Newsletter

  • ONElist
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 10, 2000
      WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
      January 10, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 1

      I'm back! It was the flu, and not the Y2K
      bug, which laid me low. Thanks to all the
      people who wrote asking after me! A good
      dose or 8 of port seems to have done the
      trick! Wine ... now 1002 uses :)

      CONTENTS:
      * MUCH ADO ABOUT MARSALA
      * WINES OF THE CENTURY
      * HOW TO ...
      * URBAN MYTHS ABOUT WINE
      * SAUTERNES, DELICIOUS DESSERT WINE

      MUCH ADO ABOUT MARSALA
      Shakespeare wrote this witty romp about the hills of
      Sicily - an island well known for its delicious drink!
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa011000.htm

      On AOL? Click
      <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000110.htm">
      Here for an easy to use format</A>!

      WINES OF THE CENTURY
      Part of a Y2K spoof, this feature talked about the new
      wines of 1900! Great fun :)
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa010100.htm

      HOW TO ...
      How to decant wine, how to run a wine tasting, how to make
      your own wine, and much more!
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/encyc/bl_howto.htm

      URBAN MYTHS ABOUT WINE
      http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_urban.htm

      SAUTERNES, DELICIOUS DESSERT WINE
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sauternes.htm

      Forum Quote of the Week:
      "While I'm pretty comfortable with the standard California and
      French wines, the Super Tuscans that are getting so much
      attention are a total mystery to me. Before going out and
      spending a lot of money on the highly recommended ones
      from Parker or Wine Spectator I was wondering if folks
      out there had recommendations of wines to buy
      (say under $20) to get my feet wet."
      --JOK
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=176.1&ctx=0

      Yes, hits for the week up to the new year were ... high in
      Champagne-related things :) In a surprise move, Asti lept to
      spot #3!! Bordeaux was also popular, sliding up the scale ...

      #1: Champagne
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
      #2: Sangria
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
      #3: Asti Spumanti
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_asti.htm

      I'm SO glad the Y2K bug is behind us. My boyfriend and I
      are both programmers, so we can get some sleep :) And now
      I can answer questions on topics other than Champagne! Not
      that I MIND drinking lots of Champagne, of course :)

      Have a fantastic new year!!

      Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
      http://wine.about.com

      Enjoy this newsletter? Forward it along to a friend!

      ---------------------------------
      To start your exploration of About.com visit http://home.about.com
      where you'll find expert guidance on thousands of topics.
    • ONElist
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 13, 2000
        WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
        March 13, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 10

        Lots of luck for St Patrick's Day! This week sees questions
        answered and good wines poured!

        CONTENTS:
        * MOST PLANTED WINE GRAPE
        * WINES OF SPAIN
        * WINE IN IRELAND?
        * WINE TOASTS!
        * WINE GLASSWARE LINKS

        MOST PLANTED WINE GRAPE
        Is is Cabernet? Chardonnay? Which grape holds the title
        of the most planted in the world's vineyards? Is it the same
        grape that makes the most wine?
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa031300.htm

        On AOL? Use the
        <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000313.htm">
        on line newsletter</A> instead for easy links!

        WINES OF SPAIN
        The maps continue to expand! Learn about the wines of Spain -
        Rioja, Cava, and more!
        http://wine.about.com/library/regions/bl_sp_index.htm

        WINE IN IRELAND?
        Just in time for St Patrick's day, learn about the drink of Ireland -
        and it's definitely not wine!
        http://wine.about.com/library/library/weekly/aa030899.htm

        WINE TOASTS!
        http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_toasts.htm

        WINE GLASSWARE LINKS
        http://wine.about.com/msub_glassware.htm

        Forum Quote of the Week:
        "If you're a fan of Brunello di Montalcino, but don't want to spend the $40+
        per bottle, try Castello Banfi's Rosso di Montalcino. It's made from the
        Brunello grape, but is aged only 1 year in oak, rather than the 4 years that
        their Brunello di Monatlcino is aged. A great value at about $20 and gives
        you some experience with Brunello. "
        --SELMRL

        http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=31.16&ctx=0

        What are the lucky drinks to toast with on the upcoming night of green?

