Newsletter

  • ONElist
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 9, 1999
      WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
      December 6, 1999 - Vol. 1, No. 25

      Eeeek, I still haven't done my holiday shopping!
      Tonight I'll go on the net and click away until
      everything is set :) The best part of course is
      that I can drink wine while I do that!

      CONTENTS:
      * WHAT IS DOM PERIGNON?
      * YEAR 2000 PARTY PLANNING
      * MEAD, THE TRADITIONAL DRINK
      * NEW CONTEST - RED? CALIFORNIAN?
      * HOLIDAY PRESENT - BUILD A WINE RACK!

      WHAT IS DOM PERIGNON?
      Just why do some Champagnes cost more than
      others, and what are those top names really about?
      Learn some trivia for your next party!
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa120299.htm

      (AOL users:
      <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_991206.htm">
      Click Here</A>)

      YEAR 2000 PARTY PLANNING
      This "rolling of the numbers" is spawning some
      huge parties! Get tips on what to buy, cheeses
      to match it, and balloons and bubbles!
      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa120399.htm

      MEAD, THE TRADITIONAL DRINK
      Mead is wine made from honey, and it's very
      popular around the holidays. Dating back to the
      Vikings and beyond, it's a drink of the ages!
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_mead.htm

      NEW CONTEST - RED? CALIFORNIAN?
      http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_9912.htm

      HOLIDAY PRESENT - BUILD A WINE RACK!
      http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/winerack/bl_winerack.htm

      Forum Quote of the Week:
      "My husband and I are putting up the Christmas tree tonight.
      I thought it would be nice to try the shiraz/cab blend just before
      we put it up. If we like the wine, and finish off the bottle,
      who knows what this tree will look like when we're thru. "
      --KATHY
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=131.21&ctx=0

      Hey, Beaujolais is hanging in there! Champange is still hugely
      popular, too. Port has moved up to fourth, though! It's the winter
      drink, to warm you from the inside :)

      #1: Beaujolais
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_beauj.htm
      #2: Champagne
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
      #3: Sangria
      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm

      I've been meading a lot recently, trying various
      styles. Now to do some recipes for mulled wines,
      for our various parties! One holiday party is
      being held at the local ski resort - what a
      combination!

      Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
      http://wine.about.com/
      wine.guide@...

      Enjoy the newsletter? Send it along to a friend!

      ---------------------------------
      To start your exploration of About.com visit http://home.about.com
      where you'll find expert guidance on thousands of topics.

      About.com - Human Guides. Human Interests.
    • ONElist
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 15, 1999
        WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
        December 13, 1999 - Vol. 1, No. 26

        Aha! The net strikes again. All my shopping was
        done in one night! Now to wait for it to arrive.
        The Nutcracker in Boston was great fun, and we
        got to have German wine and some port too!

        CONTENTS:
        * HOW TO CHOOSE A WINE CLUB
        * NUTCRACKER - RUSSIAN WINES
        * IT'S SPARKLING! IT'S SPANISH!
        * HOW TO RUN A HOLIDAY WINE TASTING
        * WINE GODS - GIVE THEM A TOAST!

        HOW TO CHOOSE A WINE CLUB
        Want the gift that keeps on giving? A monthly
        wine club might be the answer for your wine-
        loving friends (or for yourself!)
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa120799.htm

        (AOL users:
        <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_991213.htm">
        Click Here</A>)

        NUTCRACKER - RUSSIAN WINES
        There are great wines from Moldova, Ukraine,
        Georgia and many other former Russian republics.
        Learn about them as the sugar plums dance!
        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa121099.htm

        IT'S SPARKLING! IT'S SPANISH!
        Cava is the sparkling sensation from Spain that
        often is a person's first introduction into sparkling
        wines. Learn more about it!
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_cava.htm

        HOW TO RUN A HOLIDAY WINE TASTING
        http://wine.about.com/library/bl_tasting.htm

        WINE GODS - GIVE THEM A TOAST!
        http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_winegods.htm

        Forum Quote of the Week:
        "I want to say Sake is Sake. It is not rice wine nor beer.
        In Japan. Sake has it's own independence value as SAKE.
        Please understand it. To put sake into Wine or Beer categories
        is western method. Sorry I can't agree to that. Sake is from a
        part of Asia. not from western countries. "
        --HKos
        http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=140.9&ctx=0

        Beaujolais has vanished! It had its moment in the
        sun. Mulled Wine is another one of the popular
        drinks of the moment ...

