

      On AOL? Use the
      <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000313.htm">
      on line newsletter</A> instead for easy links!

      WINES OF SPAIN
      The maps continue to expand! Learn about the wines of Spain -
      Rioja, Cava, and more!
      http://wine.about.com/library/regions/bl_sp_index.htm

      WINE IN IRELAND?
      Just in time for St Patrick's day, learn about the drink of Ireland -
      and it's definitely not wine!
      http://wine.about.com/library/library/weekly/aa030899.htm

      WINE TOASTS!
      http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_toasts.htm

      WINE GLASSWARE LINKS
      http://wine.about.com/msub_glassware.htm

      Forum Quote of the Week:
      "If you're a fan of Brunello di Montalcino, but don't want to spend the $40+
      per bottle, try Castello Banfi's Rosso di Montalcino. It's made from the
      Brunello grape, but is aged only 1 year in oak, rather than the 4 years that
      their Brunello di Monatlcino is aged. A great value at about $20 and gives
      you some experience with Brunello. "
      --SELMRL

      http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=31.16&ctx=0

      What are the lucky drinks to toast with on the upcoming night of green?

      #1: Sangria
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
      #2: Champagne
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
      #3: Bordeaux
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

      We had a blast at the Niagara ice wine festival. I hope you read about the
      Chardonnay tasting I went to there, and more information about the various
      wineries I visited will be posted shortly! I also just went to two wine
      events at Nashoba Valley - a 'how wine is made' evening, and a 'trying
      unknown varietals'. We'll see if you recognize the varietals they chose
      for that evening!!

      Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
      http://wine.about.com/
      wine.guide@...

      Enjoy these tips? Send them along to a friend!

      ---------------------------------
    • eGroups
      Message 2 of 22 , May 2, 2000
        WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
        May 1, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 17

        Happy May Day! May Day should be a time of celebration
        for young and new, as spring once again returns to the
        world! This spring, learn more about wine and winemaking,
        and share your thoughts!

        CONTENTS:
        * MAKING DANDELION WINE
        * THE WINES OF BELTANE
        * BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
        * VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
        * THE WINES OF HUNGARY

        MAKING DANDELION WINE
        You've got the pretty yellow flowers - with a few other
        common household items, you could be making your own
        delicious dandelion wine!
        http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_dan00.htm

        Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
        <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm">
        http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm</A>

        THE WINES OF BELTAINE
        May Day - or Beltaine - is a centuries-old holiday with a rich
        tradition involving wine. Learn more about it, and what can help
        you to celebrate in style!
        http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/encyc/weekly/aa050199.htm

        BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
        Last fall we did a photoessay of making Chianti from a kit, to help
        the many new winemakers out there. It's finally gone into bottles!
        http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_ch99.htm

        VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000.htm

        THE WINES OF HUNGARY
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

        Forum Quote of the Week:
        "Some plastic corks come in disconcerting colors
        (I've seen blue and lavendar). Also, never try to remove a
        plastic cork with an Ah-So (2-prong cork extractor) because
        they just slip and don't grip. There is some controversy over
        whether wine will age OK with plastic corks."
        GORDON
        http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/

        I may have the most winery links on the net, but it doesn't seem to
        matter. Most visitors go right for a red-wine-cocktail, which can
        be made with even the cheapest of red wines! Strange that both
        runner-ups are both French wines. I'll have to try something next
        week to change this, heh heh heh ...

        #1: Sangria
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
        #2: Champagne
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
        #3: Bordeaux
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

        A week in Los Angeles managed to roast my skin, but I was quite happy
        to return to my snug home in Massachusetts. Here, the daffodils were in
        bloom, the merlot plants were growing nicely, the chickadees were singing
        and the seasons were grand! If you're looking for happy thoughts, don't
        forget to stop by my neighbor sites -
        beer.about.com and cocktails.about.com!

        Our Beer guide has just claimed in his newsletter that he feels Beer is
        more healthy than Wine. We know of course that this isn't true, but I
        shall challenge him to a jointly-run article in which we face off!!

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 6, 2000
          WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
          June 5, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 18

          Summer is here! Time for fresh fruity wines, for sangria, and for
          hanging out by the water enjoying the glories of nature!