        #1: Sangria
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
        #2: Champagne
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
        #3: Bordeaux
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

        We had a blast at the Niagara ice wine festival. I hope you read about the
        Chardonnay tasting I went to there, and more information about the various
        wineries I visited will be posted shortly! I also just went to two wine
        events at Nashoba Valley - a 'how wine is made' evening, and a 'trying
        unknown varietals'. We'll see if you recognize the varietals they chose
        for that evening!!

        Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
        http://wine.about.com/
        wine.guide@...

        Enjoy these tips? Send them along to a friend!

        ---------------------------------
      • eGroups
        Message 3 of 22 , May 2, 2000
          WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
          May 1, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 17

          Happy May Day! May Day should be a time of celebration
          for young and new, as spring once again returns to the
          world! This spring, learn more about wine and winemaking,
          and share your thoughts!

          CONTENTS:
          * MAKING DANDELION WINE
          * THE WINES OF BELTANE
          * BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
          * VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
          * THE WINES OF HUNGARY

          MAKING DANDELION WINE
          You've got the pretty yellow flowers - with a few other
          common household items, you could be making your own
          delicious dandelion wine!
          http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_dan00.htm

          Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
          <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm">
          http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm</A>

          THE WINES OF BELTAINE
          May Day - or Beltaine - is a centuries-old holiday with a rich
          tradition involving wine. Learn more about it, and what can help
          you to celebrate in style!
          http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/encyc/weekly/aa050199.htm

          BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
          Last fall we did a photoessay of making Chianti from a kit, to help
          the many new winemakers out there. It's finally gone into bottles!
          http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_ch99.htm

          VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000.htm

          THE WINES OF HUNGARY
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

          Forum Quote of the Week:
          "Some plastic corks come in disconcerting colors
          (I've seen blue and lavendar). Also, never try to remove a
          plastic cork with an Ah-So (2-prong cork extractor) because
          they just slip and don't grip. There is some controversy over
          whether wine will age OK with plastic corks."
          GORDON
          http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/

          I may have the most winery links on the net, but it doesn't seem to
          matter. Most visitors go right for a red-wine-cocktail, which can
          be made with even the cheapest of red wines! Strange that both
          runner-ups are both French wines. I'll have to try something next
          week to change this, heh heh heh ...

          #1: Sangria
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
          #2: Champagne
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
          #3: Bordeaux
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

          A week in Los Angeles managed to roast my skin, but I was quite happy
          to return to my snug home in Massachusetts. Here, the daffodils were in
          bloom, the merlot plants were growing nicely, the chickadees were singing
          and the seasons were grand! If you're looking for happy thoughts, don't
          forget to stop by my neighbor sites -
          beer.about.com and cocktails.about.com!

          Our Beer guide has just claimed in his newsletter that he feels Beer is
          more healthy than Wine. We know of course that this isn't true, but I
          shall challenge him to a jointly-run article in which we face off!!

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 6, 2000
            WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
            June 5, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 18

            Summer is here! Time for fresh fruity wines, for sangria, and for
            hanging out by the water enjoying the glories of nature!

            CONTENTS:
            * PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
            * MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
            * WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
            * CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
            * WINE & CHEESE

            PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
            Yes, it nearly wiped out all vineyards in Europe. Not bad for one
            little louse. Still, is there a good side to that?
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa052900.htm

            Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
            <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm">
            http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm</A>

            MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
            As wineries increase the amount of information on their labels
            and websites, often winedrinkers see that a wine has undergone
            malolactic fermentation to achieve its current flavor. What is this
            kind of fermentation, and what does it do to a wine?
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa060500.htm

            WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
            New wines added weekly - what is grenache, or sekt?
            Just who would drink Bull's Blood?
            http://wine.about.com/library/bl_winebya.htm

            CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
            http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_ch_top5.htm