        #2: Champagne
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
        #3: Sangria
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
        #1: Port
        http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_port.htm

        Some of the wine shippers are getting tricky! They
        now ship to your local wine store, so you get the
        selection of the web but the convenience of local
        delivery, even in states with restrictive laws. Now to
        get one to stock Greek and Russian wines!!

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 22, 1999
          WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
          December 20, 1999 - Vol. 1, No. 27

          I love the holidays. Christmas Trees with sparkling
          lights, candles in windows, and for some reason I
          love watching Fiddler on the Roof around now.
          Vivaldi's Four Seasons is another favorite. What
          do the holidays mean to you?

          CONTENTS:
          * MAKING A NEAT WINE HOLDER
          * LESSON 3: ZIN & PIN(OT)
          * LISA'S BEATEN AT HER OWN GAME
          * CHEESE & WINE TIPS FOR PARTIES
          * KNOW A JEROBOAM FROM A MAGNUM!

          MAKING A NEAT WINE HOLDER
          You've seen them before! Those balancing wine holders
          that seem to defy gravity. They're really very simple!
          Grab a piece of wood - there's time left for a New
          Year's present!
          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa122099.htm

          (AOL users:
          <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_991220.htm">
          Click Here</A>)

          LESSON 3: ZIN & PIN(OT)
          Are you learning about red wines? Try this comparison
          of two inexpensive reds, to see what makes each one
          unique and to further learn about wines!
          http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/lessons/bl_les_03.htm

          LISA'S BEATEN AT HER OWN GAME
          Yikes! I didn't think it could be done, but my score on the
          Pinot Noir game has been bested! Rob Daviau got it in 166
          moves. He works at Hasbro though - he has practice at these
          things!!
          http://wine.about.com/library/games/bl_gm_sq_pn.htm

          CHEESE & WINE TIPS FOR PARTIES
          http://wine.about.com/library/bl_cheese.htm

          KNOW A JEROBOAM FROM A MAGNUM!
          http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_sizes.htm

          Forum Quote of the Week:
          "Everyone that enjoys wine, whether casually or zealously,
          should at least once in their life try retsina,
          white wine aged in *gasp* pine. I had it once at a
          Greek restaurant. I absolutely hated it. It tasted
          more like floor polish than grapes. But, it was an
          incredibly interesting experience and one that I
          recommend to everyone. Just don't expect anything good."
          --NALCIVAR
          http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=109.14&ctx=0

          Ah, the holidays, with their toasts and warmed wines. I always
          think of port, which is high on the list too. What else do
          people drink when the holidays surround us?

          #1: Champagne
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
          #2: Sangria
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
          #3: Mulled Wine
          http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_mulled.htm

          I hope everyone has a delightful and restful holiday season,
          and a smooth transition into the new year!

          Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
          http://wine.about.com/
          wine.guide@...

          Enjoy this newsletter? Send it along to a friend!

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 28, 1999
            WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
            December 27, 1999 - Vol. 1, No. 28

            The last newsletter of 1999!! Pretty amazing,
            eh? I remember when those millennium countdowns
            (incorrectly counting until 12-31-99) started up.
            Now there is just over four days left! I've got
            my supply of wine in the cellar, so I'm set
            for anything!