          CONTENTS:
          * PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
          * MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
          * WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
          * CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
          * WINE & CHEESE

          PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
          Yes, it nearly wiped out all vineyards in Europe. Not bad for one
          little louse. Still, is there a good side to that?
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa052900.htm

          Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
          <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm">
          http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm</A>

          MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
          As wineries increase the amount of information on their labels
          and websites, often winedrinkers see that a wine has undergone
          malolactic fermentation to achieve its current flavor. What is this
          kind of fermentation, and what does it do to a wine?
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa060500.htm

          WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
          New wines added weekly - what is grenache, or sekt?
          Just who would drink Bull's Blood?
          http://wine.about.com/library/bl_winebya.htm

          CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
          http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_ch_top5.htm

          WINE & CHEESE
          http://wine.about.com/library/bl_cheese.htm

          Forum Quote of the Week:
          "I think that "responsibility" is one of the key words in your
          post. We spend far too much time shielding our children from
          both the good and bad of life, giving them every benefit,
          without teaching them that resonsibility goes along with
          privilege. As many people have posted on this topic, when
          they were exposed to alcohol in a responsible setting (home),
          they learned the right and wrong of it. Exposure to things
          good and bad are the only way we can learn what is,
          and is not, acceptable. "
          JOEMI
          http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=197.26&ctx=0

          Not only did Sangria top the wine types pages this week,
          but it topped all pages on my entire site. Maybe I should
          come up with a sangria based on every type of wine ;)

          #1: Sangria
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
          #2: Champagne
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
          #3: Bordeaux
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

          My merlot plants are growing quite nicely, and plans for
          summer include a trip out to Long Island and to a few
          other wineries in the area. Hopefully Napa Valley as
          well! If you're looking to cook up some fun, try out
          http://frenchfood.about.com and
          http://italianfood.about.com!

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 20, 2000
            LISA'S WINE NEWS
            June 19, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 19

            What a blast we had in Long Island! Stephen from
            winestuff.com was the perfect host, and we tried
            more wines than should be possible in one day :)
            To top it off, he brought out a 1978 Chateau
            Latour with dinner! Ah, if only every weekend could
            be like that...

            CONTENTS:
            * LONG ISLAND WINERIES
            * WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
            * CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
            * CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
            * WINES OF THAILAND

            LONG ISLAND WINERIES
            They're beginning to rival Sonoma and Napa Valley -
            and their fantastic location makes it a perfect place
            to visit. What is it about these wines?
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

            Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
            <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm">
            http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm</A>

            WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
            Yup, we listened to this fantastic novel on tape while we
            drove around Long Island. Set long before wineries populated
            this playground of the rich, the inhabitants of the glittering
            world had a thing for French wines.
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

            CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
            Are crystals in your wine a sign of a deep flaw, or are they
            something naturally found in most wines?
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061200.htm

            CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_chartreuse.htm

            WINES OF THAILAND
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061400.htm

            FROM THE WINE FORUM
            "I don't like the box wine for a number of reasons but
            this is what really gets me!!!!!

            Wine has that mystic about it being in a bottle ....
            you can see it first off. second, it's the process of
            uncorking it and the sound of the "pop" of the cork.
            Third it's the smell of the cork and the wine itself.
            Forth it's the taste, (just like coke tastes better
            from a bottle)

            All of your senses are used when wine is packaged in
            a bottle. Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch, Smell they are
            all there!!!!

            I also hate that some wineries in California are
            starting to try screw tops for there bottles. There
            goes that mystic thing again, I won't even go there !!!!!!"
            Jester
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.3&ctx=0

            POPULAR WINE PAGES
            Sangria seems permanently stuck at the top of my wine pages'
            ranking, so I thought I'd rotate a bit. Here are the top three
            Sangria recipes people seem interested in.

            #1: Basic Sangria
            http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_basic.htm
            #2: Brenda's Sangria (our About Dating Guide)
            http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_brenda.htm
            #3: A Simple Sangria
            http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_simple.htm

            If you're looking for a fun summertime trip, don't forget that About
            has many local guides ready to help out. For starters, try out
            http://longisland.about.com New York, and
            http://northbeach.about.com of San Francisco!