            WINE & CHEESE
            http://wine.about.com/library/bl_cheese.htm

            Forum Quote of the Week:
            "I think that "responsibility" is one of the key words in your
            post. We spend far too much time shielding our children from
            both the good and bad of life, giving them every benefit,
            without teaching them that resonsibility goes along with
            privilege. As many people have posted on this topic, when
            they were exposed to alcohol in a responsible setting (home),
            they learned the right and wrong of it. Exposure to things
            good and bad are the only way we can learn what is,
            and is not, acceptable. "
            JOEMI
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=197.26&ctx=0

            Not only did Sangria top the wine types pages this week,
            but it topped all pages on my entire site. Maybe I should
            come up with a sangria based on every type of wine ;)

            #1: Sangria
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
            #2: Champagne
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
            #3: Bordeaux
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

            My merlot plants are growing quite nicely, and plans for
            summer include a trip out to Long Island and to a few
            other wineries in the area. Hopefully Napa Valley as
            well! If you're looking to cook up some fun, try out
            http://frenchfood.about.com and
            http://italianfood.about.com!

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 20, 2000
              LISA'S WINE NEWS
              June 19, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 19

              What a blast we had in Long Island! Stephen from
              winestuff.com was the perfect host, and we tried
              more wines than should be possible in one day :)
              To top it off, he brought out a 1978 Chateau
              Latour with dinner! Ah, if only every weekend could
              be like that...

              CONTENTS:
              * LONG ISLAND WINERIES
              * WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
              * CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
              * CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
              * WINES OF THAILAND

              LONG ISLAND WINERIES
              They're beginning to rival Sonoma and Napa Valley -
              and their fantastic location makes it a perfect place
              to visit. What is it about these wines?
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

              Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
              <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm">
              http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm</A>

              WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
              Yup, we listened to this fantastic novel on tape while we
              drove around Long Island. Set long before wineries populated
              this playground of the rich, the inhabitants of the glittering
              world had a thing for French wines.
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

              CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
              Are crystals in your wine a sign of a deep flaw, or are they
              something naturally found in most wines?
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061200.htm

              CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
              http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_chartreuse.htm

              WINES OF THAILAND
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061400.htm

              FROM THE WINE FORUM
              "I don't like the box wine for a number of reasons but
              this is what really gets me!!!!!

              Wine has that mystic about it being in a bottle ....
              you can see it first off. second, it's the process of
              uncorking it and the sound of the "pop" of the cork.
              Third it's the smell of the cork and the wine itself.
              Forth it's the taste, (just like coke tastes better
              from a bottle)

              All of your senses are used when wine is packaged in
              a bottle. Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch, Smell they are
              all there!!!!

              I also hate that some wineries in California are
              starting to try screw tops for there bottles. There
              goes that mystic thing again, I won't even go there !!!!!!"
              Jester
              http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.3&ctx=0

              POPULAR WINE PAGES
              Sangria seems permanently stuck at the top of my wine pages'
              ranking, so I thought I'd rotate a bit. Here are the top three
              Sangria recipes people seem interested in.

              #1: Basic Sangria
              http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_basic.htm
              #2: Brenda's Sangria (our About Dating Guide)
              http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_brenda.htm
              #3: A Simple Sangria
              http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_simple.htm

              If you're looking for a fun summertime trip, don't forget that About
              has many local guides ready to help out. For starters, try out
              http://longisland.about.com New York, and
              http://northbeach.about.com of San Francisco!

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 4, 2000
                LISA'S WINE NEWS
                August 2, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 20

                Yikes, what a month! First my son was down with Walking Pneumonia
                for a week. A few days after he recovered, my boyfriend and I
                motorcycled down to Virginia for a rally and to tour the wineries.
                The next day I had a fever of 103, all thoughts of wineries were
                gone, and I barely made it back to Mass. The next few weeks are a
                blur, but I'm now recovering and slowly getting through my email
                pile. If you're waiting on an answer from me,
                I should get to you soon!