            CONTENTS:
            * THE CHAMPAGNE WIDOWS
            * CHAMPAGNE & CHEESE BASKET
            * CHAMPANGE & CHEESE
            * CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS
            * METHODE CHAMPENOISE

            THE CHAMPAGNE WIDOWS
            With all this hype about Champagne, let's not forget
            five fiesty females who created some of the most well
            known names in the industry!
            http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa122799.htm

            (AOL USERS: <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_991227.htm">
            Click Here</A>

            CHAMPAGNE & CHEESE BASKET
            Need a gift for the host and hostess? This fine creation
            from the Basketry guide fits the bill perfectly! Personal,
            delicious, and easy to make, too!
            http://basketry.about.com/library/weekly/aa122799a.htm

            CHAMPANGE & CHEESE
            Yes, we know you're probably drinking Champagne for the next few
            days. What are you eating along with it? Read through these
            suggestions by the Cheese Guide on what pairs perfectly!
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ_chs.htm

            CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS
            http://cocktails.about.com/library/recipes/blchampagnewinemenu.htm

            METHODE CHAMPENOISE
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ_proc.htm

            Forum Quote of the Week:
            "We had to move several cases of wine years ago and had some
            bottles of Bollinger vintage champagne along with California
            cabs which got accidently left out in the hot sun for part
            of the afternoon. The bottles were warm to the touch. We tried
            a bunch over the next months just to see how they were. The
            cabs from the heated lot seemed only a little bit less fruity
            than the same bottles that had been stored OK, but the
            Bollinger was like a $2.75 sparkler from Louisiana...not good."
            --DNIETER
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=142.4&ctx=0

            Guess? Anyone? Anyone? Yes, Champagne is by far the top
            most hit page on my site, along with the Top 5 Champagne
            Choices, Vintage Charts, the list goes on. I wonder if Dec 31st
            will be the most bottles of Champagne ever opened in a single
            day, in the entire history of the drink?

            #1: Champagne
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
            #2: Sangria
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
            #3: Mulled Wine
            http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_mulled.htm

            Well, this is it!! I hope everyone has a fantastic new year,
            that things go smoothly, that people spend the night doing
            whatever it is that will make them the happiest. I'll talk
            to you all in 2000!!

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 10, 2000
              WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
              January 10, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 1

              I'm back! It was the flu, and not the Y2K
              bug, which laid me low. Thanks to all the
              people who wrote asking after me! A good
              dose or 8 of port seems to have done the
              trick! Wine ... now 1002 uses :)

              CONTENTS:
              * MUCH ADO ABOUT MARSALA
              * WINES OF THE CENTURY
              * HOW TO ...
              * URBAN MYTHS ABOUT WINE
              * SAUTERNES, DELICIOUS DESSERT WINE

              MUCH ADO ABOUT MARSALA
              Shakespeare wrote this witty romp about the hills of
              Sicily - an island well known for its delicious drink!
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa011000.htm

              On AOL? Click
              <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000110.htm">
              Here for an easy to use format</A>!

              WINES OF THE CENTURY
              Part of a Y2K spoof, this feature talked about the new
              wines of 1900! Great fun :)
              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa010100.htm

              HOW TO ...
              How to decant wine, how to run a wine tasting, how to make
              your own wine, and much more!
              http://wine.about.com/library/types/encyc/bl_howto.htm

              URBAN MYTHS ABOUT WINE
              http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_urban.htm

              SAUTERNES, DELICIOUS DESSERT WINE
              http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sauternes.htm

              Forum Quote of the Week:
              "While I'm pretty comfortable with the standard California and
              French wines, the Super Tuscans that are getting so much
              attention are a total mystery to me. Before going out and
              spending a lot of money on the highly recommended ones
              from Parker or Wine Spectator I was wondering if folks
              out there had recommendations of wines to buy
              (say under $20) to get my feet wet."
              --JOK
              http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=176.1&ctx=0

              Yes, hits for the week up to the new year were ... high in
              Champagne-related things :) In a surprise move, Asti lept to
              spot #3!! Bordeaux was also popular, sliding up the scale ...