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4, 2000
              LISA'S WINE NEWS
              August 2, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 20

              Yikes, what a month! First my son was down with Walking Pneumonia
              for a week. A few days after he recovered, my boyfriend and I
              motorcycled down to Virginia for a rally and to tour the wineries.
              The next day I had a fever of 103, all thoughts of wineries were
              gone, and I barely made it back to Mass. The next few weeks are a
              blur, but I'm now recovering and slowly getting through my email
              pile. If you're waiting on an answer from me,
              I should get to you soon!

              CONTENTS:
              * THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
              * THE AROMA OF WINE
              * BASTILLE DAY
              * WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
              * CALORIES IN WINE

              THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
              For many, summer means trips to the local winery to sample
              the wines and wander the vineyards. Just what can you learn
              about those green orbs hanging on the vines?
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa080200.htm

              Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
              you using AOL? Read it on line here:
              <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm">
              http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm</A>

              THE AROMA OF WINE
              When a wine drinker raises a glass of wine, he or she often
              stops to swirl the wine, and then breathe in deeply of its
              aroma. Often this tells far more about a wine than an actual
              taste of it. Why is that?
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa072600.htm

              BASTILLE DAY
              Bastille Day in France celebrates the day, on July 14th, 1789,
              when the Bastille was stormed by the people.
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa071400.htm

              WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
              http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

              CALORIES IN WINE
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

              FROM THE WINE FORUM
              "Sniffing the cork is pure restaurant snobbish nonsense.

              The somellier should check the wine is not bad; they can
              do that by look - they have more experience of that wine
              than the customer does, and *they* can sniff the cork -
              as it would seem bad manners for them to drink the wine
              before you!

              For the restaurant to hand the cork to you and wait
              expectantly is nonsense. I have come across this more in
              the US than elsewhere. If I am at all dubious about the
              wine, then I need to taste it."
              Pinotage
              http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.29&ctx=0

              If you're looking for summery things to do, don't forget that
              About has many guides ready to help out. Take a look at
              http://surfing.about.com and
              http://sailing.about.com/!

              Let me know what your summer winery touring plans are - I always
              love to hear about people's winery visits!

              Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
              wine.guide@...
              http://wine.about.com

              Did you enjoy this newsletter? Share it with a friend!
            • eGroups
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 29, 2000
                LISA'S WINE NEWS
                August 28, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 21

                This is definitely the month for visiting wineries!
                I've been to quite a few this month, plus wine festivals
                and more. Have you been roaming your home area,
                looking for wines to try? Let us know in the forum
                which you liked, and why!
                We'd love to hear about your exploits.

                CONTENTS:
                * WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
                * MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
                * DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
                * LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                * FLAG HILL IN NH

                WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
                While some people take mega-doses of antioxidant pills,
                the wine drinkers sit back and sip another glass of Chianti.
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800.htm

                Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
                you using AOL? Read it on line here:
                <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm">
                http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm</A>

                MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
                Summer and fall are perfect motorcyling weather. Are you a
                two-wheeler? If so, read about our travels and learn more
                about how to combine these two pleasures safely.
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa081400.htm

                DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
                Dessert wines, ice wines, spiced wines and more from this
                winery on the Connecticut-New York border.
                http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/ct/bl_ct_digraz_0800.htm

                LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

                FLAG HILL IN NH
                http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/nh/bl_nh_fh_800.htm

                FROM THE WINE FORUM
                "The connoisseurs held the ruby vintage up to the sunlight,
                swirled it in their glasses, and put their noses to the rim.
                "It smells like cow dung!" one exclaimed. "It won't be easy
                to swallow this one," another said. But so strong was the
                temptation to sample a 300-year-old bottle of wine recovered
                from a 17th-century Dutch warship that none of the experts on
                the panel was able to resist Friday. Indeed, they were in
                for a flavorful surprise. "There's a hint of fruit in it -
                of orange peel, marmalade and caramel. It's surprisingly
                good," said wine commentator Lucette Faber, swishing the
                liquid in her mouth as a fetid odor wafted through the
                tasting room.

                Yikes...would any of you have done it???"
                NYOUTZ
                http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=303.1&ctx=0

                Wine and food are the perfect combo! I always enjoy
                Italian Food
                http://italianfood.about.com/mbody.htm
                and
                French Food
                http://frenchfood.about.com/mbody.htm

                Are you near a winery that is going into harvest mode? Let
                us know what you see, and what they say the wines will be like!