Potential wind/diesel project in Chile

  • Baring-Gould, Ian
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      Hello Everybody,

      Just in case you have not heard about this project, I thought that some of you might be interested.

      At the end of last month the Chilean Comision Nacional de Energia put on the street a solicitation on interest for the wind retrofit of a diesel power station for the community of San Juan Bautista on Isla Robinson Crusoe in the Archipelago de Juan Fernandez. This community of about 700 people is currently receiving 24h a day power using diesel fuel brought in from the mainland. CNE and the regional government is interested in using wind energy to reduce the reliance of diesel fuel.

      NREL has worked with CNE to investigate this project and following some initial assessments, CNE decided that it was worth developing as a demonstration for other similar projects within Chile.

      The following is the text of the official solicitation on interest:
      Chile: International Interest Demonstration
      Deadline: 29 March, 2004; Teresa Soffia, CNE (tsoffia@...)
      Within the framework of the National Rural Electrification Program of Chile, coordinated by the National Energy Commission (CNE) and executed by the Regional Governments through the Regional Development Secretary (SUBDERE), the Government aims to reach a goal of 90% of rural households electrification coverage in the year 2006, as well as, to improve the electric generation systems for isolated rural communities. Likewise, the Project GEF/CNE/PNUD, CHI/00/32: "Removal of Barriers for the Rural Electrification with Renewable Energies", promotes the hybridization of diesel systems with renewable energies as a way to reduce the emissions of greenhouse effect gases. All the projects of rural electrification receive a subsidy of the State of Chile to cover a percentage of the investment, defined on a case-to-case basis, according to a public and standard methodology.
      Objective of the call: The Government of Chile and the United Nations Development Program (PNUD) call to all those partnerships, consortiums and national and international businesses to formally manifest their interest in participating in the Development of a design study, in the Implementation and eventually Operation of a Hybrid Electric Generation System, Wind-Diesel, in the Robinson Crusoe Island, of the Archipelago of Juan Fernandez, in Valparaiso Region.
      Information: The following data is available, in Spanish, at: http://www.cne.cl
      * Terms of Reference for the Manifestation of Interest
      * Studies related to energy and socioeconomic aspects of the island, as well as measurements of wind carried out by the CNE during the last 2 years.

      Presentation requested to declare the interest, in conformity with the Terms of Reference:
      * Economic-financial background of the organization
      * Experience in similar projects. Indicating: dates of execution, countries, type and technical quantity of technical solutions implemented, amount of investment involved, participation in the financing (Governments, International Cooperation, Banks, etc.), and any another information of interest about the projects, as well as other technical considerations
      * Manifestation of interest in implementing the generation system and/or in operating all the wind-diesel hybrid electric system

      Limit date to present the interest declaration: Monday 29th of March 2004 until 13:00 hours.
      Place of delivery of the interest declaration: PNUD - Av. Dag Hammarskjold 3241, Vitacura, Santiago - Chile
      About the declarations: The information presented by the participants will be of exclusive internal use of the Regional Development Secretary of the Government of the Region of Valparaiso, of the National Energy Commission (CNE) and of the United Nations Development Program (PNUD).
      This information has also been published in the portals http://www.pnud.cl and http://www.cne.cl
      End of the official announcement.

      As this states, all of the information provided is in Spanish, including the project description. I have attempted to get the document translated into English, but this is taking longer than I had hoped, so instead of delaying further I decided to send out this notice and then follow with the official document if it is available in time.

      Please note that NREL also has no formal connection to this solicitation on interest.

      Please also note that the deadline for the statement of interest is two weeks from today.

      It is my view that the Chilean Government is very interested in this project, as well as the use of renewable technologies to provide power to rural communities and communities currently served with diesel. This project also represents one of the few new wind diesel power station implementation projects that I have seen recently and, if implemented successfully could lead to other such development projects in Chile and throughout the region.

      Please let me know if I can be of any more help or assistance,

      My best regards,

      Ian

      E. Ian Baring-Gould
      Senior Mechanical Engineer
      Program Leader - Rural Energy Group
      National Wind Technology Center & International Programs Office
      National Renewable Energy Laboratory - MS3811
      1617 Cole Blvd. Golden, Colorado 80401-3393 USA
      Phone: (+1) 303 384-7021 - Fax: (+1) 303 384-7097
      Email: ian_baring-gould@... www.nrel.gov