              #1: Champagne
              http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
              #2: Sangria
              http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
              #3: Asti Spumanti
              http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_asti.htm

              I'm SO glad the Y2K bug is behind us. My boyfriend and I
              are both programmers, so we can get some sleep :) And now
              I can answer questions on topics other than Champagne! Not
              that I MIND drinking lots of Champagne, of course :)

              Have a fantastic new year!!

              Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
              http://wine.about.com

              Enjoy this newsletter? Forward it along to a friend!

              ---------------------------------
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 13, 2000
                WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
                March 13, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 10

                Lots of luck for St Patrick's Day! This week sees questions
                answered and good wines poured!

                CONTENTS:
                * MOST PLANTED WINE GRAPE
                * WINES OF SPAIN
                * WINE IN IRELAND?
                * WINE TOASTS!
                * WINE GLASSWARE LINKS

                MOST PLANTED WINE GRAPE
                Is is Cabernet? Chardonnay? Which grape holds the title
                of the most planted in the world's vineyards? Is it the same
                grape that makes the most wine?
                http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa031300.htm

                On AOL? Use the
                <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000313.htm">
                on line newsletter</A> instead for easy links!

                WINES OF SPAIN
                The maps continue to expand! Learn about the wines of Spain -
                Rioja, Cava, and more!
                http://wine.about.com/library/regions/bl_sp_index.htm

                WINE IN IRELAND?
                Just in time for St Patrick's day, learn about the drink of Ireland -
                and it's definitely not wine!
                http://wine.about.com/library/library/weekly/aa030899.htm

                WINE TOASTS!
                http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_toasts.htm

                WINE GLASSWARE LINKS
                http://wine.about.com/msub_glassware.htm

                Forum Quote of the Week:
                "If you're a fan of Brunello di Montalcino, but don't want to spend the $40+
                per bottle, try Castello Banfi's Rosso di Montalcino. It's made from the
                Brunello grape, but is aged only 1 year in oak, rather than the 4 years that
                their Brunello di Monatlcino is aged. A great value at about $20 and gives
                you some experience with Brunello. "
                --SELMRL

                http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=31.16&ctx=0

                What are the lucky drinks to toast with on the upcoming night of green?

                #1: Sangria
                http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
                #2: Champagne
                http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
                #3: Bordeaux
                http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

                We had a blast at the Niagara ice wine festival. I hope you read about the
                Chardonnay tasting I went to there, and more information about the various
                wineries I visited will be posted shortly! I also just went to two wine
                events at Nashoba Valley - a 'how wine is made' evening, and a 'trying
                unknown varietals'. We'll see if you recognize the varietals they chose
                for that evening!!

                Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
                http://wine.about.com/
                wine.guide@...

                Enjoy these tips? Send them along to a friend!

                ---------------------------------
              • eGroups
                Message 7 of 22 , May 2, 2000
                  WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
                  May 1, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 17

                  Happy May Day! May Day should be a time of celebration
                  for young and new, as spring once again returns to the
                  world! This spring, learn more about wine and winemaking,
                  and share your thoughts!

                  CONTENTS:
                  * MAKING DANDELION WINE
                  * THE WINES OF BELTANE
                  * BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
                  * VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
                  * THE WINES OF HUNGARY

                  MAKING DANDELION WINE
                  You've got the pretty yellow flowers - with a few other
                  common household items, you could be making your own
                  delicious dandelion wine!
                  http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_dan00.htm

                  Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
                  <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm">
                  http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000501.htm</A>

                  THE WINES OF BELTAINE
                  May Day - or Beltaine - is a centuries-old holiday with a rich
                  tradition involving wine. Learn more about it, and what can help
                  you to celebrate in style!
                  http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/encyc/weekly/aa050199.htm

                  BOTTLING THE CHIANTI
                  Last fall we did a photoessay of making Chianti from a kit, to help
                  the many new winemakers out there. It's finally gone into bottles!
                  http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/making/bl_mk_ch99.htm

                  VINEYARDS OF THE WORLD
                  http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000.htm

                  THE WINES OF HUNGARY
                  http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