                CONTENTS:
                * THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
                * THE AROMA OF WINE
                * BASTILLE DAY
                * WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                * CALORIES IN WINE

                THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
                For many, summer means trips to the local winery to sample
                the wines and wander the vineyards. Just what can you learn
                about those green orbs hanging on the vines?
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa080200.htm

                Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
                you using AOL? Read it on line here:
                <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm">
                http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm</A>

                THE AROMA OF WINE
                When a wine drinker raises a glass of wine, he or she often
                stops to swirl the wine, and then breathe in deeply of its
                aroma. Often this tells far more about a wine than an actual
                taste of it. Why is that?
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa072600.htm

                BASTILLE DAY
                Bastille Day in France celebrates the day, on July 14th, 1789,
                when the Bastille was stormed by the people.
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa071400.htm

                WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

                CALORIES IN WINE
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

                FROM THE WINE FORUM
                "Sniffing the cork is pure restaurant snobbish nonsense.

                The somellier should check the wine is not bad; they can
                do that by look - they have more experience of that wine
                than the customer does, and *they* can sniff the cork -
                as it would seem bad manners for them to drink the wine
                before you!

                For the restaurant to hand the cork to you and wait
                expectantly is nonsense. I have come across this more in
                the US than elsewhere. If I am at all dubious about the
                wine, then I need to taste it."
                Pinotage
                http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.29&ctx=0

                If you're looking for summery things to do, don't forget that
                About has many guides ready to help out. Take a look at
                http://surfing.about.com and
                http://sailing.about.com/!

                Let me know what your summer winery touring plans are - I always
                love to hear about people's winery visits!

                Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
                wine.guide@...
                http://wine.about.com

                Did you enjoy this newsletter? Share it with a friend!
              • eGroups
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 29, 2000
                  LISA'S WINE NEWS
                  August 28, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 21

                  This is definitely the month for visiting wineries!
                  I've been to quite a few this month, plus wine festivals
                  and more. Have you been roaming your home area,
                  looking for wines to try? Let us know in the forum
                  which you liked, and why!
                  We'd love to hear about your exploits.

                  CONTENTS:
                  * WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
                  * MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
                  * DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
                  * LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                  * FLAG HILL IN NH

                  WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
                  While some people take mega-doses of antioxidant pills,
                  the wine drinkers sit back and sip another glass of Chianti.
                  http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800.htm

                  Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
                  you using AOL? Read it on line here:
                  <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm">
                  http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm</A>

                  MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
                  Summer and fall are perfect motorcyling weather. Are you a
                  two-wheeler? If so, read about our travels and learn more
                  about how to combine these two pleasures safely.
                  http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa081400.htm

                  DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
                  Dessert wines, ice wines, spiced wines and more from this
                  winery on the Connecticut-New York border.
                  http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/ct/bl_ct_digraz_0800.htm

                  LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                  http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

                  FLAG HILL IN NH
                  http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/nh/bl_nh_fh_800.htm

                  FROM THE WINE FORUM
                  "The connoisseurs held the ruby vintage up to the sunlight,
                  swirled it in their glasses, and put their noses to the rim.
                  "It smells like cow dung!" one exclaimed. "It won't be easy
                  to swallow this one," another said. But so strong was the
                  temptation to sample a 300-year-old bottle of wine recovered
                  from a 17th-century Dutch warship that none of the experts on
                  the panel was able to resist Friday. Indeed, they were in
                  for a flavorful surprise. "There's a hint of fruit in it -
                  of orange peel, marmalade and caramel. It's surprisingly
                  good," said wine commentator Lucette Faber, swishing the
                  liquid in her mouth as a fetid odor wafted through the
                  tasting room.

                  Yikes...would any of you have done it???"
                  NYOUTZ
                  http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=303.1&ctx=0

                  Wine and food are the perfect combo! I always enjoy
                  Italian Food
                  http://italianfood.about.com/mbody.htm
                  and
                  French Food
                  http://frenchfood.about.com/mbody.htm

                  Are you near a winery that is going into harvest mode? Let
                  us know what you see, and what they say the wines will be like!