                  Forum Quote of the Week:
                  "Some plastic corks come in disconcerting colors
                  (I've seen blue and lavendar). Also, never try to remove a
                  plastic cork with an Ah-So (2-prong cork extractor) because
                  they just slip and don't grip. There is some controversy over
                  whether wine will age OK with plastic corks."
                  GORDON
                  http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/

                  I may have the most winery links on the net, but it doesn't seem to
                  matter. Most visitors go right for a red-wine-cocktail, which can
                  be made with even the cheapest of red wines! Strange that both
                  runner-ups are both French wines. I'll have to try something next
                  week to change this, heh heh heh ...

                  #1: Sangria
                  http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
                  #2: Champagne
                  http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
                  #3: Bordeaux
                  http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

                  A week in Los Angeles managed to roast my skin, but I was quite happy
                  to return to my snug home in Massachusetts. Here, the daffodils were in
                  bloom, the merlot plants were growing nicely, the chickadees were singing
                  and the seasons were grand! If you're looking for happy thoughts, don't
                  forget to stop by my neighbor sites -
                  beer.about.com and cocktails.about.com!

                  Our Beer guide has just claimed in his newsletter that he feels Beer is
                  more healthy than Wine. We know of course that this isn't true, but I
                  shall challenge him to a jointly-run article in which we face off!!

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 6, 2000
                    WINE FUN WITH ABOUT.COM
                    June 5, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 18

                    Summer is here! Time for fresh fruity wines, for sangria, and for
                    hanging out by the water enjoying the glories of nature!

                    CONTENTS:
                    * PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
                    * MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
                    * WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
                    * CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
                    * WINE & CHEESE

                    PHYLLOXERA - FRIEND OR FOE?
                    Yes, it nearly wiped out all vineyards in Europe. Not bad for one
                    little louse. Still, is there a good side to that?
                    http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa052900.htm

                    Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
                    <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm">
                    http://wine.about.com/food/wine/library/news/bl_nl_000605.htm</A>

                    MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION
                    As wineries increase the amount of information on their labels
                    and websites, often winedrinkers see that a wine has undergone
                    malolactic fermentation to achieve its current flavor. What is this
                    kind of fermentation, and what does it do to a wine?
                    http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa060500.htm

                    WINE ENCYCLOPEDIA GROWS
                    New wines added weekly - what is grenache, or sekt?
                    Just who would drink Bull's Blood?
                    http://wine.about.com/library/bl_winebya.htm

                    CHAMPAGNE CHOICES
                    http://wine.about.com/library/encyc/bl_ch_top5.htm

                    WINE & CHEESE
                    http://wine.about.com/library/bl_cheese.htm

                    Forum Quote of the Week:
                    "I think that "responsibility" is one of the key words in your
                    post. We spend far too much time shielding our children from
                    both the good and bad of life, giving them every benefit,
                    without teaching them that resonsibility goes along with
                    privilege. As many people have posted on this topic, when
                    they were exposed to alcohol in a responsible setting (home),
                    they learned the right and wrong of it. Exposure to things
                    good and bad are the only way we can learn what is,
                    and is not, acceptable. "
                    JOEMI
                    http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=197.26&ctx=0

                    Not only did Sangria top the wine types pages this week,
                    but it topped all pages on my entire site. Maybe I should
                    come up with a sangria based on every type of wine ;)

                    #1: Sangria
                    http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm
                    #2: Champagne
                    http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_champ.htm
                    #3: Bordeaux
                    http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_bord.htm

                    My merlot plants are growing quite nicely, and plans for
                    summer include a trip out to Long Island and to a few
                    other wineries in the area. Hopefully Napa Valley as
                    well! If you're looking to cook up some fun, try out
                    http://frenchfood.about.com and
                    http://italianfood.about.com!

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 20, 2000
                      LISA'S WINE NEWS
                      June 19, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 19

                      What a blast we had in Long Island! Stephen from
                      winestuff.com was the perfect host, and we tried
                      more wines than should be possible in one day :)
                      To top it off, he brought out a 1978 Chateau
                      Latour with dinner! Ah, if only every weekend could
                      be like that...

                      CONTENTS:
                      * LONG ISLAND WINERIES
                      * WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
                      * CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
                      * CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
                      * WINES OF THAILAND

                      LONG ISLAND WINERIES
                      They're beginning to rival Sonoma and Napa Valley -
                      and their fantastic location makes it a perfect place
                      to visit. What is it about these wines?
                      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

                      Want the web version? Visit the online newsletter:
                      <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm">
                      http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000619.htm</A>

                      WINES OF THE GREAT GATSBY
                      Yup, we listened to this fantastic novel on tape while we
                      drove around Long Island. Set long before wineries populated
                      this playground of the rich, the inhabitants of the glittering
                      world had a thing for French wines.
                      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061800.htm

                      CRYSTALS IN YOUR WINE
                      Are crystals in your wine a sign of a deep flaw, or are they
                      something naturally found in most wines?
                      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061200.htm

                      CHARTREUSE - ELIXIR OF LIFE
                      http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_chartreuse.htm

                      WINES OF THAILAND
                      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061400.htm

                      FROM THE WINE FORUM
                      "I don't like the box wine for a number of reasons but
                      this is what really gets me!!!!!

                      Wine has that mystic about it being in a bottle ....
                      you can see it first off. second, it's the process of
                      uncorking it and the sound of the "pop" of the cork.
                      Third it's the smell of the cork and the wine itself.
                      Forth it's the taste, (just like coke tastes better
                      from a bottle)

                      All of your senses are used when wine is packaged in
                      a bottle. Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch, Smell they are
                      all there!!!!

                      I also hate that some wineries in California are
                      starting to try screw tops for there bottles. There
                      goes that mystic thing again, I won't even go there !!!!!!"
                      Jester
                      http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.3&ctx=0

                      POPULAR WINE PAGES
                      Sangria seems permanently stuck at the top of my wine pages'
                      ranking, so I thought I'd rotate a bit. Here are the top three
                      Sangria recipes people seem interested in.

                      #1: Basic Sangria
                      http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_basic.htm
                      #2: Brenda's Sangria (our About Dating Guide)
                      http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_brenda.htm
                      #3: A Simple Sangria
                      http://wine.about.com/library/recipes/bl_sg_simple.htm

                      If you're looking for a fun summertime trip, don't forget that About
                      has many local guides ready to help out. For starters, try out
                      http://longisland.about.com New York, and
                      http://northbeach.about.com of San Francisco!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 4, 2000
                        LISA'S WINE NEWS
                        August 2, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 20

                        Yikes, what a month! First my son was down with Walking Pneumonia
                        for a week. A few days after he recovered, my boyfriend and I
                        motorcycled down to Virginia for a rally and to tour the wineries.
                        The next day I had a fever of 103, all thoughts of wineries were
                        gone, and I barely made it back to Mass. The next few weeks are a
                        blur, but I'm now recovering and slowly getting through my email
                        pile. If you're waiting on an answer from me,
                        I should get to you soon!

                        CONTENTS:
                        * THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
                        * THE AROMA OF WINE
                        * BASTILLE DAY
                        * WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                        * CALORIES IN WINE

                        THE GRAPES OF SUMMER
                        For many, summer means trips to the local winery to sample
                        the wines and wander the vineyards. Just what can you learn
                        about those green orbs hanging on the vines?
                        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa080200.htm

                        Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
                        you using AOL? Read it on line here:
                        <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm">
                        http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000802.htm</A>

                        THE AROMA OF WINE
                        When a wine drinker raises a glass of wine, he or she often
                        stops to swirl the wine, and then breathe in deeply of its
                        aroma. Often this tells far more about a wine than an actual
                        taste of it. Why is that?
                        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa072600.htm

                        BASTILLE DAY
                        Bastille Day in France celebrates the day, on July 14th, 1789,
                        when the Bastille was stormed by the people.
                        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa071400.htm

                        WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                        http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

                        CALORIES IN WINE
                        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa041800.htm

                        FROM THE WINE FORUM
                        "Sniffing the cork is pure restaurant snobbish nonsense.

                        The somellier should check the wine is not bad; they can
                        do that by look - they have more experience of that wine
                        than the customer does, and *they* can sniff the cork -
                        as it would seem bad manners for them to drink the wine
                        before you!

                        For the restaurant to hand the cork to you and wait
                        expectantly is nonsense. I have come across this more in
                        the US than elsewhere. If I am at all dubious about the
                        wine, then I need to taste it."
                        Pinotage
                        http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=253.29&ctx=0

                        If you're looking for summery things to do, don't forget that
                        About has many guides ready to help out. Take a look at
                        http://surfing.about.com and
                        http://sailing.about.com/!

                        Let me know what your summer winery touring plans are - I always
                        love to hear about people's winery visits!

                        Lisa Shea, Wine Guide
                        wine.guide@...
                        http://wine.about.com

                        Did you enjoy this newsletter? Share it with a friend!
                      • eGroups
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 29, 2000
                          LISA'S WINE NEWS
                          August 28, 2000 - Vol. 2, No. 21

                          This is definitely the month for visiting wineries!
                          I've been to quite a few this month, plus wine festivals
                          and more. Have you been roaming your home area,
                          looking for wines to try? Let us know in the forum
                          which you liked, and why!
                          We'd love to hear about your exploits.

                          CONTENTS:
                          * WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
                          * MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
                          * DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
                          * LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                          * FLAG HILL IN NH

                          WINE AND ANTIOXIDANTS
                          While some people take mega-doses of antioxidant pills,
                          the wine drinkers sit back and sip another glass of Chianti.
                          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800.htm

                          Would you like a formatted version of this newsletter, or are
                          you using AOL? Read it on line here:
                          <A HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm">
                          http://wine.about.com/library/news/bl_nl_000828.htm</A>

                          MOTORCYCLING TO WINERIES
                          Summer and fall are perfect motorcyling weather. Are you a
                          two-wheeler? If so, read about our travels and learn more
                          about how to combine these two pleasures safely.
                          http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa081400.htm

                          DIGRAZIA WINERY IN CT
                          Dessert wines, ice wines, spiced wines and more from this
                          winery on the Connecticut-New York border.
                          http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/ct/bl_ct_digraz_0800.htm

                          LAST DAYS - WIN A RIEDEL TASTING GLASS
                          http://wine.about.com/library/contests/bl_ct_0008.htm

                          FLAG HILL IN NH
                          http://wine.about.com/library/wineries/nh/bl_nh_fh_800.htm

                          FROM THE WINE FORUM
                          "The connoisseurs held the ruby vintage up to the sunlight,
                          swirled it in their glasses, and put their noses to the rim.
                          "It smells like cow dung!" one exclaimed. "It won't be easy
                          to swallow this one," another said. But so strong was the
                          temptation to sample a 300-year-old bottle of wine recovered
                          from a 17th-century Dutch warship that none of the experts on
                          the panel was able to resist Friday. Indeed, they were in
                          for a flavorful surprise. "There's a hint of fruit in it -
                          of orange peel, marmalade and caramel. It's surprisingly
                          good," said wine commentator Lucette Faber, swishing the
                          liquid in her mouth as a fetid odor wafted through the
                          tasting room.

                          Yikes...would any of you have done it???"
                          NYOUTZ
                          http://www.delphi.com/ab-wine/messages/?msg=303.1&ctx=0

                          Wine and food are the perfect combo! I always enjoy
                          Italian Food
                          http://italianfood.about.com/mbody.htm
                          and
                          French Food
                          http://frenchfood.about.com/mbody.htm

                          Are you near a winery that is going into harvest mode? Let
                          us know what you see, and what they say the wines will be like!